Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Strange issue here folks. I've worked on cars my whole life, but never on motorcycles. For my second oil change at 5200 miles I'd thought I would tackle it myself.

The manual calls for 4.5 quarts. Well with normal motor oil there is a window on the side of the bottle. Not on Victory oil bottles though. So finding the halfway mark of the bottle wasn't as apparent. Point being is I believe I put too much oil in. The scoot runs fine, starts fine, seems fine with one exception: When I start the motor when its warm, say after its been running and I stop for gas, the low oil indicator blips on for less than half a second. It disappears right away and the motor runs as good as always. My concern is I never saw this until I changed the oil. I checked the oil level per the instructed procedure as I was highly doubtful that it was low. The stick was reading a bit high (about 1/8" over the full line). I didn't want to replace the copper washer, so I removed the oil through the dipstick hole via a turkey baster. Checked the oil and the level seemed fine, but still see the indicator upon a warm startup. When starting from a cold state there is no low oil indication. I feel really stupid considering my background, but I guess everyone makes mistakes.

My question is did the small amount of overfill permanently damage something? I rode about 300 miles since the change and before i noticed the indicator. Like I said, runs fine, but the indicator popping up on warm start up concerns me since it wasn't there before.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not too sure if it would be from too much oil, as the dealership always puts a full 5 qts in my 2011 XC, and it runs beautifully, never had an issue with oil pressure at all. As matter of fact I discovered it was more than normal when I was checking the level and more than a few drops spilled out and the level never went down below the fill line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you TY. I guess it could have really been low. Which makes me feel a bit better as with any IC motor it's always best to have too little than too much. Just don't understand why the indicator only shows up with a warm motor. Not even half a second, but it does show up.

Edit: do all victorys have the same oil capacity?

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Tip to those who have to add half quarts: weigh the full quart container and have the scale close by as you pour, checking the weight occasionally. When you get to half the original weight, stop. I find a full quart usually weighs two pounds, so I stop at one pound. Simple, eh?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Harley trick, find a pint oil container or pint milk container and empty it (was fork oil for HD) and put oil in it and use as needed. Two pints = one quart. Good excuse for a trip - sometimes uses just a little oil and quarts take up too much room.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Always measure the oil levels with the bike VERTICAL instead of while resting on the kickstand. That will give you your TRUE levels. I recently did my first @ 5,500 and noticed that when in the kickstand 4 quarts was close but as soon as I stood the bike up, I was low so I added the additional required 1/5 quart. I simply "guesstimated" and got it pretty close. With the Victory nozzle that comes in the oil change it was fairly easy to "get it right".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Victory of Southern Maryland told me that if you leave it on the kickstand and check it, it will be the 1st three threads = full. Now I haven't changed my own oil just yet, but they told me they fill it up pretty full.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I check the oil with the bike vertical and at "normal operating temperature" per the manual. I don't have a temp gauge, so I just wait until my rpms read about 900rpm, which is what it is idling while riding.

I've looked everywhere I can see and there doesn't seem to be any leaks from a popped gasket so I know that's okay. I'm just concerned about any internal seals that I CAN'T see. Being new to the freedom motor, I'm not too knowledgeable about their inner components. I know everyone says that these motors are bullet proof, but I don't think they're bullet proof against negligence.

·
13,247 Posts
I'm not too sure if it would be from too much oil, as the dealership always puts a full 5 qts in my 2011 XC, and it runs beautifully, never had an issue with oil pressure at all. As matter of fact I discovered it was more than normal when I was checking the level and more than a few drops spilled out and the level never went down below the fill line.
So does your manual say 5qt? I dounght it.
Your dealer must be charging you for something your not getting.
All the 2008 an up motord take 4 1/2 qts when bike is straight up an down.

Ask dealer why your being charged for 5qts when the bike only takes 4 1/2 qts.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Victory of Southern Maryland told me that if you leave it on the kickstand and check it, it will be the 1st three threads = full. Now I haven't changed my own oil just yet, but they told me they fill it up pretty full.
What does "1st three threads" mean? Dipsticks on these bikes don't have "threads" where the oil touches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What does "1st three threads" mean? Dipsticks on these bikes don't have "threads" where the oil touches.

I think he means the threads where the dipstick screws into, not the dipstick itself. Which from what I've read is too much oil. But hey, if he's running fine with no issues.....

What I would really like to know is:

What, if any, damage can be caused by adding too much oil?

Could the oil level sensor be damaged by too much oil to give false readings?

Why after the motor warms up, is shut off, and started again the low oil indicator blips up as opposed to not blipping up when the motor is cold? I was apprehensive to add more oil when this started because I was sure, if anything, I had added a little over the prescribed 4.5 quarts. Too much oil can be super bad in my experience. But then again, like I said, I'm pretty ignorant to the 106 freedom and it's durability of components and tolerances to too much pressure such as adding too much oil.

I'd really like to know where the sensor is and where it is taking it's readings from. My confusion lies here; the oil check procedure states to check the level when the engine is at normal operating temperature, then wait the 3-5 minutes before checking. Does this mean just let it run in the garage until rpms are normal idling rate (between 850-900)? Or do I drive it around for a few minutes to get things circulating properly. Reason I ask is because the two aforementioned processes give two distinct oil level readings.

Sorry for what might seem to be elementary questions and issues. But I'd really like to be able to work on my own bike. I learn by doing, and asking questions.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I think he means the threads where the dipstick screws into, not the dipstick itself. Which from what I've read is too much oil. But hey, if he's running fine with no issues.....

What I would really like to know is:

What, if any, damage can be caused by adding too much oil?

Could the oil level sensor be damaged by too much oil to give false readings?

Why after the motor warms up, is shut off, and started again the low oil indicator blips up as opposed to not blipping up when the motor is cold? I was apprehensive to add more oil when this started because I was sure, if anything, I had added a little over the prescribed 4.5 quarts. Too much oil can be super bad in my experience. But then again, like I said, I'm pretty ignorant to the 106 freedom and it's durability of components and tolerances to too much pressure such as adding too much oil.

I'd really like to know where the sensor is and where it is taking it's readings from. My confusion lies here; the oil check procedure states to check the level when the engine is at normal operating temperature, then wait the 3-5 minutes before checking. Does this mean just let it run in the garage until rpms are normal idling rate (between 850-900)? Or do I drive it around for a few minutes to get things circulating properly. Reason I ask is because the two aforementioned processes give two distinct oil level readings.
If that is what he meant by the term then he is overfilling his bike BIG TIME and giving bad advice on here. To get my bike up to temps, I simply crank it, run it for about 2 minutes. Bump rev it (up & down) over the next minute so that I am basically simulating a small run. Sorry but I don't know where the sensors are but not certain why the location of them would matter. You are not going to damage an oil sensor with too much oil but having too much oil WILL prob power from ANY motor. About the only thing I think could be damaging to the engine would be the higher-than-spec oil pressures in the crank and transmission. In the crank you could eventually end up with blow-by oil into the cylinders but I would suspect that would take a while to develop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If that is what he meant by the term then he is overfilling his bike BIG TIME and giving bad advice on here.
This is true. But in all fairness he didn't advise anyone to do that. Just stated what his dealer does.

To get my bike up to temps, I simply crank it, run it for about 2 minutes. Bump rev it (up & down) over the next minute so that I am basically simulating a small run.
cool, good to know.

Sorry but I don't know where the sensors are but not certain why the location of them would matter.
I ask this because it would give me a better idea of where it's (the low oil indicator) getting the reading from. Then I would have a better idea if the sensor is damaged or if it really is too low. If it's in the lower part of the motor, then ya it's probably a little low. If it's in the upper part of the motor, when it's warm it shouldn't be saying low oil. Considering the level is within spec, it shouldn't be saying it at all. My only reasoning behind this....again, it NEVER showed up before.

You are not going to damage an oil sensor with too much oil but having too much oil WILL prob power from ANY motor. About the only thing I think could be damaging to the engine would be the higher-than-spec oil pressures in the crank and transmission. In the crank you could eventually end up with blow-by oil into the cylinders but I would suspect that would take a while to develop.
Great reply ndabunka. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Bet you guys haven't checked the oil in your family cars lately.
You can run a qrt low or full, doesn't matter except for a very small cooling loss.thumb up

·
Registered
220 Posts
this is not the same as the 2 sec low oil indication when turning the key on? mine says low oil for 2 secs when ur turn the key to on, and then it says low oil immediately after stopping the engine. a simple press of the odometer "mode" button by the clutch removes the warning. I read this in the owners manual for my 2012 vegas. I apologize for not reading what model you have but this is my experience with it, as I had worried the same thing before reading the manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is not the same as the 2 sec low oil indication when turning the key on? mine says low oil for 2 secs when ur turn the key to on, and then it says low oil immediately after stopping the engine. a simple press of the odometer "mode" button by the clutch removes the warning. I read this in the owners manual for my 2012 vegas. I apologize for not reading what model you have but this is my experience with it, as I had worried the same thing before reading the manual.
Nope, not the same. I knew about that, and yes that has happened since day one. Actually that was one of the first things the dealer pointed out to me. Plus I scrutinized the manual when I got home the day I purchased it.

This is a new issue, happens when the bike fires up and only for a fraction of a second. Never did it before the oil change.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nope, not the same. I knew about that, and yes that has happened since day one. Actually that was one of the first things the dealer pointed out to me. Plus I scrutinized the manual when I got home the day I purchased it.

This is a new issue, happens when the bike fires up and only for a fraction of a second. Never did it before the oil change.
Ok! Well then... Hopefully it turns out to be nothing, sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem Jack. Thanks for trying though!
I'm sure it is nothing as the bike runs as good as new. I'm starting to think I just didn't fill it up as much as the the tech did on the first oil change. In the manual it states that the low oil indicator will display "longer than normal" when it fires up. To me, this implies that at the correct level, it may show up upon startup.

Maybe I was getting the 5qt treatment as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts