Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined my family to do some swimming yesterday after work and I parked in the same spot I park in all the time. I was facing the parking lot while I was talking to my wife when I saw my Vic suddenly jolt sideways and settle back down after a little wiggling.
Holy F**&! I exclaimed.... Someone just hit my bike! I watched the girl get out of the car, walk back and look at the motorcycle while I was trying to make it out of the water and up the beach.

After looking at it my initial thought was she must have hit the crash bar because I saw no damage at all but then after looking at the bag in a different angle I could see a definite scuffing where her back bumper hit it. This is a Suede Titanium mind you so it will be quite difficult to make disappear.

Getting on it in the garage this morning to head to work I saw that it was definitely leaning much farther than usual and now I have it parked with a 2x4 under the kickstand to get it back up right. So bent kickstand also.

Looks to me like kickstand is about $80, just hope it's only the kickstand and nothing else.

Thoughts?
It was a teenage girl driving just not paying enough attention so I don't really want to process it through insurance and put a mark on her already.
Am I being to nice and going out of my way to help her out and fix it myself?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ask for 150 - 200 dollars and take care of the bike. This is enough that a teen will know there is a consequence to not paying attention. Of course this is after you fully check out the bike to make sure nothing else is cracked or bent.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It is your right to do as you please and I understand that you dont want to ding a teenager with a claim, but if I were you I would definitely get it in writing from her that she will pay for the repairs to your bike out of pocket or you will file a claim against her. It is not out of the realm of possibility that you will find other damage that will come at a substantial cost. Besides I'm sure her mommy and daddy will help her out.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Kid won't learn responsibility by running off. If you got her info get the money to get the bike fixed. Doesn't have to go through insurance. Her parents can deal out the punishment too but she needs to take responsibility for her actions.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Considering how difficult it's becoming to get parts for the bike particularly the plastic I would make sure you have all the info you needed to process as a claim. She may be young but won't learn a lesson if not thought the conciquences of her actions as has been mentioned

·
Registered
894 Posts
A similar occurrence years ago. Came out of the post office and my bike is laying down with a woman standing there with a dumb look on her face. Not too much damage but I told her I'm getting it fixed. Your choice whether you or your insurance company pay for it. She called her husband who quickly made the decision. I still took all of her driver and insurance information but when I gave the hubby the receipts he handed over the cash and said thanks for the opportunity of a work around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for your post. I feel a little better after reading it.

So the kid decides to leave the stop sign she has been sitting at for minutes, as I drive by. I swerve and hit the gas but she runs into the left rear quarter panel anyhow. My wife, who is with me has heard me say - over and over - If you are hit, no exceptions, call the cops.

The kid, a teen, has a learnewr's permit. While we are talking her mom drives past and stops. The mom and the kid take responsibility for the accident, give me their insurance information and say they will pay cash for the repair. If I call the cops likely the kid will lose her license, so I pass on the call.

The next day the father decides the repair estimate is too high and that his daughter was not at fault.

Oops.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Thanks for your post. I feel a little better after reading it.

So the kid decides to leave the stop sign she has been sitting at for minutes, as I drive by. I swerve and hit the gas but she runs into the left rear quarter panel anyhow. My wife, who is with me has heard me say - over and over - If you are hit, no exceptions, call the cops.

The kid, a teen, has a learnewr's permit. While we are talking her mom drives past and stops. The mom and the kid take responsibility for the accident, give me their insurance information and say they will pay cash for the repair. If I call the cops likely the kid will lose her license, so I pass on the call.

The next day the father decides the repair estimate is too high and that his daughter was not at fault.

Oops.
Your not alone. When I have given people breaks after they hit my vehicles, mostly it has bit me.
Couple of exceptions, but mostly bad memories.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I've learned that when it comes to any kind of vehicle accident, no matter how minor, to call the cops and claim it on insurance. People will say anything to get out of a situation but when it comes to taking money out of their bank account for some reason things change.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
look at the kickstand brace
Now that i like, it does not matter if it is not " pretty" but the guy who made it is happy .... Thanks for posting that ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts