Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a retired medical person. I know tons about how to take care of a human body when it is sick or injured, but I know next to nothing about motors and repair. I can do the basics but I am learning the more advanced stuff.

While I hope I am not starting a flame war, I have to ask your opinions about what tools are needed or should be on the bike for just about any roadtrip. I took a look in the tool kit supplied with the bike and I feel that it is woefully under equiped.

I know I will be getting a small air compressor. What do you feel should be on the bike? While I may not know how to repair it all right now, I would like to have goodies there should some one stop and offer to help.

Sooo, what do you suggest?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I try to keep all of the tools on my bike that I need to do small repairs. The only way to figure out what those tools are it to take something apart (clean battery cables, clutch and throttle cables, remove exhaust for neighbors, etc). All of the tools that you needed to do it should go into your bag.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I plan on getting a cheap metric but rust resistant socket set including typical sizes needed on a VIC, I just got my save-ur-ride emergency clutch cable for starters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Knife, screwdriver, pliers, set of metric allen wreches, roll of electrical tape, and the most useful thing of all ... plenty of zip ties.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Knife, screwdriver, pliers, set of metric allen wreches, roll of electrical tape, and the most useful thing of all ... plenty of zip ties.
This and a tire plug kit with CO2 charging kit.
I hope this Vic dont get like my Harley and have to carry a saddle bag FULL of tools and spare partscheers

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
In addition to the good suggestions others have already proffered, a small vice grip pliers and a compact metric socket set. I carry my tools in one of those vinyl zippered bank deposit pouches that measures about a foot long by six inches high. I've been riding 60 years now and I can't recall needing tools or tire repair stuff for my needs - it's always been used to help others in need. The air compressor I carry is one I made from taking the plastic cover off one of those cheapy (under $10) ones. It fits into a point & shoot camera bag.

·
Registered
336 Posts
IMHO

Save your ride clutch cable, a gerber multi tool, crecent wrench, few zip ties and a cell phone. Anything more get a buddy to swing by and pick up your truck and get it home.

Right tool for the right job and there is no way you can cary that much.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm with the cellphone and insurance card (roadside assistance) guys but I leave my Victory kit (full of handy miniture tools) and add a multi-tool and flashlight.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
AAA doesn't provide towing for motorcycles, I don't believe. If you join the American Motorcycle Association, motorcycle and car towing assistance is included. Yes, I'm a member of AMA.

·
Registered
755 Posts
AAA doesn't provide towing for motorcycles, I don't believe. If you join the American Motorcycle Association, motorcycle and car towing assistance is included. Yes, I'm a member of AMA.
AAA does cover motorcycles. It's a ten or fifteen bucks more a year addition to your car coverage and that also covers your RV too. (if you have one that is)
I used them to tow my bike when my fuel pump died. It was pretty funny, they send this huge flatbed to haul my bike. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I carry brotherhood :)

When I had a HD, and broke down... HD guys would stop all of the time... when I rode any other bike and broke down... HD guys would stop anyway...

I guess though, I never broke down with any other bike other than my goldwing once, but a bunch of Harley guys did stop and help.

I have yet to take my V92TC out of the neighborhood.

·
Registered
566 Posts
AAA does cover motorcycles. It's a ten or fifteen bucks more a year addition to your car coverage and that also covers your RV too. (if you have one that is)
I used them to tow my bike when my fuel pump died. It was pretty funny, they send this huge flatbed to haul my bike. :D
It might be regional. We tried to get AAA coverage for our bikes last year and were flatly told they don't cover bikes, which led us to AMA. * shrug *

Either way, towing is a must-have part of your toolkit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts