Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tools are needed to install the battery in a 14 Cross Roads?
The battery is out on a tender and I left the front cover off when I stored the bike. I know I need a 10 mm wrench and probably a 1/4 inch drive socket that size with a short extension too. Are the screws for the cover torque's or Phillip's head? Anything else I might need that someone can think of? Unfortunately my manual is with the bike and I'm not there.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
4mm allen wrench/driver for the cover

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I believe I have heard that the battery is held in place with doublesided padded tape...and is a BEAR to get out...

If someone else has changed a battery...please relate your experience to the rest of us...about time for me to change mine I think.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Same year bike and color here, Arkie. Do not remember any sticky tape on battery, but it fits snug. Not as snug as my first battery, tho. Was showing low battery symptoms at 2 months old and went to pull battery to check it. Could not get it out and had to resort to a pry bar before it would pop. Found that whoever installed battery had forced it it in about 1/4 inch to the left and into the left guide tab. The tab had punctured the battery and one of the cells finally bled out. Took battery to dealer and replaced under warranty. Hope you are using a battery tender when bike is sitting? It should double the life of the battery in my experience. 21k on my XCT and battery showing no signs of giving out. Fully expect at least 5 yrs from it. We'll see. Regards, Jim

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I'm pretty religious about using my automatic trickle charger and have almost 6 years on my battery.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me too on the battery tenders.
I've had really good luck with them.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
My battery is almost 5 years old as well and still cranking strong. I also use a battery tender but I only hook my batteries up once, sometimes twice a month. I let them charge for a day or two and then do it again 3 or 4 weeks later. I also ride at least once a week year around unless the roads are caked with salt and it hasn't rained to wash it off.

·
12,983 Posts
my last battery was 7 years old when it died. I only put it on the tender over the winter and thats 5 to 6 months. I don't think steel frame batteries get that long of life because of the heat build up.

Never buy a acid filled battery there junk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts