Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
They forgot the Ultra Classic and the Boss Hoss. Clearly.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
They forgot the Ultra Classic and the Boss Hoss. Clearly.
I took my licence test on a psychedelic '61 panhead hardtail with a 8 over glide and a bicycle tire with no brake. The cop said he never would have passed me if anybody else was there.
It was the only legal bike I could get my hands on.

·
Registered
851 Posts
There is not a perfect bike for any application, including for your first bike. I understand what lists like this are trying to do but I won't recommend anyone follow it to the letter. Some people would be more dangerous on a Rebel than on a Vegas simply because they just don't fit on it.

Rather than keeping with this type of list, look at the reasoning behind why they recommend or don't recommend a bike and apply that logic to your situation when picking out a bike.

My first bike was a Vulcan 750. For me it was the perfect starter bike. Why? because it was cheap enough that I didn't get upset when I scratched it, it fit my frame and had good road manners so I didn't get in trouble.

A friend of mine took the MSF course on a little 250. He is 6'5 and weights around 270 lbs. He sat on the passenger seat during the entire course. Not the safest way to ride a bike. There is absolutely no way I would ever recommend that he start on a 250. His first bike was a V Star 1300.

Another person I know started on a V Star Raider which is raked out with a 113 ci engine. Not what I would recommend but it worked for him.

My priorities in picking your first bike:

#1 Get one that fits you

#2 Learn throttle control

#3 The heavier the bike, the harder it is to recover WHEN you make a mistake.

#4 Buy a cheap used bike so you don't get AS upset when you scratch it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So, according to this list a Honda Rebel 250 and a Ducati Monster 696 are in the same category. Hmmm, I guess I'm just not smart enough to make that correlation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts