Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
1976 vintage, This is whats been keeping me busy since I returned from Bathurst (plus a coupla small jobs to pay the rent)
Coming up 6 weeks of cutting, welding, grinding, filling, shaping, sanding, black etch epoxy, priming, blocking out primer, repriming, getting fussy, spraying Jet Black, masking off areas and creating stripes with fineline tape.
Then a full day applying many coats of a 70's Chrysler High Impact colour.

Dodge call it Tor-Red, ..Plymouth call it Hemi Orange, same colour , but different brands and types of paint as well as application methods can result in many variations, its that sort of colour.
My research revealed Dodge used a red oxide primer under most of their cars in that era (not all but)
This colour be dependent on wether its applied over grey primer or red oxide,
I went with light oxide, as I had a full can on the shelf.
I was given a full Dulux Acrylic Lacquer tinting system when the local bus company Koala Coaches (gotta be Aussie) , switched over to 2-pac paint,
Also another body shop Im mates with folded and sold me all thier paints for $100 a few years ago.
So I had the perfect basis for an old-school acrylic paint job, with all the labour intensive work thrown in.
When you do it this way you realise why they all use 2-pac these days.
Heres some pics starting with what arrived at my door when I returned from Bathurst car races.
Ill try to get them into some progressive order.
In between stages of body prep, Ive also been freshening up some mechanical stuff too.
Still running the base low comp 215 cube Aussie Hemi 6 cylinder and 3 speed manual column change, borg-warner open 3.23 rear end.
Power boosted front disc brakes, the Dodge variant of the Valiant ute was the lower budget tradesmans ute,
rubber floormats, no radio, ran of low octane fuel...get the picture?
Im jazzing things up a bit馃榾

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #2
Pretty rough to start with hey, but for its age and the fact tradesmans utes get a hard life and generally uncared for, this one wasnt too bad, thats why I bought it, was tempted to leave it looking the rough white original with upgraded mechanicals, but hey you all know how it goes....things get outta hand ...anyway more pix of progression...

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
around this stage theres no turning back, thoughts of a repaint in basic white were fading and dent that were gonna be left were now being chased up
20191228_210103.jpg
20191231_154652.jpg
20200101_171145.jpg
20200105_175849.jpg
20200108_165727.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
engine degreased , stripped of add ons and painted Chrysler Blue paving paint, a tintable clear heavy duty heat resistent paint thats great for engine blocks...painted 'in situ' ...thats not taking it out!
more pix...
Most would do blackouts and stripes after the main colour....not me!
I do it in reverse then clear over the lot!
(Giving all my secrets away here馃槈)
20200107_172950.jpg
20200108_165557.jpg
20200109_014350.jpg
20200109_014413.jpg
20200109_090544.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
got her jacked up high to get paint under the sills ( rockers to you) and areas a lot of painters miss,
tray area Ive left in red oxide as itll be used for hauling crap to the tip, taking parts to swap meets, throwing my swag in when I go camping, and if I owned a harley I could be cool and drive around with it in the back LOL!

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
ok , main colour, Orange or Red, call it what you will, is on and I unmask the black bits and give it a day and then prepsol and tack rag it off and check my masking, there a couple of blow thrus of orange/red so I spray a little more black on them, and then mixup 3 litres acrylic clear, at 150% thinner giving me around 8 litres in the spraygun....I spray the lot, and use retarder thinner in last few coats to flatten it out make the next stage as easy as possible, cos its not!
Humidity is sky high so Im forced to shut the shed doors again, as I did for the main colour, and crank up the massive air conditioner which has a side benefit of cooling the shed down for the next 8 hours of spraying.
After which Im high as a kite from fumes and stagger outside to some much needed fresh air!
Next the unvieling and more hard work! 1200 W+D wetsanding over the whole job followed by machine compounding with my big buff and followed by another pass with finer swirl remover and then a special cutter for black then wash the car .
The exhaust extractors system (headers to you) arrived friday from ebay, overnight basically and Im waiting on a gasket, but Ive done a 13 hour Saturday removing the old manifold as well as replacing the engine mounts.
Somewhere in there Ive detailed the grille and headlight surrounds and fitted it all back with silver paint applied where needed, polish elsewhere and soap n water everywhere else, refitted tailights , badges and started lubing up door mechanisms the list is endless

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Bet you cant wait to see what it looks like now?

Attachments

Registered
Very cool build. I may have skipped over what kind of Chrysler that is but is it a Valiant? Kind of looks like one but never seen one with a truck bed but I know that is a big thing in your part of the world. I am looking to get back into another car/truck project but I am limited on space so that is why I have been sticking with old 2-stroke motorcycles.

Registered
I have been kicking around the idea of fixing up a Mercury Comet. My dad had a 1965 one in red with the 289 HP in it. He loved that car but traded it off for a pickup truck when I was young. That was back in the 70's when most house holds only had one car (at least where I am from) unless you were fairly well off and could afford two. That 79 f-100 Ranger was needed to haul firewood and coal to heat the house and with my dad's side job of laying brick/block. Our family of four did just fine fitting into that single cab full size truck until my parents could finally afford a second car in the mid-80's.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool build. I may have skipped over what kind of Chrysler that is but is it a Valiant? Kind of looks like one but never seen one with a truck bed but I know that is a big thing in your part of the world. I am looking to get back into another car/truck project but I am limited on space so that is why I have been sticking with old 2-stroke motorcycles.
Chrysler Australia produced Valiants with a heavy American influence for almost 2 decades .
Mine would be a Valiant ute if it was a bit more upmarket.
The Valiant ute was made to be a workhorse by day and double as a car at night and to church on Sundays if thats your thing.
The Dodge ute was more basic, designed as a workhorse no frills.

Premium Member
Good job on the truck, I thought it looked like a Dodge Dart truck. I wished they would have produced them in the United States.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
Good job on the truck, I thought it looked like a Dodge Dart truck. I wished they would have produced them in the United States.
Yeah, be nice with a 340 6pack under the hood, airgrabber even馃槇
383/440 or a 426 factory(hoo boy!)
MOPAR or no car!

smoothed the ports a little as well as intake manifold to get rid of a few dags whilst waiting on a gasket.
Plain to see why they breathe so well with the ports leading straight to the valve.
And heres a few more 'before' and a 'during' pic to fill out the 5.
Another big day tomorrow .
20200120_180123.jpg
20200120_180039.jpg
20191218_084752.jpg
20191121_114845.jpg
20191217_143951.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
You know when youre under a car with an angle grinder with a fine/thin cutoff wheel, cutting through an old exhaust pipe....
and the safety guard is off cos its the first thing thrown away when its unboxed, they get in the way.
All good cutting away from oneself but as you get around to the other side you should never cut past that point....
Because if the blade should catch, well it can get nasty real quick!!!
90 % of the time its possible to bend safety rules and get away with it,
Then theres the times you dont.
Still got my hand馃檪
20200121_173004.jpg

Registered
YOU DA MAN MBX !!!
Great job on a neat ute. I wish we had those here. You are right: MOPAR or no car.
119_1969.JPG

Registered
Ricz, I am sure you know that FIAT has owned Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep for a while now. I don't like it but I don't have anything against it because I own one Jeep and about to pull the trigger on a 2020 Wrangler (2-door with manual trans). A lot of people get bent out of shape when you tell them that is a nice Fiat Jeep you got there, most have no clue who the parent company is. Kind of like the Polaris Victory and Indian thing.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
My Dodge ute was built in Australia in 1976, by Chrysler Australia.

Im certain thats its no FIAT
FIAT in Oz is an anacronym for
Found In A Tip !
tip being rubbish/trash dump.

Registered
My 2007 300C was built back when Daimler ran Chrysler and it is built on a Mercedes E Class platform and even has a Mercedes transmission. Howz that -- an E Class at less than half the price and a Hemi tossed in to the bargain.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #18
My 2007 300C was built back when Daimler ran Chrysler and it is built on a Mercedes E Class platform and even has a Mercedes transmission. Howz that -- an E Class at less than half the price and a Hemi tossed in to the bargain.
Probably better resale than a Benz too, they plummet in resale.
All new stuff does.
I have nothing to do with modern stuff....oh except for my obsolete decades old Vics of course LOL!

Registered
I have nothing to do with modern stuff....oh except for my obsolete decades old Vics of course LOL!
That '07 is as modern as want to get and I'm going to drive it 'til the wheels fall off. I don't like all the fru-fru electronic "safety" and connectivity crap in new cars. No touch screen for this kid, just give me knobs I can twist without taking my eyes off the road. There is nothing out there that I like better than my 300C wit da Hemi.

Registered
That '07 is as modern as want to get and I'm going to drive it 'til the wheels fall off. I don't like all the fru-fru electronic "safety" and connectivity crap in new cars. No touch screen for this kid, just give me knobs I can twist without taking my eyes off the road. There is nothing out there that I like better than my 300C wit da Hemi.
I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee that is also based off a Mercedes with a Mercedes trans. I have to disagree though, there is something better than a 300C with a Hemi and that is a Grand Cherokee with a Hemi! My mom has had three 300's (including a 2007) but the one she got last year has the 3.6 V6 which is quite impressive. The downside to both 300's and Grand Cherokee's is that they don't hold their value at all. The only Fiat (or Daimler) product that will hold some sort of re-sale value is a Wrangler or a Ram truck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts