Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Subject should have said "simple install question" - sorry for the confusion!

I'm putting in some glorious Torque Tubes this weekend on my 2006 Hammer and am about 85% done. I also replaced the throttle body adaptor which was getting dried out and cracked, figured there was no better time for that preventative maintenance item.

Here is my question - what do I do with the Air Temp sensor and MAP sensor that were both plugged into the original air box? (circiled in red on pic)

The instructions did not reference what to do with these and I wasn't sure if I should unplug them or leave them plugged up and just wire tied somewhere?

Thanks to anyone that can assist!

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
HC, you have the T tubes right?? And you don't know where the MAP goes?? Bike won't run without it. Temp sensor should be in the intake air flow but where you have it will work. Must have had it installed right?thumb up
The cost of those things and no info on what to do with sensors. Wow
Let me know if Im full of shet cause I usually am. Can't believe this hasen't been discussed before.
Need info, how many have the torque tubes ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ive installed Torque Tubes,s on my 2010 vegas yesterday, i had no sensors on plastic airbox i cut out. It had victory stage 1 shotguns and air filter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did end up finding a comment in the instructions where it said to just tie up any sensors, so that's what I did.

Air temp I fastened to the front center frame piece so it sits right above the two filters and should pick up whatever temp air those filters are pulling in.

The MAP sensor I just tied to the space between the frame and the throttle body. I think that sensor is supposed to pick up airflow pressure going into the throttle body and adjust fuel/timing. Obviously it won't be sensing much of anything where it is now.

I've got a Victory dealership near me that has a dyno so I'll let them have it soon to get everything mapped and tuned for the best results.
I didn't get these for the looks, although they excel in that area while cleaning up the front nicely, and the whole assembly felt really well made!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just a suggestion, Take the time to make a gasket to install between the torque tubes and the throttle body instead of using RTV sealant. The RTV will or can squish out into the airflow path. Also they are a total bitch to remove if you ever want to clean your throttle body and you risk tearing the rubber throttle body adaptor trying to get it off. Just a thought.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ TorqueMonster - my project took longer just because I also replaced my throttle body adapter which was dried out and needed to be replaced. Getting that airbox cut, pulled out, and everything cleaned up from the dust was the hardest part. I started with a PVC pipe wire saw and then ended up attacking the sides carefully with a dremel which greatly sped up the process.

@ Throttleking - gasket is a great idea (just too late for me). My existing gasket seemed to still be in excellent shape and I used just a hairline amount of gasket sealant on the outside edges because of that intake concern. With the oil vent tube out of the air box, do you still think the throttle bodies will have to be cleaned often? I was thinking that vent line in the air box was why these earlier models dirtied quick and required it about every oil change.

I was hoping to have it professionally tuned this week but scheduling did not work out, hopefully it will soon!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wolf, after 5,000 miles or so I noticed the bike was beginning to have a rough idle. I had the bike apart for some powder coat and decided might as well have a look. The throttle body was dirty, not horrible mind you but just enough for rough idle. After getting it apart is when I realized how much rtv was actually in the airflow path. I called Lloydz and asked if they or had or offered gaskets for them and was told they only use the RTV. So I thought I would just make my own and it seems to be working great. Cleaning off old RTV is a pain in the ass. Maybe others will have a different experience with it .

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just a suggestion, Take the time to make a gasket to install between the torque tubes and the throttle body instead of using RTV sealant. The RTV will or can squish out into the airflow path. Also they are a total bitch to remove if you ever want to clean your throttle body and you risk tearing the rubber throttle body adaptor trying to get it off. Just a thought.
throttleking, what did you use to make your gasket with?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got a chance to have it tuned and dyno'd.

They worked with the TPS and the Ness Big Shot tuner that had already been installed 6 years ago. With ground pounders for exhaust and torque tubes they squeezed ~ 99HP at 5110 RPM and just over 110 Torque at 4280.

Torque looks close to peak (100+) from 2400-5200 where it drops below 100

Print out is black/white so hard to post a good pic.

Not the best fuel tuner in the world I know, but torque tubes seem to be doing okay. I believe these are a decent numbers given the ground pounders which are awesome on looks/sound and probably terrible with performance. My goal with the TT was to just try and balance out the probable performance loss of the exhaust I love.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Hey wolf, Congrats on your install. thumb up

I am about ready to do a Torque Tubes install on my 06 Victory Hammer. I have a few question's.

I just bought my Hammer with 22k miles on it. 13K on the 108mm stoker kit done by lloyd greer.

My bike currently has the PMRT filter that is pretty much falling to pieces. It has the PCIII, and Bassani 2 into 1 exhaust. The last Dyno was done in 2008. 118hp, 120torque.

Do you think I will see much increases going from the PMRT to the Torque Tubes? Or should I just go with the S&S intake. Any opinions would be really helpful. I was just about ready to click the buy button on lloyd's website for the torque tubes when I saw your post and install.

I can't really afford to do a dyno or remapping session right away. But I need to get a new intake on my bike so that I can ride. So I'm hoping to do a direct sway from PMRT to either S&S or the torque tubes and just ride without mapping, or dyno'ing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I changed from s&s filter which is similar to pmrt intake. I havent tune since I went to the torque tubes. I say if ir is like mine it will be close enough to ride but u will be leaving some power on the table. I will post back in when I re dyno mine and let u know how much I pick up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should be okay without remapping since you are already running a high flow filter. The difference with the TT is they smooth out and help the air enter the intake with more velocity, which is what helps the gains in torque. A tune would maximize everything, but you should be okay w/o one. TT will produce more torque than S&S, but I couldn't tell you how much.

Given yours is also 6-7 years old, you may want to check and replace the throttle body adaptor while everything is apart. Mine had not split yet but was looking very dry and cracked. It is good insurance to replace it while you have everything apart if you still have the original one on. Make sure you get the 2 orings for it if you choose to replace.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts