Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I am a first time motorcycle owner and rider. I just got my licence in Dec 2010. I have been wanting to ride for a while and am a happy owner of a 2009 Hammer. I bought it off a guy on consignment and got a great deal on it.

A little about me. Im 35 and live just north of Dallas, TX. I'm a Fire Fighter/Paramedic for the City of Dallas and I am a Chief in the US Navy Reserves. I am very blessed with boh of these jobs because they pay well and I have so much fun with them both. I am a Loadmaster in the Navy for C-40's (Boeing 737) and get to travel all over the world doing something I love.
My wife Tandra and I travel together and have trips planned for KC and Key West soon.
The Hammer has a stage 1 kit, bags and windshield, plus several more add ons I'm not ashamed to say Im not real sure about. It had less that 1200 mi on it when I got it but I have rode almost every day since I got it last SAT.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Welcome Victory Forums.

A couple of pointers. Please take the time to read the “Sticky” threads in the “Victory Forums Rules and New Members Introductions” forum. This will help you out a LOT with the Victory Forums.

The Search feature is your friend! You will find the answers to a lot of your questions by using it.

If you are asking questions that are of a technical/mechanical/electrical/performance nature, please place them in the “Victory Tech and Performance” forum. This will speed up a response. Placing them in the model specific forum can delay a response.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Welcome to the Brotherhood....I am also a Firefighter/Medic from New York....For someone New in the saddle that's a lot of bike...Please be careful and get some seat time in a large empty parking lot before you take to the roads...get to know your bike as best you can....it will be good for you but you have to do the thinking for her......Good luck..and again welcome. Paul

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Welcome aboard! Ride safely and post some pics of your Hammer!

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Welcome to the VF!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the Brotherhood....I am also a Firefighter/Medic from New York....For someone New in the saddle that's a lot of bike...Please be careful and get some seat time in a large empty parking lot before you take to the roads...get to know your bike as best you can....it will be good for you but you have to do the thinking for her......Good luck..and again welcome. Paul
You aren't kidding Paul! I did a lot of research and of course came to the conclusion that Victory just made the best bikes. I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to "settle" for something. A brother Chief took me to a local Victory shop after I described to him the bike I wanted. When we walked in he pointed at the Hammer and said, "Isn't that the bike you want?"

I have the utmost respect for the bike and the road. Having seen accidents close up as a paramedic I am well aware of the dangers. Ill keep my head on straight! The big back tire makes the Hammer want to stay upright. I have spent several hours in the Target parking lot working on my turns. That is great advice! It's fun and I am having a great time with my new bike. I wish I would have done it a long time ago!

·
Registered
567 Posts
You aren't kidding Paul! I did a lot of research and of course came to the conclusion that Victory just made the best bikes. I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to "settle" for something. A brother Chief took me to a local Victory shop after I described to him the bike I wanted. When we walked in he pointed at the Hammer and said, "Isn't that the bike you want?"

I have the utmost respect for the bike and the road. Having seen accidents close up as a paramedic I am well aware of the dangers. Ill keep my head on straight! The big back tire makes the Hammer want to stay upright. I have spent several hours in the Target parking lot working on my turns. That is great advice! It's fun and I am having a great time with my new bike. I wish I would have done it a long time ago!
remember the bike goes where you point your nose.....:crzy:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
remember the bike goes where you point your nose.....:crzy:
:I agree:

So, make sure you never admire the asphalt. :ltr:

·
Registered
227 Posts
2008 hammer

I own a 2008 Hammer, so if you have any questions feel feel to give me a buzz. My daughter lives in North Dallas and I live in Saint louis.Im in Dallas ever so often. I bought my Hammer new in 2009 and have put 7500 miles on it. Havnt had a bit of trouble and dont expect to. You will love the heck out of your Vic.:)

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
A warm welcome from the Pacific Northwest....
If you have not taken a riding course, I strongly urge you to do so. Self taught ain't taught! Also, get the DVD, "Ride Like A Pro" and practice what he shows you. Small prices to pay for staying alive. Riding is a risk activity, but there are many ways to minimize those risks. You just gotta know what they are. You've seen the results of those who didn't. Lecture over, classs dismissed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Paul, it's not being paranoid to think the cagers are out to get you. THEY ARE! Just keep your head screwed on straight, stay aware of your surroundings, and enjoy every minute of the ride.thumb up

·
Registered
156 Posts
Glad you decided on Victory, the forum has a lot of riders that have been around the block a few times. Go easy and keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down Good luck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
welcome and thanks for your service.
hammers are bad ass,it was the first victory that
caught my eye.thumb up

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have not taken a riding course, I strongly urge you to do so. Self taught ain't taught! Also, get the DVD, "Ride Like A Pro" and practice what he shows you. Small prices to pay for staying alive. Riding is a risk activity, but there are many ways to minimize those risks. You just gotta know what they are. You've seen the results of those who didn't. Lecture over, classs dismissed.
I appreciate the lesson. I took a three day basic rider course prior to getting my licence. I am extra careful to make up for those that have their heards firmly up their collective @$$&$!

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
I appreciate the lesson. I took a three day basic rider course prior to getting my licence. I am extra careful to make up for those that have their heards firmly up their collective @$$&$!
Keeping your eyeballs constantly scanning from side to side and checking mirrors every few seconds will help you avoid those who aren't doing that. Speaking of mirrors, here's a trick that has saved my bacon many times over. Adjust your mirrors (on both cars and bikes) so that you can see down the adjacent lane. That way, when you need to make an evasive maneuver, you will know instantly, without taking the time to lean head and body, if the coast is clear to move there. On my 4 wheelers, I can not see the side of the vehicle in my side views when I'm sitting up straight. And an advantage to setting your bike mirrors like that is you won't be getting a face full of headlights off of them at night. Try it, you'll like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts