Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help! Discovered a 2" scratch on one of my bag lids and losing some serious sleep over it. Does anyone know of any touch-up that will blend in? I have a 2013 CC Sunset red.

Thanks

·
Banned
471 Posts
Need help! Discovered a 2" scratch on one of my bag lids and losing some serious sleep over it. Does anyone know of any touch-up that will blend in? I have a 2013 CC Sunset red.

Thanks
I have the same bike/color....

I have tried touch up paint from...

Victory P-520 Sunset Red

Results were not great.

I have two solutions for you....

Forget about the scratch...its now "broken in"

Or

Buy my mint condition sunset red bag lids, problem solved....

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought some touch up from the dealer for some minor rock chips, matched well enough that unless you get close and sit and seriously search, you cannot tell there were ever any chips. A large scratch may not be hidden as well, but if it don't, it's not like you couldn't then have a body shop fix it. Unless it's a show bike (ie trailer queen) a few scrapes and scratches are to be expected if you actually ride it, I agree, it's now broke in, and unless your trying to sell it, don't worry about it, bags are plastic, they wont rust.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I got an official small container from the dealer (for something like $10 -- I forget) a few years ago; click on pic below. It's okay for a tiny nick, if you don't gob it on too much. I have a couple of front-fender nicks that I tried it on, but then gobbed it up too much, and wound up wiping it off... and just living with the nicks. OTOH, I have a couple of chipped off spots on the saddlebag lid edges, and the touch-up brush worked okay there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I had a rig veer off the side of the highway in front of me a couple of years ago and through small rocks all over me. Put about 6 small chips in a 4 inch area on my left saddlebag. I bought the sunset red vic touch up paint and it did not work out very well, looks worse than before! This paint is 2 or 3 stage and is not easily fixed with touch up paint.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I was behind a dump truck and couldn't get out from some rock debris he was leaving . It put a few small chips in my front fairing in the black part of the flames ... I lost a day or two sleep but have much bigger things to worry about all in all . Heck I wouldn't even ride my bike in the beginning unless I washed it and wiped it down , now I just ride it for the most part . At least a rock didn't go through my LED headlight , that would really have hurt !:eek

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I'm gonna live with it. Its definitely not a show bike "trailer queen" so I'm gonna keep rolling like it is.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Blade,

How deep is the scratch. If you run your fingernail across it will it catch on the scratch? I scratched mine once while getting off of the bike, pretty nasty 9" scratch. I took it to an auto body shop. They took their time and buffed it our with a professional grade buffer. Almost looked like it melted the paint in place. I know where the gash was so I can see remnants of it (slight dip along the previous scratch line) but to the untrained eye..you would never know. I would recommend taking it to the body shop and forgo the touch up paint. Never seen real good results with the touch up paint.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info! Thanks, I'll look into that.

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
FWIW the 3M paint protection film cut and applied in key places will keep the paint in good shape.

I just found a rock chip on the front of my XC fender. I have some touch up paint on order and as soon as it's applied and dried I'm going to apply the 3M to it. I should have done it when I did the top and front of the bags, the back of the tank, and the lowest few inches of the fairing.

Just in case someone doesn't know about the ready cut kit; here's the link for those who would rather do it that way. Comes in gloss and matte finish. Not cheap but then neither is a paint job.

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
this is the same just spray it on. Napa and advance auto sells it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3hJYmtKR4
It's kinda the same. The biggest difference is how long it lasts. The film lasts much longer than the spray on. For those who's bikes spend most the time in the garage; it might be a good option.

I think the spray on stuff is better for cars. Especially cars that have the luxury of spending its non use hours in a garage or carport.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had fairly good luck with some three step stuff i got from Amazon. It's called TouchUpDirect. I used it on a small chip in the paint on the tank where someone might have dropped a tool while removing the fairing. I'll try to post a link, but if it doesn't work, you can find it by searching Amazon for victory motorcycle touchup paint sunset red.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TouchUpDirect-Victory-Exact-Match-Motorcycle-Touch-Up/dp/B00OYNR5BG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451175765&sr=8-1&keywords=victory+motorcycle+sunset+red+touch+up+paint[/ame]

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I've had fairly good luck with some three step stuff i got from Amazon. It's called TouchUpDirect. I used it on a small chip in the paint on the tank where someone might have dropped a tool while removing the fairing. I'll try to post a link, but if it doesn't work, you can find it by searching Amazon for victory motorcycle touchup paint sunset red.

Amazon.com: TouchUpDirect 2012 Victory Cross Country Exact-Match Motorcycle Touch-Up Paint - VIC012 Gloss Sunset Red Tricoat - 0.5 oz. Pen - Essential Package: Automotive
Very helpful. Thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts

Amazon.com: TouchUpDirect 2012 Victory Cross Country Exact-Match Motorcycle Touch-Up Paint - VIC012 Gloss Sunset Red Tricoat - 0.5 oz. Pen - Essential Package: Automotive
This is exactly what I bought. It's now sitting on the counter waiting for a warmer day to try it out or for me to heat up the garage. We are having, as predicted, an unusually cold winter this year.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I would go with the stuff you guys are talking about and avoid the Polaris touch up paint. The sunset red has a black base coat and when chipped it really stands out. All the Polaris touch up paint did was just brighten the dark spot and catch light at different angles than the rest of the paint so for me it actually made it worse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts