• What's a trunk?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many run with the trunk on all the time.
Personally I love the storage and it was the reason I bought the bike so it's always on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bought my 13 new and the trunk has never been off.

I bought the 08 with the purpose to remove the trunk so I took it off right after I got it and it hasn't been and has no plans to go back on. I would like to find a passenger backrest for it but they are up there in price now days.

·
Registered
307 Posts
On

Yep, I bought my '13 new and the trunk has never been off. Bought a Highball to cruise on.:grin

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I keep the trunks on all of our XCT bikes in wall mounting racks more than 90% of the time and ride mostly without the trunk. The only time the trunks go on is if we are taking an overnight (or longer) trip on the bike and want the storage. The trunk is especially nice for storing our full face helmets that we take on trips if we have to ride in the rain. For non-rain rides, we just use our half helmets.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Just curious how many run with the trunk on all the time.
Personally I love the storage and it was the reason I bought the bike so it's always on.
Yes always on, never even removed it, or looked how to remove it, hahahah

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Almost Always On

I chose ‘Yes’, for always on.

In truth, I ride without it once or twice per year, just for something different. It is not as easy to remove as I think it should be, especially because I have the passenger grab handles, which somewhat trap the trunk’s wiring behind them. If it were easier, then I would probably go without more often.

The trunk provides a lot of convenient storage. My bike is not used for long-distance riding much, but mostly for all-around transportation. The left bag is always packed with clothing (several pairs of gloves, jacket liner, rain gear, scarf in cooler months) and the right bag holds some tools, Bibles to give away and devotional books to give out. So the trunk is the place for groceries, iPad, storing the helmet while parked, etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I mostly leave it on. I have taken it off a few times and I dig it, but with lights and farkles, etc it's more of a pain to remove it. Then is the problem of storing it. I do have a rack for it, but I just don't have wall space right now to mount it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I am surprised at the reports of difficulty removing the trunk. I can take it off or put it on in about 2 minutes and I have the passenger grab handles (make it a tighter fit for the wiring bundle) and the Sabertooth lights on the saddlebags (make it very slightly harder to get the trunk wiring past the sabertooth wiring and also means the saddle bags are slightly harder to remove so I don't remove them, I just tilt the left one out a bit). I can get the trunk off the bike and into the wall mount by myself and I am no Hercules (5'-9.5" and 170 lbs). I can get the trunk onto the bike by myself but this is a bit of a struggle as it is awkward to lift it in front of you and get the prongs onto their pins. I prefer to have someone help me install the trunk by holding one side as I hold the other and then we both slide it forward to insert.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I suppose the biggest pain point for me is the storage, tho it's so much easier to remove the trunk with the left saddlebag removed due to the wiring harness.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Leave it on full time. I took it off once just because you can. I find it heavy and unwieldy to manhandle. I, too, have the wall mount bracket to support it, but don't have the wall space to use it. Lots of easy storage at ones fingertips with it in-place. If I was a solo rider I'd consider taking it off on occasion just for the cool factor. I've contemplated procuring the tail rack / backrest combo piece for day rides. Since Victory is done with us . . . I'm equally done with them. Tires and other operational bits are the only thing I'm spending my dollars on.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Never been off, always using it and it provides yet more light from the rear. It makes the bike look larger from the rear and I have Hyper-lites working in conjunction with brake lights in this idiotic Texting driver environment. I'm using all the means I know to manage my riding risk.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so I'm not weird then.
Love the storage space and being able to store my helmet out of sight and not have someone fooling with it.
I agree the passenger grab handles do interfere with the harness.

I've only had the trunk off twice once for fender removal and again for rear tire just to have less weight to jack.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
My wife won't even consider a ride without the CCT trunk in place. She barely sat on the passenger seat when I did take the trunk off and install the Victory passenger backrest. She emphatically said NO WAY to that idea and I don't blame her a bit. IMHO, the Victory passenger backrest is leaned way too far back to be comfortable. My wife is only 5'5" and about 130 pounds.

I too have the trunk wall mount I bought from Leaders when they were blowing them out cheap. Though I still haven't installed the mount on any garage wall. Right now the passenger backrest/luggage rack is taking up valuable space on my work bench.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMHO, the Victory passenger backrest is leaned way too far back to be comfortable. My wife is only 5'5" and about 130 pounds.
Prior owner to my bike added plastic spacers to the trunk backrest to move it forward about 3/4 inch.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I always take my trunk off when |I ride by myself, easily done. I find the bike looks much better without trunk and getting rid of the top weight is great. For those that have not tried riding without trunk you should know what your missing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I said I leave my trunk on all the time, BUT I didn't buy it that way. It's not technically an XCT.. but an XC w/ a Kingpin style trunk on it. I love tha trunk, even tho it's smaller than the stock XCT one it hold enough and weighs almost nothing. Best of both worlds IMO.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hangs on the wall 95% of the time; it only goes on for trips. Love the storage, hate the handling when it's on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Generally I leave mine on from around April to September, because the wife wont ride when the temps start dropping below 55 degrees. When she stops riding I take it off and store it on my storage rack.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
She is my primary transportation. I run errands, do grocery shopping, pick up packages and occasionally chickens. I leave the trunk on and the passenger floorboards down. This way I am comfortable with the most difficult configuration when my wife comes along.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She is my primary transportation. I run errands, do grocery shopping, pick up packages and occasionally chickens. I leave the trunk on and the passenger floorboards down. This way I am comfortable with the most difficult configuration when my wife comes along.
All that makes sense but the chicken part. Live chickens?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts