Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I'm getting old. The ride to and from Sturgis this year kicked my butt. Sleeping in a tent on the ground with people yelling and doing burn outs until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning sucked too. So I'm about to leave the house and look at a couple of small toy haulers. I ain't camping anymore. I want a shower, toilet and bed where ever I go. I've paid my dues. I've never hauled my scooter anywhere for almost 50 years of legal riding.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Yes... I understand...

We live in a 41 foot 5th wheel and we have a 21' travel trailer to go camping in (it's not 'camping' when you take the 5th wheel).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Well guys I'm getting old. The ride to and from Sturgis this year kicked my butt. Sleeping in a tent on the ground with people yelling and doing burn outs until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning sucked too. So I'm about to leave the house and look at a couple of small toy haulers. I ain't camping anymore. I want a shower, toilet and bed where ever I go. I've paid my dues. I've never hauled my scooter anywhere for almost 50 years of legal riding.
If we live and ride long enough we all get there. A lot of folks just give up riding about that time or decide if they can't motel/hotel it; they just won't go. If a toy hauler is an option for you then you can do a lot more than just go to bike runs with it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There's no shame in it. I have a 21' Coachmen Blast TH. I have had my CCT in it once when I took it to Helen, GA. It is a pretty basic TH. The living room is the garage which is the bedroom, etc. Has the electric drop down bed, shower, bathroom, kitchen, couches, etc. Perfect for the wife and I and doesn't weigh a ton either...4500lbs dry I believe. it has a 14' garage in it.

They can be worth the investment. We actually camp more in it than haul toys. Have taken the ATV's in it before as well. Too bad you are not closer, i'm fixing to sell mine this spring. Going on deployment and planning to upgrade to a bigger one when I return.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
That's so cool! Where do you stow that huge concrete pad? :D :D

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
What you will tow with is going to dictate what you can tow. Some things to keep in mind... just because a vehicle says it will tow ____ lbs, that doesn't mean it will be happy doing it.

I used to tow with a Ford truck, 5.4L gas engine and 4.10 gears. On steep hills I was running the dog **** out of it, foot to the floor and down to 2nd gear sometimes. 6 mpg towing.

Now I have the Ram Cummins 6.7 diesel and 3.42 gears. We just got back from Tenn and I set the cruise at 67 mph. It never came out of 6th gear once... the boost comes up and it holds the speed. I saw 20 psi on the boost gauge a couple of times, but it didn't shift down. 14 mpg towing.

There is a fairly large selection of toy haulers out there. Good luck with your search.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I want a shower, toilet and bed where ever I go. I've paid my dues. I've never hauled my scooter anywhere for almost 50 years of legal riding.
We get so soon old and so late smart! The way I look at it is, I have had enough discomforts in my lifetime that I no longer volunteer for that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'll still do 500 - 700 miles a day on a big ride but at the end of the day it's a meal I didn't cook over a fire or camp stove, a long shower and a comfortable bed.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
I'll still do 500 - 700 miles a day on a big ride but at the end of the day it's a meal I didn't cook over a fire or camp stove, a long shower and a comfortable bed.
Exactly. After a long day in the saddle I want air conditioning, a shower, a good meal, and a bed.

Traveling to a distant destination that will take days on end, I would have to do the hotel thing, because of the 1st paragraph. I am not sleeping on the ground and being in the weather.... I've been in the weather all freakin' day already.

However... a toy hauler/RV provides all that. No camp stove or camp fire to cook over. I have a gas grill (built in gas cock for it), a range top, and oven, a microwave, refrigerator, and pantry. Our camp fire is a portable gas fire pit. Instant fire, no smoke and smell, no firewood to carry or find, and when you're ready to sleep it's out. You can move your 'base of operations' to locations central to the good riding. Once you have explored that area, you move to another.

Takes 1/2 an hour to set up camp, all the comforts of home, and the bike isn't packed to the hilt because my clothes and stuff are in the RV. Plus I have my truck. Pretty cool...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I think something like that will be on our to-do list when we pay the house off. Only have another 6 years or so left on the mortgage!

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
I think something like that will be on our to-do list when we pay the house off. Only have another 6 years or so left on the mortgage!
Our house is rented out, so that pays the mortgage.
Both RVs and the truck are the same cost monthly as the mortgage was.

We are trying to live like we're retired, while still working...We want some enjoyment before we're too old to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's no shame in it. I have a 21' Coachmen Blast TH. I have had my CCT in it once when I took it to Helen, GA. It is a pretty basic TH. The living room is the garage which is the bedroom, etc. Has the electric drop down bed, shower, bathroom, kitchen, couches, etc. Perfect for the wife and I and doesn't weigh a ton either...4500lbs dry I believe. it has a 14' garage in it.

They can be worth the investment. We actually camp more in it than haul toys. Have taken the ATV's in it before as well. Too bad you are not closer, i'm fixing to sell mine this spring. Going on deployment and planning to upgrade to a bigger one when I return.
Wish you where closer.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
...We want some enjoyment before we're too old to do it.
So you are trying to convince the peeps here that there's no enjoyment in life once you are defined as old. Thanks H-C, I'm really enjoying my life, even though I'm over 80, so I guess I'm not "old" yet. Woo Hoo!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What you will tow with is going to dictate what you can tow. Some things to keep in mind... just because a vehicle says it will tow ____ lbs, that doesn't mean it will be happy doing it.

I used to tow with a Ford truck, 5.4L gas engine and 4.10 gears. On steep hills I was running the dog **** out of it, foot to the floor and down to 2nd gear sometimes. 6 mpg towing.

Now I have the Ram Cummins 6.7 diesel and 2.43 gears. We just got back from Tenn and I set the cruise at 67 mph. It never came out of 6th gear once... the boost comes up and it holds the speed. I saw 20 psi on the boost gauge a couple of times, but it didn't shift down. 14 mpg towing.

There is a fairly large selection of toy haulers out there. Good luck with your search.
I'm towing with a 2500 chevy, 350 motor, 373 rear end. I towed a 27 foot Prowler all over the place with it. A lot of it in New Mexico mountains. never a issue. Put a new motor in it 4 years ago, 3 or 4. I'm looking at a 26 ft toy hauler. Brand new marked down from 29,000 to 18,700. Electric stabilizers, tongue jack and awning. Out door speakers, oven, large frig. Large enough to sleep with the scooter inside. Can't think of the brand right now. Went to 3 RV dealers yesterday and this is the best deal. Looked at some smaller ones, but the XC is so damned long I couldn't get it in there. We want to start fishing again. So fish in the mornings and evenings and ride in the day. That will keep me and the wife happy.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you are trying to convince the peeps here that there's no enjoyment in life once you are defined as old. Thanks H-C, I'm really enjoying my life, even though I'm over 80, so I guess I'm not "old" yet. Woo Hoo!
You must have a 35 year old wife or something.:wink

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
After 6 back surgeries (may have to undergo #7) regular camping is outa' the question as well

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
You must have a 35 year old wife or something.:wink
My wife thinks she's 35 and so do I. Having a motorcycle and riding it is part of staying young. I have a sign on a wall that reads: "God does not deduct from one's time hours spent on a motorcycle." So get out there and ride!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Exactly. After a long day in the saddle I want air conditioning, a shower, a good meal, and a bed.

Traveling to a distant destination that will take days on end, I would have to do the hotel thing, because of the 1st paragraph. I am not sleeping on the ground and being in the weather.... I've been in the weather all freakin' day already.

However... a toy hauler/RV provides all that. No camp stove or camp fire to cook over. I have a gas grill (built in gas cock for it), a range top, and oven, a microwave, refrigerator, and pantry. Our camp fire is a portable gas fire pit. Instant fire, no smoke and smell, no firewood to carry or find, and when you're ready to sleep it's out. You can move your 'base of operations' to locations central to the good riding. Once you have explored that area, you move to another.

Takes 1/2 an hour to set up camp, all the comforts of home, and the bike isn't packed to the hilt because my clothes and stuff are in the RV. Plus I have my truck. Pretty cool...

Nice set-up. It's the ultimate way to 'camp' but as long as I can throw a leg over and make not just the riding when I get there but the ride there and back, a toy-hauler is not on my radar. Maybe I am an old fart but I refuse to give in to a number.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts