Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have toy haulers, what size, what do you pull them with, weight of empty trailer? cargo capacity weight wise?
I'm looking right now, kinda leaning toward a Forrest River Grey Wolf, either a 19rr or a 21rr, they are light weight but still have good cargo capacity, around 4200 dry weight with around 3500 cargo capacity. I will be pulling with a 2012 Nissan Armada, 2wd, 9100lb tow rating, 18mpg hwy, about 10-12 when I have pulled a 20' Work N Play, loaded pretty good, prob at or above the 9100lb mark, but had no problems pulling it, plenty of power and no control issues.
I'm looking at the lightest weight hauler I can find but I have to be able to afford it, I know the new VAV's are really light and well built, but they are pricey, not saying they're not worth it, being all aluminum and all.
I'm looking so I can haul bike out west or up to Black Hills area, have an economical place to stay for a "base camp" and could get there quicker as one could sleep while the other drives and then rotate.
Just kinda looking to see what everyone else is doing or has researched.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I have a 2013 Voltage 3600 by Dutchmen. It's just shy of 40ft and I pull it with a Duramax 1ton. As far as weights go it holds 5000lbs of cargo and has a dry weight of 14500 lbs.

·
13,177 Posts
Bama
you should go to dealer and see if your truck has the cooling system and trans for towing. Don't take it for granted you do. Never tow in overdrive!!!!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
edmunds.com shows the towing capacity at 8200 pounds.

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/armada/2012/features-specs.html

We have a GMC Envoy, roughly the same size vehicle and me personally I will only tow a trailer with it in an emergency situation, not saying you should not or can't but only I would not recommend it. The thing that comes to mind more than being able to pull the added weight of a trailer is the ability to stop it (in a hurry especially).

Now IF I were going to buy a toy hauler and tow with said vehicle it would be the lightest one out there, more than likely not enclosed, and IF I wee going to haul said trailer much I would get something with magnetic brakes and install a brake controller in the tow vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
The Nissan Armada is built on the same chassis as a Titan I believe... Should have all the same features as the Nissan half ton. Dope Man your Envoy is substantially lighter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bama
you should go to dealer and see if your truck has the cooling system and trans for towing. Don't take it for granted you do. Never tow in overdrive!!!!!!
VJ, got that covered, this is one of the best towing machines short of going diesel. Its got it all, gauges for transmission cooling and all. According to owners manual, you can tow up to about 7000lb without taking it out of overdrive but I don't push it that far. If its a decent load, say 3000lbs or more I take it out of overdrive. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
edmunds.com shows the towing capacity at 8200 pounds.

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/armada/2012/features-specs.html

We have a GMC Envoy, roughly the same size vehicle and me personally I will only tow a trailer with it in an emergency situation, not saying you should not or can't but only I would not recommend it. The thing that comes to mind more than being able to pull the added weight of a trailer is the ability to stop it (in a hurry especially).

Now IF I were going to buy a toy hauler and tow with said vehicle it would be the lightest one out there, more than likely not enclosed, and IF I wee going to haul said trailer much I would get something with magnetic brakes and install a brake controller in the tow vehicle.
True, but the owners manual says 9100 with a weight distribution system which I have, and I also have the brake controller installed.
As far as the Envoy being roughly the same size, not hardly. I believe the Envoy is a 4.2 liter Inline 6 cylinder, putting out 285HP, which is pretty good for a small 6 cylinder,and 276 lb torque.
The Envoy is more comparable to a Pathfinder, the Armada's little brother. The Armada has a 5.6 liter V8 putting out 317 HP, not a whole lot more than the Envoy, but the difference comes in the torque dept, 385 LB torque, and this vehicle is a beast.
Now in a perfect world I would have something in the neighborhood of a Dodge dually with the 5.9 liter 6 cylinder diesel, about 325 hp at only 2900 rpm and an incredible 610 lb torque at only 1600 rpm (2006Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4WD. MSN Autos for reference).I don't know a lot about diesels, but I know they are towing machines but also expensive to upkeep, I've had freinds that have had them, they will haul the mail definitely.( I know, the deisel experts are gonna rip me a new one on my choices, Oh well)And then I would have a fifth wheel toy hauler, but, money is tight, I already own the Armada, so I want a light weight Toy Hauler to lessen wear and tear and be easy:)ltr:) on the wallet at gas stations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Nissan Armada is built on the same chassis as a Titan I believe... Should have all the same features as the Nissan half ton. Dope Man your Envoy is substantially lighter.
Correct!cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an Excel Wild Cargo Toyhauler that is 43' long and weighs 16,800 empty. It is the only worthwhile full-time Toyhauler on the market. Has a 10.5' garage and the rest of the 5th wheel is a normal 5th wheel living area. You can see and read about the Excel Wild Cargo at the following link:

www.excelrvs.com

I pull it with a 2013 Chevy Sivlerado 3500HD dually. The truck and trailer (loaded) weighs together 29,300. I get around 9.2 mph when pulling. The Chevy is a great vehicle for this combination.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Rburke, I really wanted to by the Excel product as it is a very well made unit! I unfortunately live in Calgary AB and it just wasn't feasible for me based on exchange rate, travel time, etc... I settled for a Voltage 3600 being pulled by 12 Duramax 3500. Here is my new unit ImageUploadedByMO Free1395595790.167388.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Be careful with ultra light weight toyhaulers. They should only be used for lightweight dirt bikes and quads. They are lighter because they have a weaker structure. I wouldn't strap my heavy cruiser in the back of one and travel any long distance. I've had some of my customers tell me that when they got where they were going, the bike was on its side because the d rings ripped out of the floor.

6000 to 7000 pound dry weight would be a good size for your truck. Forest River Work and Play models are built very sturdy. the have lighter models ( UL series) which are lighter, only because of the sidewall construction. The floors are still very heavy duty.

You mentioned having someone sleep while you drive and then switch. Sleeping in the trailer while moving isn't going to be very desirable or legal in most states. When a trailer is being towed down the road, it is equivalent to being in an earthquake equal to a 5 on the Richter scale.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be careful with ultra light weight toyhaulers. They should only be used for lightweight dirt bikes and quads. They are lighter because they have a weaker structure. I wouldn't strap my heavy cruiser in the back of one and travel any long distance. I've had some of my customers tell me that when they got where they were going, the bike was on its side because the d rings ripped out of the floor.

6000 to 7000 pound dry weight would be a good size for your truck. Forest River Work and Play models are built very sturdy. the have lighter models ( UL series) which are lighter, only because of the sidewall construction. The floors are still very heavy duty.

You mentioned having someone sleep while you drive and then switch. Sleeping in the trailer while moving isn't going to be very desirable or legal in most states. When a trailer is being towed down the road, it is equivalent to being in an earthquake equal to a 5 on the Richter scale.
I was talking about sleeping in the passenger seat, or back seat, not the trailer, it is illegal with a bumper pull but I have heard with a fifth wheel or gooseneck it is legal, I don't know for sure but wouldn't do that anyway.
As for the light weight, I would definetly be checking the D-ring installation and the undercarriage for support. I have no problem modifying if necessary.
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an Excel Wild Cargo Toyhauler that is 43' long and weighs 16,800 empty. It is the only worthwhile full-time Toyhauler on the market. Has a 10.5' garage and the rest of the 5th wheel is a normal 5th wheel living area. You can see and read about the Excel Wild Cargo at the following link:

www.excelrvs.com

I pull it with a 2013 Chevy Sivlerado 3500HD dually. The truck and trailer (loaded) weighs together 29,300. I get around 9.2 mph when pulling. The Chevy is a great vehicle for this combination.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sorry, I just got to do this, it's to easy, at 9.2 MPH, it will take you forever to get anywhere:ltr:(I know, he meant MPG, but I couldn't resist, I am an electrician, and to be an electrician you have requirements: 1)You have to be a smartazz, 2) you have to have been divorced at least once. I got both of those covered.) That is a very nice trailer and I am a Chevy man myself, just the Nissan has grown on me. That would be something I would want when I get closer to retirement, kind of a home away from home, with plenty of room.

·
Registered
66 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts