Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Tracker Grips https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracker-Grips-by-Victory-2878373-/272736602161 part number 2878373, which have lost most of its pointy rubber grip surface. It is generally smooth now. They were purchased from Pure Polaris when I originally bought the bike in 2014. I could buy another set of Tracker Grips or I was thinking to use a grip sleeve? Does anyone have experience using a sleeve with these type of grips. My concern would be that the grip sleeve isn't too thick causing my hand to feel very different on the handle bars. Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
742 Posts
JJKJR - I have those grips and twice now I thought the nubs had worn off but it turned out they had just gotten filled in with gunk and grime off my riding gloves and hands. I was able to take some alcohol and a stiff brush and go after it getting the texture back to an almost-new appearance. I would have sworn they were shot but surprised myself so please, before you spend a bunch of money, give it a try. If I'm wrong you lost nothing but a few minutes. Good luck, and I'll follow this thread to see what happens because whatever you end up doing will probably befall me too down the line.
Till The Wheels Fall Off!
:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Id-man, what an incredible suggestion! Never ever would have thought that. I'll most certainly give a shot over the next few days and see what happens. This forum community is the best!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well id-man, you were absolutely correct. The spacing between the rubber nubs had indeed filled with dirt, grime and leather glove stuff, rather than the nubs wearing off. I was able to get most of the heavy duty stuff off and restore maybe a 1/3 of the nubs. I think my failure for a complete restore is due to the brush I'm using not being firm enough. Do ya have any recommendations for brushes? I guess I'll head over to either Lowe's or Home Depot to check some out. BTW, my throttle side grip was most effected and following your line of thought, it makes perfect sense to me. Thanks again, JJKJR.

·
Registered
742 Posts
YEAH - it makes me happy when I say something smart. I always keep my old toothbrushes for such occasions but they may not be stiff enough either. A warm, soapy cloth wrapped around the grip for 15 minuted prior to scrubbing would probably go far toward loosening things up. I hope you're enjoying the sunshine down there in Sarasota. I had family down there for a while (Mom and Sister) and enjoyed renting bikes a few times from Rossiter's and cruising the barrier islands and Myakka River state park. Wish I was there now and not in Massachusetts.

·
12,984 Posts
go to dollar store and get a could firm toothbrushes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts