Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering trading in my 11 XC for a 13 or possibly wait for a 14 model. Mostly to get that sunset orange dennim and flat black trim style. Damm thats just sharp!
Has anyone traded like i'm thinking of doing ? If so did you see any difference in the 2 bikes? Tranny , engine smoothness, Braking I know is better. Is that compensator noise crap gone in the new models?

Just wondering if the Vics are new and improved like the dealer says.:D

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I'm considering trading in my 11 XC for a 13 or possibly wait for a 14 model. Mostly to get that sunset orange dennim and flat black trim style. Damm thats just sharp!
Has anyone traded like i'm thinking of doing ? If so did you see any difference in the 2 bikes? Tranny , engine smoothness, Braking I know is better. Is that compensator noise crap gone in the new models?

Three letters... ABS!

I'd do it if you can afford it-it could save your life! The flat orange is a badass color. I would have bought one if the leftover 2012 black one wasn't 4K cheaper at the time i bought mine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
381 Posts
I went from an 11 XC to a 12 XCT. Like someone else said "ABS" is worth the trade up alone. I don't know about the 13s but I didn't notice a lot of changes in motor noises from the 11 to the 12.

A new bike is a great thing!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
If ABS is what you really want and you can afford the huge loss on your '11 then go for it. If you are just looking for a different color then you could take the difference from trading and instead have your bike painted/powdercoated to what ever color you want and at the same time be different than other XC's out there.
I had a near accident the other day and posted how I wish I would have paid a little extra and gotten a 12 XR's but I didn't and I am not trading anytime soon. ABS may save your life (or may not) but taking your cage instead of the bike can also possibly save your life (or maybe not).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Boy this here is tip of the iceberg stuff.
Trying to compare value between most motorcycles and then use it as a guide to choosing a ride is best suited to accountants who ride a motorcycle to "save" money. I doubt that most cross bike riders fall neatly into that demographic.
In matters of the heart value is some part of the bigger picture. You can sit at the desk crunching numbers and comparing model year options but when you are in the saddle, you are either
A. Happy as all get out out to be riding and that includes feeling damn good about the machine under you.
B. Happy still but some of the ride is spent thinking of things you have to get done to make the bike under you better than it is.
C. Happy enough but that rider on the brochure, or that guy you know or the other guy on the forum, those guys are happier than you with the newer/ different bike.
D. Hey, at least I'm riding. You start out enjoying the ride but find that by the time you get home you can't remember much of it but you have formulated a plan for pitching getting a different scooter to your significant other.
E. Screw it. I can't stand another minute on this POS. What was I thinking?
If you are in group C then you might as well just accept that you will find yourself in Group D or E before long. It's all downhill when you get it in your head that a different bike holds out the promise of better than what you have.
That's the problem with the zen of motorcycling. It's magic when it takes the world away but it sucks when it's just you and a machine that you have fallen out of love with.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Pop you should write a blog. Your posts are entertaining and informative. Keep writing and riding

·
Registered
273 Posts

Love the orange also and considered trading my 11 xc in. The only thing is it only comes with the round bars and no trunk available. I didn't think I would use the trunk on my 11 that much-but it would be hard to go without it now.As far as the forged bars I think it gives a unique look to the bike-but they would have to be blacked out also. I feel the round bars give them the "everyday" bike look.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Who says you have to keep the forged bars on it if you was to trade in your 11. Just pull them off and put them on your new ride if you get one.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The ABS is worth every penny, saved my bacon once for real and have used it stopping/avoiding cagers 3 times total.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great replys. Thanks! Pop, You kill me. good stuff. and yes if I keep my ride which I do love, I would consider a cusyom paint job.

The ABS would definately be a major reason . I was thinking along the lines of a more improved tranny. Still cant get over that compensator noise. Anyone know if that noise was eliminated?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Great replys. Thanks! Pop, You kill me. good stuff. and yes if I keep my ride which I do love, I would consider a cusyom paint job.

The ABS would definately be a major reason . I was thinking along the lines of a more improved tranny. Still cant get over that compensator noise. Anyone know if that noise was eliminated?
Some had EXTREME issue with noise & after it finally failed, Victory acknowledge it wasn't (after all) "normal" so do a search on here for Beobob's thread. He had to go a long way to get the right people @ Victory to listen but he did in the end. If your's is experiencing similar issues, make CERTAIN you document it.

I have an early production '11 but have never heard ANY noise out of my transmission so I guess I am like most and wondering what this noise is that others are talking about on their '11 models. However, if that noise is grinding on YOUR nerves, I could easily understand someone wanting to move forward to a '13 and the Orange does look good.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts

Haven't heard of anyone with the 13 model complaining about the compensator noise but then it was only a few who did in the first place with the 11 model. I have the 11 model and did not have this issue for very long. Started at about 300 miles and slowly went away as it broke in.

As far as ABS or any mechanical safety improvements; it's great that the manufacturers keep finding ways to make things better but the hard truth is the very best safety equipment we have is planted right between our ears.

Stay sharp and defensive. Read the traffic. Notice that little old lady in the car up ahead and assume she doesn't see you. Anyone living in a hybrid retirement community like much of AZ and FL knows this all too well.

No way would I trade mine in; but then I am still in biker love with both my Vic's. :D

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Haven't heard of anyone with the 13 model complaining about the compensator noise but then it was only a few who did in the first place with the 11 model. I have the 11 model and did not have this issue for very long. Started at about 300 miles and slowly went away as it broke in.

As far as ABS or any mechanical safety improvements; it's great that the manufacturers keep finding ways to make things better but the hard truth is the very best safety equipment we have is planted right between our ears.

Stay sharp and defensive. Read the traffic. Notice that little old lady in the car up ahead and assume she doesn't see you. Anyone living in a hybrid retirement community like much of AZ and FL knows this all too well.

No way would I trade mine in; but then I am still in biker love with both my Vic's. :D
+1

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
51 Posts

I have a 2013 XCT an can tell you the compensator noise is definetly still part of riding a Victory. My wife drives a 2009 Vegas an I am not sure if it is because of the fairing on the XCT but the noise is louder on the XCT than on the Vegas. I have not notice any tranny noise whats so ever, life is short ride what you like, cause that feeling is priceless. cheers

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I keep saying tranny noises when I mean compensator noises. My tranny shifts great.

The other night I went for what I call a granny ride. Thats when I just want to cruise around and get out to clear my head. Smooth slow riding, shifting at 3000 rpm max and staying always within the cruising spot of 2200 to 2800 rpms.
The compensator noise was minimal when I pulled back in to the garage a couple hours later. I usually let my bike idle for a moment so I can hear this noise but this time it was minimal.

When I ride Stacey David style, (more agressive higher rpm shifts,) I find the noise to be more pronounced. especially cruising in 5th gear in lower rpms under 2000. Whrn I pull my rpms up to about 2300 n above it goes away.Then after I pull in and stop put her in nuetral and listen. Sounds like a rattle.

Some say they have it and some say not? Must be a Vic thing cause now some are saying it is there on their 12 models also. What about 13 models?

Anyway, If the 13 or future 14's are free from what I think is a defect then that would be enough to sway me to a new one. The colors and ABS are just a bonus. I love the XC bike and style and ride. Dont want another bike just want this model to maybe be a little more tweaked and refined. wac

·
Registered
436 Posts
I wonder how much it would cost to add ABS to one of the X bikes....anyone know?

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
I wonder how much it would cost to add ABS to one of the X bikes....anyone know?
It's cost prohibitive. Too much to change. Even the computer would have to be changed. ABS needs to be built into the bike at the time of building it or you would see a bunch of people marketing aftermarket ABS.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looks like it adds a grand to new bike prices. That seems to be the norm with most bike mfgs. I bet if you were to buy all the components individually or as a pkg for that matter it would far exceed that cost.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
As others have pointed out, it's not viable. However, some are doing other things like the Traction Braking System listed below. Some have stated provide some similar benefits while others have stated they feel no difference and it may be snake oil. I've never tried anything like this so ymmv
http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2013 XCT an can tell you the compensator noise is definetly still part of riding a Victory. My wife drives a 2009 Vegas an I am not sure if it is because of the fairing on the XCT but the noise is louder on the XCT than on the Vegas. I have not notice any tranny noise whats so ever, life is short ride what you like, cause that feeling is priceless. cheers
You say you are experiencing the compensator noise on your 13 XCT. Damm I thought for sure there would have been a fix by now. now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts