Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 10 years of great performance, I traded my 2006 hammer in this morning for a 2016 Xcountry is suede white.....the Xcountry already had a boat load of accessories that I wanted, so it helped seal the deal.....

Some pics of the Xcountry and looking forward to another 10 years out of this bike.......oh, btw, the Xcountry came with stage 2 performance kit that includes the victory cams...will really open her up after break-in period......a new windshield on the way, my head about flew off from the buffeting....

Will miss my hammer, 26k miles of absolute joy.......

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics...one at a time for some reason...

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another pics from the rear end.....

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Final close up of engine bay mods...

Attachments

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Your dealer really loaded 'er up. Bars, mirrors, Tri-Ovals, cams, custom cheese wedges, floorboards, rear brake reservoir, passenger backrest, grips....wow! To really flatter that beauty, you need my hand made, custom, unique laydown license plate bracket. Click the link in my signature. (Shameless self promotion)

·
Registered
69 Posts
PSSSSST , shhhhhh Dont tell RICZ but omarf4 bike already has a laydown plate bracket

Reactions: OgreNJ

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Buffeting that takes your head off....sigh the big turd on an otherwise nice bike. Be ready for a new windshield and probably fork mounted wind deflectors. I refuse to buy Victory brand to fix these things because it seems like it's defective by Design but that's just me design a flaw and sell the fix.

Reactions: Marius

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all....really enjoyed the bike on a night ride yesterday. Getting a good feel on how she performs under me.......

How tall should the windshield be to eliminate buffeting? It's really bad.... I am 6'2" and can barely see due to wind once I cross 55 mph..squinting way too hard to be comfortable.........

Would an 11" windshield help? Taller?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Looks like a Rick Fairless / Dallas Strokers build to me ..... Nice Bike .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I also added the Victory hard lowers , pricey (I got them at my dealer for 800.00) BUT , they function great , house a power outlet and my ipod , block wind and rain and cure ALL buffeting . At times I use the Magnum's boomerang shield and with the lowers I can do 80 MPH with NO Buffeting at all . That screen sticks up about 2" .

I agree with Vindex , seems to be a design flaw , Im 6'2" and NO shield cured my buffeting , its going to take more then that .

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
a new windshield on the way, my head about flew off from the buffeting.
The stock windshield definitely needs to be be replaced if you are anything over 5' tall ;) I'm 6' and use a 12" windshield.
What you're going to find is that once you find the right windshield to squash that direct wind blast the actual head buffeting is caused by dirty air coming from under the fairing, off the front fender and around the tank. This is what you're really going to need to control. There are a number of solutions available just do a search. I have a # of threads on "heat & buffeting" issues. The pics below are what I found that works best for me.
Great looking bike and setup you've got there omar...many happy miles to you thumb up

My buffeting control:

older pic of my windshield

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
I have an 11" windvest and Memphis Shades fork mounted wind deflectors along with closeouts. The closeouts do nothing for buffeting they're there for comfort. The fork deflectors are in my signature.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Pain......good detail there....

What's funny is that back in 2011, I considered trading the hammer in for a Xcountry after my trip to sturgis but decided to wait till they addressed the buffeting issues.....well, that was 5 years ago and I forgot!

So after the windshield, I'll focus on the lower wind deflectors....have a pair of Memphis shades blacked out fork mounted deflectors in the garage that I've used on the hammer in the past...will get those on and see the outcome...

And yes, for those that asked, this is a Dallas strokers build Xcountry.....

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Thanks all....really enjoyed the bike on a night ride yesterday. Getting a good feel on how she performs under me.......

How tall should the windshield be to eliminate buffeting? It's really bad.... I am 6'2" and can barely see due to wind once I cross 55 mph..squinting way too hard to be comfortable.........

Would an 11" windshield help? Taller?

As long as it has a flip 9-10" should do the trick.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have an 11" windvest and Memphis Shades fork mounted wind deflectors along with closeouts. The closeouts do nothing for buffeting they're there for comfort. The fork deflectors are in my signature.
Thanks for sharing the details of what you did. Very good to know for us all. And I agree that Victory SHOULD HAVE put a bike out with those mods already done.

Don't they realize how many people test drive the bikes and get put off by the buffeting and walk away from buying the bike because of it?!

Dumb arses....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Folks,
I added the front lower fork wind deflectors and definitely made a difference in buffeting! Good call Pain!!! Just waiting on the 11" windshield that shipped from patriot bangers in NC....has a top flip and will be here Friday...

Question: what's with this "whine" sound right in front of the gas tank? Like a belt is running when you throttle up...is that normal? My hammer never sounded like that...it might be normal based on a few threads, but it's very obvious... Not a valve knock for sure...just a constant whine from the engine when riding around (not on idle).....

For the record, my hammer had more pull and hold-on tight feeling and definitely more torque but the Xcountry has so much more creator comfort and a joy to ride around....can't get the grin off yet......

·
Registered
193 Posts
Folks,
I added the front lower fork wind deflectors and definitely made a difference in buffeting! Good call Pain!!! Just waiting on the 11" windshield that shipped from patriot bangers in NC....has a top flip and will be here Friday...

Question: what's with this "whine" sound right in front of the gas tank? Like a belt is running when you throttle up...is that normal? My hammer never sounded like that...it might be normal based on a few threads, but it's very obvious... Not a valve knock for sure...just a constant whine from the engine when riding around (not on idle).....

For the record, my hammer had more pull and hold-on tight feeling and definitely more torque but the Xcountry has so much more creator comfort and a joy to ride around....can't get the grin off yet......
The air filter is under the front of the tank. The stock unit has a gasket that seals around the bottom of the tank. Some people will remove that to let the engine breathe better which will also make the air sucking sound louder. The other option is that they put a Lloyds air filter in in which case you also remove that seal and the sound is definitely noticeable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The stock windshield definitely needs to be be replaced if you are anything over 5' tall ;) I'm 6' and use a 12" windshield.
What you're going to find is that once you find the right windshield to squash that direct wind blast the actual head buffeting is caused by dirty air coming from under the fairing, off the front fender and around the tank. This is what you're really going to need to control. There are a number of solutions available just do a search. I have a # of threads on "heat & buffeting" issues. The pics below are what I found that works best for me.
Great looking bike and setup you've got there omar...many happy miles to you thumb up

My buffeting control:

older pic of my windshield
PaiN where did you buy those deflectors from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
PaiN where did you buy those deflectors from?
The deflectors are Memphis Shades fork mounts as well as the clamps(arms) available on Ebay or Amazon. (I'm at work and don't have time to get part links right now, sorry). The attachment to the highway bars is my own design done, for the time being, with 1.25" insulated P-clamps.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Sounds like a fuel pump to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts