Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded my '06 Kawi Vulcan 2000 for a brand new Cross Country Tour. Loving the new bike with all the amenities, planning two major trips this summer. Hope this forum is as friendly and helpful as the Vulcan forum was, great people helping each other out.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Welcome aboard and Congrats on the new XCT! :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Welcome !

VROC'r here as well...2000 Nomad. [still in the NG]

New here also, 2012 XR...hope you enjoy your new ride as much as I have been enjoying mine.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Man, are we ever helpful here. I'll start the ball rolling with these tips...
+ Make sure you battery terminals are TIGHT and you have placed star washers under the bolts.
+ Air up the rear shock on the optimistic side--there's more weight on you and the bike than you think.
+ Maintain the proper clutch adjustment and keep the cable ends well lubed as well as the lever pivot bushing.
+ Pay good mind to which way you are rotating the oil drain plug when removing it--too many have stripped theirs. Use a torque wrench when replacing it. Helpful hint; set the direction on your ratchet prior to wrenching and you'll do fine.
+ Make those cross bikes prettier by clicking on the first link in my signature.
+ Have fun and ride a lot.

·
13,235 Posts
Hockeyref
what color did you get hope you screwed the deler

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the welcomes-really appreciate the tips and the warm welcome-think I will feel at home here. So far the bike is GREAT. First service after break-in this Friday and then I can drive a little more normally.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Break-in takes about 3,000 miles, so be patient. You'll notice the increased performance as you progress.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Man, are we ever helpful here. I'll start the ball rolling with these tips...
+ Make sure you battery terminals are TIGHT and you have placed star washers under the bolts.
+ Air up the rear shock on the optimistic side--there's more weight on you and the bike than you think.
+ Maintain the proper clutch adjustment and keep the cable ends well lubed as well as the lever pivot bushing.
+ Pay good mind to which way you are rotating the oil drain plug when removing it--too many have stripped theirs. Use a torque wrench when replacing it. Helpful hint; set the direction on your ratchet prior to wrenching and you'll do fine.
+ Make those cross bikes prettier by clicking on the first link in my signature.
+ Have fun and ride a lot.
that was a well camoflaged plug ricz!

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
I thought it was pretty blatant. I need to sell more brackets and adapters. The collection agency is bugging about the money I still owe the Mustang Ranch.:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I thought it was pretty blatant. I need to sell more brackets and adapters. The collection agency is bugging about the money I still owe the Mustang Ranch.:)
ha! i already have one but you almost just got me to buy another just to keep the economy goin!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Break-in takes about 3,000 miles, so be patient. You'll notice the increased performance as you progress.
You mean my scoot is going to get even better?
Well alrighty then!

I forget that I literally just broke like 1200 miles.. Granted she's cammed out and has seen the business end of a dyno as well.

But Hockeyref, the trick to these bikes, like most, is let 'em warm up before you get in the throttle with torque on the motor. And because this bike is pretty efficient with cooling, sometimes that can take a few miles before it's ready to boogie. Took forever for my bike to warm up enough to dyno it a couple weekends ago. Stock bikes warm up sooner though due to their tune, but certainly don't be afraid to let her idle at first for a minute or two while you do helmet and gloves and stuff. In the long haul, she'll appreciate it.

Then drive it like you're not afraid of it. They make happiness between 2500 and 4500. Don't bother lower than 2300 unless you're basically coasting.

.... All my opinion, which with a $1.50 will buy ya a cup o' coffee. thumb up

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
You wanna keep those revs above 2500, especially in the twisties. I'm in the 3500+ range when working the curves. The engine is lovin' it and I have better control of the bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats and enjoy the new bike.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks bsbabcock, I always warm up my bikes-especially when starting from cold and then drive easy for the first ten minutes. If I can expect more power after 3000 miles or so that would be sweet! I bought the bike with the stage 1 kit installed so I am pretty happy with it as it is right now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts