Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading lots of good information on towing with a Victory as I picked up a used trailer, Kompact Kamp and have ordered a Bushtec hitch and isolator. What I am looking for is your experience with towing and what you would do different or any advice to pass along as I've never towed before but I am looking forward to trips where we can take along some extra stuff that doesn't pack well on the bike.

·
13,251 Posts
Before you start pulling a trailer I would add ATS to your bike

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Does the ATS actually help when you add load at otherwise comparable conditions? Coming from back in the day when we all tweaked timing I would not have necessarily expected it to help. The "vacuum advance" was used back then to retard timing when load increased for an otherwise identical engine situation. Timing only got very advanced based on vacuum when load was near zero.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Towing

My experience, albeit with a sports tourer (FJR 1300) is that I never knew the trailer was there, that is till SWMBO yelled at me " remember, we are towing". The power of the FJR made a big difference but it is torque that shifts weight and V twins have lots of torque. A well set up unit (the FJR needed a decent rear shock) is an easy drive towing.

tom

·
13,251 Posts
If your bike is 800 plus pounds and then you add two people and we all know the good benefits from it. Now add a trailer say two hundred pounds or more a ATS would just add power from taking off up hill stop signs and more.
That was my thinking

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Unless your racing power is mostly a non issue. Planning stops and sharp down hill corners you should pay attention.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Best thing is to keep your tongue weight under 35# you can use a bathroom scale and a block of wood if your trailer doesn't have a stand. You may have to reload and move things around to get it right and after that just repack the same way for the rest of the trip. With to much tongue weight you may feel the trailer trying to push the back of bike around on sharp curves or push down when trying to stop. I find the extra weight is not really an issue as long as you don't get carried away. Lets say you ride 2 up and pack enough for a weeks trip in the saddle bags and trunk and maybe a bag on top of the trunks luggage rack if you have one. Now all of that weight is carried by the bike and for you to keep balanced. Your bike is not going to ride the same then. Now take all of that weight off the bike stow it in a trailer paying attention to tongue weight, I prefer about 25#'s, you added the tongue weight to the bike versus the entire load. You will increase your rolling resistance and your power and fuel mileage will suffer slightly but other than that your bike will handle much as it did before. IMHO it much less fatiguing on long trips because I'm not having to hold up all of the extra weight every stop and I find it more stable in the wind. If everything is set up properly you will luv it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a trailer that I pulled with my C90. It's not that big and it wasn't loaded that heavy but I could really tell it was back there especially going up hill.
It will put extra load on your bike. You will find you will have to keep the revs up and shift later. Do not lug the motor.
The ATS will force your timing to be further ahead than it would normally be for running with a load like a trailer so I wouldn't go there yet....

Personally I found having the trailer on the bike takes away from the fun of being on a bike. You need to be aware it's back there at all times. You need to stay away from curbs and the shoulder of the road.

I have built a hitch for my XCT. I have not pulled the trailer with it yet but will in the near future. Maybe the XCT will do a better job with the extra weight .....

·
Registered
45 Posts
You may be somewhat new to the forum. VJ always has a answer, but as to any experience, well you be the judge. :rolleyes:thumb up

I may be new to this forum but I wasn't born last night :ltr:

I haven't pulled my trailer with my new xct yet got the hitch installed and a wiring harness purchased for the wiring so I have no real world experience pulling a trailer with this bike yet. I see no problems with the bike having enough power to handle a trailer. The Venture I traded had no issues but I learned threw others that actually had experience with a trailer behind there bike and a few trial and error trips till we got it down pat.

If this bike is all folks seem to be bragging about then a lil trailer behind won't be and issue and not require any performance mods just to pull one.

I do find that is not as much fun to ride with a trailer as without and you do need to watch the curbs and the gas pumps and try to remember it's back there.

I also find that is less fun riding and overloaded bike.

When we get to and area we want to ride for a few days the trailer stays locked up at the motel.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I don't own a trailer and have never hauled one behind a bike so I have no experience to lend to that. However, our bikes do not like taking off, the more weight you have the harder it is. It's the lack of low end power that causes that lugging. That is why LLoyd come up with the ATS, I've seen a dyno directly after an install of the ATS only. It was at 4+ and it added 4hp and something close to that in torque. I would guess that every hp and torque improvement at the bottom end you can get would only benefit taking off with the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
VJ always has a answer, but as to any experience, well you be the judge. :rolleyes:thumb up
Yep, and its usually wrong :ltr: Sorry VJ :eek:

I do agree though, the extra ponies couldn't hurt during take off.

·
Registered
427 Posts
At the risk of sounding stupid....What is ATS? It's gotta be an acronym for something..

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
No worries RB.....When you get to be my advanced age, your skin gets pretty thick! cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Phil you saved my bacon on that one.

Another thing be sure and check those wheel bearings and pack them good. The tongue of the trailer should be about twice the axle width to prevent wagging the tail. Don't run your trailer tires air pressure @the max. I have the 12'' tires and run 18# to 20# and keep both sides equal. You can experiment with this to give your trailer a smooth ride since weight won't be a factor.

Not sure on this bike yet but on my Venture I needed to be running about 75 on the speedo to stay in overdrive before I added the V-MAX gears will see on this bike if 6th gear is usable pulling a trailer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts