Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm new to the group and have a new 2012 Cross Counrty Tour. I have just bought a Bushtec hitch and I'm looking for the spot to tie in my trailer lights can someone let me know where a good spot is. Thanks much for your help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm looking for a spot where there is a harness so I can make a jumper harness with a pig tail to go between and not have to splice into the wires for brakes, turn and tail lights. I'm sure there is one somewhere I just can't find it, on the Venture I use to have it has by the battery. I can't believe they aren't harnessed up somewhere. Thanks much

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm looking for a spot where there is a harness so I can make a jumper harness with a pig tail to go between and not have to splice into the wires for brakes, turn and tail lights. I'm sure there is one somewhere I just can't find it, on the Venture I use to have it has by the battery. I can't believe they aren't harnessed up somewhere. Thanks much
I just did this and had to tap into the wires under the seat using the isolator kit from Bustec.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Under the right side cover is where the main harness and the rear section plug together. I just spliced and soldered to the rear section just south of the plug and it worked out fine. I think I had to take off a bracket or two for better access to the harness. thumb up

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I may ask more advice as I tackle this the dealer said they will install the hitch and hopefully wire it as well

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks I may ask more advice as I tackle this the dealer said they will install the hitch and hopefully wire it as well
Shoot I'd let em do it if the charge is minimal. Directions for the hitch are lousy, took a little trial and error, but not too bad.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
My '11 Vision had built in trailer wiring stripped and taped back, ready for direct connect. I'm betting the newer Cross bikes have the same four wire pigtail hanging off the rear harness as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok the dealer isnt doing the wiring I looked at the rear tail light cant seem to figure out what gunslinger asking me to look for, also took the side cover off the right side while sitting on bike nothing made sence there either. Can some tell me more or does anyone have a pictures of what they did to hook up their lights. Any help would be great once I find it I should be OK I have the bushtec sub harness and isolater already I have to order the 5 into 4 connections due to the fact my trailer plug is a 4 post. Thanks everyone for the questions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
my connection was under the seat and behind the right side cover. This is on a highball though and may not be the same on your model. I would suggest that you follow the tail light wires from your tail light to the connection plug of the main harness. If you wire in to the back side (towards the tail light) you won't have to mess with the main harness and if you have a major screw up you will only have to buy a rear section harness. Really not as hard as it sounds but, maybe you can take it to a U-haul trailer place and see if they can help you. Good luck my friend, Jim cheers

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
What I'm referring to is NOT a "plug" and is NOT located behind the rear light assembly. It is simply a "branch" off of the main rear lighting harness, along the ride side of the bike, under the seat. It's maybe 8" long, and contains four individual wires, each one stripped, and wrapped with a piece of blue tape to prevent shorting against anything. These wires are power, ground, left, and right turn signals, with the left and right also carrying the brake signals. They are perfectly set up for a dual light trailer. I can't believe my bike is the only one manufactured that came with this built in trailer wiring pigtail (not a plug, just bare wires).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I will pull my side covers off and the seat to check tonight, Thanks again for your help. Also the right side would be as you were sitting on the bike correct? Thank You and ride safe

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Wow, I seriously need to proof read before I post. Along the "right" side, not the ride side.... lol

I'm sure there are more, but I about puked my diet coke out of my nose when I re-read that.

Yes, the right side as you sit on the bike. On my '11 Vision, merely pulling the seat exposed the main rear wiring harness. It connects to the main wiring harness via a very large connector along the right side, about where the rider sits. Then continues along the right side of the frame towards the rear, where it supplies power for a myriad of things, including lighting. The "trailer pigtail" was readily accessible aft of that big connector. At first, I wasn't sure what that pigtail and it's four wires were for, as no one had ever described it being there previously. But, it had the proper coloring of wires, and so I metered it out. Low and behold, all the trailer light functions were right there, stripped and ready to be crimped! Granted, I don't have a trailer, I used it for auxiliary LED brake/turn lighting on the trunk lid. But, the wires are definitely ground, power (for tail / running light), left turn w/brake, and right turn w/brake. The turns fully override the solid on function of the brake signal, and vice versa, just as a trailer converter would do.

Hope this helps clarify.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyones help and imput it sure is a tight area where the main harness branches off just for the rear lights. I was hoping to make a jumper type connector but can't seem to find the right harness connectors. At one point I almost ordered the rear light harness and make that into a pigtail type thing, Im gonna splice in somewhere before it splits at the rear fender only cause it's an easier spot. Thanks again to everyone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts