Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I searched but didn't really find anything on this topic. I am in process of moving from Chicagoland to Raleigh, NC and cant wait to get back in the saddle after a terrible winter. I am using UHaul truck, a car hauler and ordered a M/C trailer but come to find out the M/C trailers are only available for local use. So they are going to give me a "ramp" trailer. It does not come with and I can't mount a chock. This will be the first time that I have trailered my XC. I have trailer previous bikes but always on a trailer set up with chocks. Does anyone have experience w/o chocks? Problems or not? Tips, etc.

'13 Black XC
Bassani 2>1
Lloydz intake and VM-1
T.V.S. tuned PC-V

·
Registered
206 Posts
Driven many bikes, many miles without them. In fact never used them. ratchet strap on each fork/triple tree and one through the back tire. Never had a problem

·
13,235 Posts
stick the front wheel in the corner of the trailer so it can't move side to side. side to side is what you don't want

·
Registered
352 Posts
you can still use a chock,you just have to strap the chock down.
I'm assuming the trailer your renting is Aluminum so you cant mount the chock?
I just rented a uhaul(aluminum trailer) and thats what I did.
Strapped the chock down then strap the bike down.
I put the chock against a few pieces of wood,so the fender wouldnt hit the front of the trailer

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Hemidan, your license bracket is on its way. Thanks for buying one. Which Hemi do you have? I have a 2007 Chrysler 300C in Arrest Me Red. What a great machine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have mounted a chock to a two by six with eye bolts in it to attach ratchet straps to. Strapping the board down and the the bike does a good job of immobilizing everything. Not the best option but it is an option.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hemidan, your license bracket is on its way. Thanks for buying one. Which Hemi do you have? I have a 2007 Chrysler 300C in Arrest Me Red. What a great machine.
Thanks
I have the older one...2004 2500 Dodge Ram with 37" tires and a 6" ish lift....and I love it...Thank god its not my daily driver....gas would kill me...:D

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have never used a chock. I put the strap around the fork above the lower triple tree and then hook the strap back to itself. I also like to wrap a white cotton rag around the fork to prevent the strap from leaving any marks. I used red ratchet straps on a brushed aluminum fork once. I could never get these small red marks out. I also like to try to hook rear straps to the frame vs the tire. If you can compress the suspension a little it will bounce less going down the road. Less bouncing means less of a chance something will loosen or move. And NEVER be afraid to use too many straps. You can't be too carefully. If you have no bags you could put a strap over the passenger seat. If you put it over the driver seat it has a bigger seat pan and I've seen those bend slightly on long trips with a tight strap over it. I've hauled over 3,000 pieces of John Deere farm machinery. I haven't lost anything yet. I work for the local dealer here. When in doubt, add a strap.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check your straps after the first 50 or so miles and then again every time you stop.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Thanks
I have the older one...2004 2500 Dodge Ram with 37" tires and a 6" ish lift....and I love it...Thank god its not my daily driver....gas would kill me...:D
It looks very tired. Sorry Dan, I couldn't pass up that golden opportunity./:ltr:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I must be the only person that has problems with the front wheel cocking to one side or the other.

Ive dumped a bike on a trailer like that.....wheel cocked, strap loosened, flop.....didnt hurt anything but I got lucky.

MY trailer has a chock and if I use my buddies I put the front tire up against an upright support. Then I run a strap thru the wheel and around the support and cinch it down - effectively locking the wheel. Never had any trouble that way.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
If you really wanna be super safe and do a little overkill buy a sheet of 3/4" plywood. Mount your chock to it with through bolts and strap that to the bed of the trailer. Then your bike is sitting o n top of the plywood and strapped to the trailer. Never going anywhere.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mount a chalk to a couple of 2x whatever's that are long enough to keep things shifting side to side. Add some blocks to stop forward movement then strap the whole thing to the from tie downs to prevent backward movement. Add bike and tie down. Check the straps in the first 10 to 50 miles and each time you stop. Also carry a couple of extra just in case.( don't ask how I know that one)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for all of the input. That's why I love the forum great info and lots of experience!

'13 Black XC
Bassani 2>1
Lloydz intake and VM-1
T.V.S. tuned PC-V

1 - 15 of 15 Posts