Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm about 3 hours from home, in Winston-Salem NC. Pulled over to stop for a minute while my riding buddy put an address in his GPS. I stayed on the bike with it running.

When I pulled out of the parking lot, turning right onto the road I heard and felt like I was scraping. Then immediately I have no power to the wheels in any gear. The grinding sound is coming from the left side primary.

The bike has 14k miles on it so I doubt its simply a clutch. It was running flawlessly until then. When letting out the clutch lever, it almost attempts to move and the noise returns. Clutch cable seems fine. I'm waiting for a trailer to arrive now. Oil has around 1k miles on it and looked clean and full this morning. Bike is too hot to check it right now. No leaks are apparent.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Perhaps the transmission shaft is spinning in the pulley? I read somewhere that this was updated or otherwise known to be an issue on the older bikes...

[EDIT] You said left side. Wonder if something happened in the gear primary. However, I know that when my belt chirps, it too sounds like it comes from the left...

·
13,047 Posts
Till you pull primary it could be any thing. Hope its a cheap fix for you
Maybe compensator sprocket

·
13,047 Posts
maybe replace the seals while your there
are you doing stock pulley

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow - how's that possible

Looks like the sounds were resonating and it wasn't on that side. Drive sprocket is stripped.
you mean that there are the teeth worn off by the belt, and all that in under 15k miles?
just trying to get my head around that. And if I have to worry about this happening as well....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I'm sticking with a stock replacement. The belt and outer teeth are fine. Its the inner teeth that are junk. After removing the cover,I found that the nut had loosened up and wasn't even finger tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
oops, looks to me like the nut is on wrong

flat side out and chamfered side at the sprocket. that way the 'holding ring' did not hold it. Is that the case?

·
13,047 Posts
Its great to see you can do the work your self. thumb up

·
Registered
427 Posts
flat side out and chamfered side at the sprocket. that way the 'holding ring' did not hold it. Is that the case?
Are they toplock nuts? Then it's definitely on the wrong side. That being said you should always have 2 threads exposed. Pretty piss poor design if it doesn't.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You better check the fit of a new pulley. Looks to me that the output shaft has had the splines worn down pretty good.
^^^^^^ Yea I would think it wore some of the teeth on the shaft.

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll have to go look at the nut again when I'm back at home, but it appears that the outside surface of the nut in the pic is flat. Can't say that I recall seeing a chamfered side on the nut after I took it off with my hands.

Also, a new nut has also been ordered with the new sprocket.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Are they toplock nuts? Then it's definitely on the wrong side. That being said you should always have 2 threads exposed. Pretty piss poor design if it doesn't.
There should have been several exposed threads, and the nut should be held in place by the lock plate behind it. In the pic, the nut has loosened up, thus causing the problem.

KevinX informed me that the torque spec on this nut was originally 125ft lbs., and Vic has since changed it to 180ft lbs. It was also originally part of the 10k inspection, but later changed to 30k.

Regardless, if you're concerned, go ahead and check the torque on this nut during your next service. It doesn't cost anything to access it (no draining oil, etc.). Loosen exhaust, remove cover, and it's right there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let's see...Calling Obama a tranny in jest is disrespectful, but accusing Bush of murder is OK?
Haha, you know, I thought about changing the title of this post, but since it worked so well to get you folks in here to comment, I'll just leave it.

Thanks for your comments/opinion/suggestions gentlemen! I appreciate it.

I'll post an update after the new parts are installed.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Let's see...Calling Obama a tranny in jest is disrespectful, but accusing Bush of murder is OK?
You should expect such a comment coming from Seattle:ltr:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts