Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tranny locks up when down shifting some times I am forced to take off in 2nd or 3rd gear someone suggested new shifter bushings. my shifter is extremely lose and she shits loud this problem happens periodically especially when hot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Downshifting when slowing down will help, I sometimes have problems if I completely stop without shifting slowly down to 1st.

Try this: While stopped keep slight down pressure on the shifter, slowly let out the clutch until you feel it slide into the next down gear. Should continue to shift down with clutch in from there, if not, repeat.

I have had to do this occasionally on most all of the bikes I have ever owned.

If this does not work, there are more questions related to clutch operation we need to have answers to, but those also have up shift issues. You need to post which model bike you have.

·
13,003 Posts
What year and model do you have

Is your clutch out of adjustment. Look in your owners book it will tell you about free play and adjustment.

how much side to side play is there in your shifter. There should be about a 1/16" to 1/8"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year and model do you have

Is your clutch out of adjustment. Look in your owners book it will tell you about free play and adjustment.

how much side to side play is there in your shifter. There should be about a 1/16" to 1/8"
I have a 2011 vision 8 ball shifter has about 1" side to side play,

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I roll back and forth at the stop light while pressing down on the pedal with the clutch in it usually clicks for me
If I play with it yes I can get it but that ain't doing me good on a steep hill with a rider on the back, have to be able to get the gears then or could end up in trouble. do a lot of mountain riding.

·
13,003 Posts
if you really have a 1" of side play go to witchdoctor and buy his bushings

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
if you really have a 1" of side play go to witchdoctor and buy his bushings
If you decide to do that, read the warning by WD about that bushing. The essence of it is that you need to make sure it doesn't bind on you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
my shifter is extremely lose and she shits loud this problem happens periodically especially when hot.
All some good advice hear. One problem we can't help you with is the shits though. You're going to have to deal with that issue on your own. :ltr: :D

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
she shits loud this problem happens periodically especially when hot.
Sometimes I have that same problem, I try flushing or turning on the bathroom faucet at the same time so nobody else can hear me. Although, temperature doesn't seem to have much to do with it in my case :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
my shifter is extremely lose and she shits loud this problem happens periodically especially when hot.
You might try slipping some Benefiber into her diet to, um, firm things up a bit. Maybe try a light beer. Sometimes regular beer can do that. Does she do this loud whooshing in public or just in the privacy of your home? I mean, uh, can everyone in the restaurant hear this or just you?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Prolly don't want to be riding if having the sh- ts is a possibility..:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Coffee helps

·
13,003 Posts
Eddie
did you get it fixed. You clutch cable might need adjusting

·
Registered
679 Posts
Try X-lax shits way quiet. thumb up
or shift while moving it's not that tuff. All bikes have their quirks. Learn how to make yours work. (amsoil) Oh No, I hope I didn't turn this into the dreaded oil thread. :confused::cool:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
or shift while moving it's not that tuff. All bikes have their quirks. Learn how to make yours work. (amsoil) Oh No, I hope I didn't turn this into the dreaded oil thread. :confused::cool:
You did if the forum troll sees that...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eddie
did you get it fixed. You clutch cable might need adjusting
Got the bushings from witchdoctor haven't had the time to put them on hopefully this week if that does not get it going to do the clutch thing. Then take it from there sure hope its not the shifter forks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use amsoil and victory oil no change I always shift while moving. but she jams up and will not down shift at times no matter what I do have to take off in another gear besides 1st. Glad this has not happen while going up a steep hill with my wife on the back. Not good...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts