Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[2011 Kingpin. 37k miles, new Victory oil 500 miles ago ] I searched and didn't see a thread so I'm guessing this isn't common. But my bike will shift on it's own on a semi-rare occasion. The first time it shifted from 6th all the way down to first on the freeway. I clutched in and shifted back up, but it would drop down to 1st on it's own. Once I got pulled over it was fine. (One) Another time I was going up a hill and was shifting down to 5th and I watched the gear panel shifting down to third. I clutched in and waited a couple seconds, then was able to move it to 4th then 5th. (Two) The last time was starting from 1st gear the bike shifted to 2nd, then 3rd at perfect timing. Almost like an automatic. LOL. I've had the bike three months and those are the three occasions it happened. It more frequently wants to go from 1st to neutral instead of 2nd, but that is an easy compensation. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Your clutch is slipping

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
What oil is in it?
Check clutch cable shouldn't be tight.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Your transmission only has a neutral sensor. It doesn't actually know what gear you are in. It just calculates the gear number based on RPM and road speed. If your clutch switch says your clutch is out, then it calculates a number. If clutch is pulled in, then it gives a "--" (dash). Neutral is always 'N'.

If your clutch is slipping, the revs go higher and the road speed stays the same. Therefore, the calculation thinks you are in a lower gear.

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
Is the transmission REALLY changing gears or is the display just saying that you are in a different gear. For example, you say, "it shifted from 6th all the way down to first on the freeway". If your bike really went into 1st gear at freeway speeds, you would instantly have a huge problem. The rpms would go way past redline and the engine might grenade. At the very least, it would be like hitting a wall and you would probably crash as, what would effectively be massive engine braking, caused your back wheel to skid. Did something like this happen or did your dash display merely display1st gear?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the transmission REALLY changing gears or is the display just saying that you are in a different gear. For example, you say, "it shifted from 6th all the way down to first on the freeway". If your bike really went into 1st gear at freeway speeds, you would instantly have a huge problem. The rpms would go way past redline and the engine might grenade. At the very least, it would be like hitting a wall and you would probably crash as, what would effectively be massive engine braking, caused your back wheel to skid. Did something like this happen or did your dash display merely display1st gear?
It shifted down. I was going 30+ in first gear to get to the side of the road. And when I kept shifting up it was shifting down faster than I could shift up. Only happened twice though. The first time caught me off guard (I was clutching in a lot) and the other vehicles saw I was in distress so multiple lanes all slowed down so I could move over. (Utah)
Another time it shifted up to third gear on it's own as I was accelerating. I didn't think bike's could do that so maybe mine is possessed. LOL. But I believe the changing gears it was showing me on the dash was correct.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Apparently this guy had something similar happen. (downshifts when I accelerate ???) I'll have it serviced when the riding season slows down. The wait list is too long this time of year anyway. And my oil is Victory oil as stated above.
BTW, I've since learned to just clutch in and wait a few seconds for whatever is going on to stop, then I move the bike into the proper speed gear and continue on.

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
Dang. I do not know what is happening (other than "possessed" as you suggest). It does not sound good. A bike transmission really should not be able to do this.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
How's the circlip? You get rattle leaned to right in idle?
If you do the motor is done do not pass go do not ride.

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
You say, "No slack in the clutch cable " but you want to have a little slack in the clutch cable. You need a tiny amount of this slack - often called "free play" in the clutch cable. The end of the clutch lever should move about 1/2" without causing the arm on the engine end of the cable to move. If yours truly has "No slack", then it is too tight.

Reactions: Alwhite00
1 - 13 of 13 Posts