Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a hammer 05 with 8000 miles, so when under acceleration around 4800 to 5400 some where in there, in first gear only it come out of gear real fast then back into gear and keeps accelerating. but if i go throught first gear and shift to second like normal driving, then down shift to first and rev back up to high rpm it will not do this, out then back in to gear deal. so i took it to my local vic shop and he says he has to split the case to solve this, he told me what was going on but dont fully understand it, somthing about a warn bushing and leting the gear move on the shaft ,an blah blah.... any one hurd of this or any info on it thank you

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
i have a hammer 05 with 8000 miles, so when under acceleration around 4800 to 5400 some where in there, in first gear only it come out of gear real fast then back into gear and keeps accelerating. but if i go throught first gear and shift to second like normal driving, then down shift to first and rev back up to high rpm it will not do this, out then back in to gear deal. so i took it to my local vic shop and he says he has to split the case to solve this, he told me what was going on but dont fully understand it, somthing about a warn bushing and leting the gear move on the shaft ,an blah blah.... any one hurd of this or any info on it thank you
Rev limit on the 1st through 4th gear is at 5500 RPM. Your transmission is not coming out of gear and back in. Rather you're just hitting the rev limit.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hitting the rev limiter is REAL easy to do. The bike just keeps on pulling. Your there before you know it. Especially if you are feeling frisky with the throttle.

m

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
Hitting the rev limiter is REAL easy to do. The bike just keeps on pulling. Your there before you know it. Especially if you are feeling frisky with the throttle.

m
Indeed. It also caught me by surprise a few times. :D

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thing is you only need to go to about 3500- to blow Harley's away.

m
Lol!!!!
Tomorrow's the day for pickup. . Hate it's going to be 30 degrees and icy. I'll have to wait to get my jollies.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thing is you only need to go to about 3500- to blow Harley's away.

m
Also; you only need to go to about 4200 to get the max HP and torque out of that gear before shifting.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Screwing

Sounds like his dealer is trying to screw him out of few bucks for a transmission job. Sounds like you guys got it right with the rev limiter. I had thought of the clutch slipping at first until I read all the comments about the rev limiter. Sounds like somebody out to spend a few $$$ and get the tachometer.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Do all Victory models have rev limiters?
When they went to fuel injection or throttle body type fuel systems with a PC managed fuel metering. I think it is 45 degree Tilt angle kill on the electric fuel pump also. So if it is carburetored it does not have a rev limiter. Old motors they where called governors which sometime worked but you could still go over and float a valve into the piston. BOOM baby....
thumb up

·
13,177 Posts
Do all Victory models have rev limiters?
Yes all bikes have rev limiters to keep you from blowing them up.
Your suppose to shift before red line.
If you hit rev limiter it will shut bike off

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It is not the rev limiter..... yes reving that high is not nessary but occasionally it happens messing around, and a vic pro from the local victory shop rode it and said that is what is happing, and i have a tach, i can 100% tell the diffrence between what is happing and a rev limiter, this is somthing the bike just started doing.

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
It is not the rev limiter..... yes reving that high is not nessary but occasionally it happens messing around, and a vic pro from the local victory shop rode it and said that is what is happing, and i have a tach, i can 100% tell the diffrence between what is happing and a rev limiter, this is somthing the bike just started doing.
That's a strange one. I've heard and experienced transmissions popping out of gear, but never of popping out and then popping back in. Anyway, what did the vic pro suggest?

·
Registered
120 Posts
When they went to fuel injection or throttle body type fuel systems with a PC managed fuel metering. I think it is 45 degree Tilt angle kill on the electric fuel pump also. So if it is carburetored it does not have a rev limiter. Old motors they where called governors which sometime worked but you could still go over and float a valve into the piston. BOOM baby....
thumb up
Thats hilarious. If there were a carbeurated Victory I'd buy it. No such thing as a carbeurated Victory. New to the brand ? cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a strange one. I've heard and experienced transmissions popping out of gear, but never of popping out and then popping back in. Anyway, what did the vic pro suggest?
He say he has hurd of this happing to another persons vic and could be dangerous due to possable tire lock up. but the case has to be split to solve to problem.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes, you can have transmission problems on an 05-07 motor (I rebuilt 3 last year). Yes your tech is right, you'll need to split the cases. The cost will be in the thousands most likely.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts