6,371 Posts
Yep, they clunk, especially from N-1.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
OP, being new to the Vic's which I assume from the number of posts and also your question, it may be a good idea to take some time and go through some of the older threads in whatever model you ride. Also the Tech and Performance section. There are some pretty common mechanical and electrical things about these bikes that you should familiarize yourself with. Batteries, starters, noises, oil, sources for accessories, etc. Lots of things have already been hashed out and talked about here. Some ad nauseam.

In any case, ask away.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Preloading the shifter helps dramatically in not only reducing the clunk, but making shifting smoother. Use very little right wrist too when shifting.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
That won't help if he's using too much wrist and hammering the shifter.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
are the transmissions suppost to clunk when shifting?
Yep...they sure are.
Welcome to Victory.
Embrace the Clunk,
And the whirr
And the clatter
a mechanical symphony...

Can change with different helmets, fairings, riding style, boots, Heavy Metal, louder pipes, oil, the weather, the phase of the moon.
Lots of variables.
Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
If it stop's clunking..... Houston we've gotta problemo ???

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
it's my first victory and my harley dont clunck that loud
the 2016 Streetglide I rode over 500 miles in one day on recently had a very clunky gearbox, easily as clunky as a VIC.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I've heard Harleys that clunk louder, and some that don't clunk at all except when shifting into first.

My Vic ALWAYS clunks from N-1 LOUDLY, sometimes from 1-2, and almost never from 3 and up. I have almost 29,000 miles on, and I have gotten quite used to the way it shifts and have learned how to make nice, smooth shifts while riding. It's a far cry from my Goldwing which was a quiet little 'snick, snick' but I'm OK with it.

I've noticed that the higher you rev the engine, the less chance you have of clunking. If you're having trouble downshifting at a red light, try revving the engine slightly while shifting; it helps immensely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts