Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 CrossRoads...does the transmission ever get any less clunky ? quieter shifting ? Seems to shift OK...positive engage , finds neutral OK & all...just so damn noisy / clunky.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
To me , it exudes brute force and provides a confidence derived from American ingenuity . In other words , Bulletproof . ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't look at it as clunky, clunky to me means it is inconsistent with shifts, and has a "cheap" feel to it. The Victory transmission is no sportbike transmission, it's built to handle the torque of the V-twin. I like the firm clunk going into first gear. It shifts positively and, to me, works great. I have never missed a shift on my 04' KP. Can't say the same for the 06' Honda 600 F4i that I had previously.

·
Registered
102 Posts
same

I think my VTX 1300 was louder from first to second than my xc. I put a heel shifter on and find I shift faster and it not as bad.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
2012 CrossRoads...does the transmission ever get any less clunky ? quieter shifting ? Seems to shift OK...positive engage , finds neutral OK & all...just so damn noisy / clunky.
Thank Heaven it makes that firm and confident noise to make up for the pathetic sound coming from the factory pipes! My 50cc mini-bike sounded better than the 106. I just drove an Indian and that motor sounds like it should. Why can't the Vic 106 sound like that instead of a weed eater?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
My CR transmission is noisy just like most of the new Vic's I have ridden. My 05 Kingpin is actually quite a bit quieter. The trans on these bikes should be better IMHO. The new Indian I rode was smooth as butter and quiet. I would love if Victory adopted those two attributes.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
It takes 3,000 miles or more to complete a break in, so be patient. Preload the shift lever for quieter and smoother shifts. Works great for me.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I can't wait to get my new exhaust in. That way I don't have to hear the clunk of the transmission anymore!:ltr:
See my last post.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
XR is still noisey.

Got over 18K on my 2011 XR and it still is noisey. You can not be lasey going into second or it will pop out. Got to shift it firmly. Oh and yes if you preload the shifter before shifting it is a bit better and quieter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you do opt to preload, be aware that a heavy foot pressure will accelerate shift fork wear. Once the forks get slop you can expect it to pop out of gear. I think the Vics can take it better than most. In my experience, a fast well timed shift will do more for quiet shifting then a preload. A click instead of a clunk. That said, my 2004 TC shifted way better than my 2012 XC. The worse shifting bike I ever owned was an M109R, the best a Guzzi V11 Sport. The Cross Roads is second worse out of 20 machines.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
To me , it exudes brute force and provides a confidence derived from American ingenuity . In other words , Bulletproof . ;)
yeah like Fords 'Toploader' and GM's 'Muncie' 4 speed gearboxes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
...does the transmission ever get any less clunky ?
No......

I have well over four thousand on mine with about half that as city/nonhighway miles. Sounds the same on my 2013 Hard Ball

I do need to buy a heel shifter though. Maybe it will help. I like them either way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts