Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 2000 v92 which wasn’t running for a few years. Fuel pump wasn’t working and tank was full of rust. I fixed the pump, flushed the tank and cleaned the tank filters and pump filter. Cleaned the throttle body and installed new plugs. Started right up however banging noises from trany as I ran it thru the gears while it was on the lift. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If I remember rite, the V92 was know for a second gear issue. Atleast I think it was second. Check thru that side of the site, I'm sure someone there is more knowledgeable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is my first victory. Should have done more research before I bought the bike. It’s 3rd gear I believe. Looks like an engine swap might b the easiest and cheapest. Just need to research what engine is best to swap

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is my first victory. Should have done more research before I bought the bike. It’s 3rd gear I believe. Looks like an engine swap might b the easiest and cheapest. Just need to research what engine is best to swap
Your best bet for a swap is a 92 ci / 5 speed Freedom engine; it should go in without issue. An alternative would be to find an '03 to '06 (or so, I'm not exactly sure) 5-speed transmission & refit it to your engine; this involves some minor machining for clearance, but will work quite well.

In either case, you'll have more usable gearing; the original tranny has a "stump-puller" first gear - you'd be shifting to second halfway through an intersection. Another thing to consider is the belt & pulley setup - the early V92C bikes used a belt with trapezoidal teeth, while the Freedom engine uses a round-tooth belt - if you do the swap, you'll need a round-tooth rear pulley and belt.

The original V92C ("Hammer" engined) transmission problems varied with year; '99 had weak shift forks which were subject to bending when abused, later ones had issues with heat-treating of some of the gears, making them somewhat brittle (the "cush drive" cushioned rear pulley was meant to compensate for this).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Something weird! When I ran the bike thru the gears while it was on the bike jack it made loud clunking/banging noises. I thought it was toast BUT when I actually took it for a run it worked perfect although it does shift like a Mack truck. I only road it around the subdivision for 3 or 4 mins. No highway yet as not licensed or insured and temperature here in New Brunswick Canada is below freezing but I’m going to chance it. I’ve had several Harley’s but I really like this bike! Can’t wait for spring

·
Registered
'99 Victory V92C (756 / 1500)
1 Posts
My '99 is the same way. They're well known for the "hammer" sound when shifting through the gears. You have a 2000 so yes, 3rd gear would be your problematic gear, but if it shifts into and stays in 3rd fine, there's no real reason replace the motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts