Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , last week I pulled into my driveway and put my bike in neutral and as I put down my stand and shed my helmet I heard a strange clackety sound from the transmission ... I didn't think much of it and left it at that .

Fast forward to today and over 1000 miles of no clackety sounds this past week , when I arrived home after my 58 mile ride home from work today , clackety / clack only much worse then last week .

It sounds like the tranny is half way between neutral and wanting to shift to the next gear .... Its the only way to describe it . Its like a gear rotating and a piece of metal bouncing off it as it spins . It sounds like a serious issue to me ...

I checked the oil and its full , with 2000 miles on it . If anyone can help me or has had this same issue please chime in , its obviously intermittent and I fear a trip to the dealer will reveal a N.P.F.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
This is too weird...and I'm not joking. I started hearing some type of infrequent "clank" pretty much exactly as you described it on my ride today.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know whether to keep riding it until it blows up or what .... It doesn't sound good . It sounds like while idling in neutral it wants to drop into first and blast off the kickstand ..... No other way to describe it .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds like your torque compensator.

Go to utube and search victory torque compensator and or clutch issues.

Also search this forum

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
My bike does this while really hot from time to time... If it's the torque compensator I am yanking my motor and doing a 116".

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
That sucks Mags. I never even got the compensator fix on my '11, since i understood it was just to quiet the racket. no funky noises after 24k besides the ones it had when it came home. I feel for ya brother. Tell those gimps at the dealer to ride it till it makes some noise.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will this noise cause damage or is it just an irritating clank . Im not sure I want a pimple face 16 year old splitting my motor in two . Maybe it will go away . (Being extemely optimistic) Thanks for the kind words @Luciferiad .

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Subscribed and in anticipation for any finding .. don't blow it up guys ??

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

Reactions: broggyr

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am confident it IS the Torque Compensator making the noise . I will call the dealer tomorrow and tell them , and see what they say . On my way to my Moms now so I wont be riding for a day or two .

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Will this noise cause damage or is it just an irritating clank . Im not sure I want a pimple face 16 year old splitting my motor in two . Maybe it will go away . (Being extemely optimistic) Thanks for the kind words @Luciferiad .
No case splitting involved in getting to the torque compensator.

Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
can you find a 16-year-old spinning wrenches anymore? When i was running a tire shop, the young guys who applied started to look nervous when i told them they were gonna get dirty.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can you find a 16-year-old spinning wrenches anymore? When i was running a tire shop, the young guys who applied started to look nervous when i told them they were gonna get dirty.
Yes , right at the Ford dealer I work at .... They suck too . :grin

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its weird , I thought I heard something last week , then nothing until last night . I did hard riding in hot weather all week , I was on vacation . Strange how the sound never made a peep until yesterday again .... Guess I will bury my head in the manual so I can fully understand the theory and engineering behind this ....

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Its weird , I thought I heard something last week , then nothing until last night . I did hard riding in hot weather all week , I was on vacation . Strange how the sound never made a peep until yesterday again .... Guess I will bury my head in the manual so I can fully understand the theory and engineering behind this ....

Ride it till it breaks.... Then they have to warranty it. Or better yet trade it in for a Magnum!

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
I too bet it's the torque compensator which is accessible by pulling the primary cover.

In the big picture it's an easy job to fix. Having said all that; intermittent problems are always the hardest to diagnose; especially electrical ones.

I'd just keep an eye/ear on it and ride normally until it presents consistently.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After going to the manual and then to the parts list , Im trying to figure out how this is causing my particular noise ..... Mine sounds like a shift fork type of issue , like im stuck between gears and needs to be nudged to go in ..... Like the shift fork is bouncing off a sychronizer .... I was hoping to fix it before it blows , but at least if it becomes more apparent they will hear it and I wont be wasting my time ...

Reactions: SALTY

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
just thought of this. might be a dumb idea, cuz i'm sore as hell from wrenching yesterday and popped a couple oxy. but did you check the motor mounts? some years back my wife had a cavalier that clunked whenever you throttled it. turned out the bushing in the torque strut mount was shot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
After going to the manual and then to the parts list , Im trying to figure out how this is causing my particular noise ..... Mine sounds like a shift fork type of issue , like im stuck between gears and needs to be nudged to go in ..... Like the shift fork is bouncing off a sychronizer .... I was hoping to fix it before it blows , but at least if it becomes more apparent they will hear it and I wont be wasting my time ...

Exactly,,,, what mine was doing! Only occasionally then more and more often, like it was getting stuck between gears is bang on!

Get it taken care of as you may be waiting parts for a bit
Change your shift ratchet while your in there.

I bet the big nut isn't at 125 ft lbs if torque, mine was way less than 80

·
Registered
152 Posts
Took a year for mine to get bad enough

If the nut has lost its torque, it's the sound and warranty should cover it
I could make mine, make the noise by low,speed letting clutch out...it would rattle like something wasn't engaging.....

1 - 20 of 393 Posts