Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
4 th gear is gone.....Today I was on a benefit ride with 200 other bikes , just cruising along in fourth gear and the bike revs up like it popped out of gear . Now I got no fourth gear . No noise , no warning , just changed the oil last week . This one is going to hurt.... $$$$ ... Has anyone had this happen ? I searched but couldn't anything . 2005 hammer with 12,000 miles .

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who let the dogs out ...whoo whoo.

I got to split the motor to get at the dogs out right ? So I'm emailing Lloydz about a engine kit and tranny. Do you think they would fix the tranny for me while they were inside ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2005 ,,,12,000 plus miles ,,,Newer ???? 100,000 warranty ??....I'm all ears .

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engagement Dogs

In the service manual , page 10-8 , under transmission installation , exploded view of the main shaft , part item # 5a - 4th gear 27T has dog ears that engage into part item #5 - 3rd gear 30T that is slotted , like my bike USE to have . Thanks Kevin . that sounds like that may be the problem .

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The newly designed 2011 and up transmission is advertised as a 100K transmission but it does not have a 100K warranty.

Best of luck, I hope your repairs aren't too costly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ammo... On the 100 k warranty , I didn't think so . I did find a thread on here for a guy that had a similar problem way back in 2009 . I love my bike and everything about it . This is the first thing thats ever happened to it . I don't beat on the bike or drag race anyone [ but I would if they wanted to ] . I'm disappointed that the bike will be down , and I won't be riding for a while , but I'm hoping to taking this opportunity and do some performance modifications to the motor . I'm trying to figure out what mods I should do . Anybody ??? What would you do ? Bore , Stroke ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Magnet

I sent a magnet down through the dip stick hole 4 or 5 times and swiped the bottom of the base and it produced NO metal filings or pieces . I thought if the engagement dogs were rounded off there would be something in the bottom of the base ,,,, strange .

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Before you go busting into it you might want to try replacing the shifting ratchet. If you replace the trans you'll want a new one anyway, right?

When I had Lloyd build my engine I also had most of the transmission replaced as well, so yes, they will do it.

I agree that the best way to go for performance is the stock stroke and a big bore. This will make for an oversquare engine with a higher rod ratio.

105.5mm bore, .495 cams/springs/retainers, bowl blend/big valves/multi-angle valve job, 50mm tapered bore throttle bodies, Rev extend, Bassani short 2-1, Torque Tubes, PC-III....... and have Kyle put the final tine on it. Easily 135 HP... possibly 140.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dog Ears

Looks like we found the problem . Dog ears missing off the side of 2/3rd gear cluster , that drives 4th gear .

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stroked

Now that the transmission SUCKS , I have sent the bike to Pine BUSH I,m getting the motor STROKED [ 106 ] with Cams , Variable Clutch , TTubes , PC , Tuned . Plus some of Lloyds magic work . I can't wait .

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
One thing I wish Vic would have done, was kept the tranny separate like the HD, for easier repairs.
Yeah, but the things are supposed to be good for 100k miles. Even this seems kinda short considering Hondas frequently run into the 300k range without issues.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Now that the transmission SUCKS , I have sent the bike to Pine BUSH I,m getting the motor STROKED [ 106 ] with Cams , Variable Clutch , TTubes , PC , Tuned . Plus some of Lloyds magic work . I can't wait .
Why did you decide to stroke it and not bore it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts