Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its amazing how things workout sometimes. Seems like forever my wife and I have talked about and planned to sometime tour Nova Scotia on the bike. Last year we set that trip to happen this month. To make a long story short, years ago my wife had a bad car accident that ultimately ended with a cervical fusion and then got re-injured when a horse threw her due to an inexperienced handler. From this she's physically limited and I've noticed she's has been slowly curtailing her riding time, but she insisted on doing this NS tour, even though, for months I've been coming up with alternative vaca's and giving her every opportunity to not do such a long ride.... Well in true wife style :rolleyes: she comes to me in tears and says she can't handle all riding of the Nova Scotia trip....a week before we're do to leave... WTF!? :mad: I restrained myself from blowing my top and we worked it out...like this.

As it turned out a few days before this I had picked up a Wheeldock from @wspollack . When I was there Bill mentioned the transport capabilities of the chock(I half listened because I thought I'd never use it for that purpose)...Haha the joke was on me....in the "I can't go to Nova Scotia" conversation with my wife it popped into my head that I could use the Wheeldock in my pickup and transport the bike to NS, that would save her the ride there and back and we'd have backup transportation should there be any issues. She loved the idea and as we tossed it around we realized some other benefits of transporting the bike, we can each take full luggage(no underwear washing stops..lol) and my wife's "neck pillows", we can still get out even if there's storms and if the bike has a break down we're not totally screwed.

I did need a load ramp, did a little research and found good reviews on the Titan 40" wide, 1500 lbs capacity ramps and it would arrive in time for the trip. So I ordered one.
I was always about riding to my destinations and never gave much thought to transporting but if this works out it might open a whole new touring world for me or at least where and how much my wife goes :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is awesome that you are able to make it still work. I have considered similar scenarios as well. Camping with the bike is getting to be a bit too uncomfortable due to old injuries and just old age. We were thinking of getting a small toy hauler/RV camper thing. The only problem I have been challenged with is the steepness of the ramps that are on these things for getting the bike up and then (rolling backwards) down the damn things. They are fine for a 4 wheeler, or a dirt bike, but an 800+ pound bike is a bit daunting. Putting the bike in the bed of my silverado would be a great idea as well, but again, I am not comfortable with the idea of riding/rolling the bike backwards down the ramps.
My question to you is have you tried this and if so, how did that work out?
Also looking forward to hearing about the Nova Scotia trip....a place I have always wanted to visit on a bike.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I was once gonna travel Australia by bus, I bought an old horse float to carry my bike behind the Toyota Coaster.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Its amazing how things workout sometimes. Seems like forever my wife and I have talked about and planned to sometime tour Nova Scotia on the bike. Last year we set that trip to happen this month. To make a long story short, years ago my wife had a bad car accident that ultimately ended with a cervical fusion and then got re-injured when a horse threw her due to an inexperienced handler. From this she's physically limited and I've noticed she's has been slowly curtailing her riding time, but she insisted on doing this NS tour, even though, for months I've been coming up with alternative vaca's and giving her every opportunity to not do such a long ride.... Well in true wife style :rolleyes: she comes to me in tears and says she can't handle all riding of the Nova Scotia trip....a week before we're do to leave... WTF!? :mad: I restrained myself from blowing my top and we worked it out...like this.

As it turned out a few days before this I had picked up a Wheeldock from @wspollack . When I was there Bill mentioned the transport capabilities of the chock(I half listened because I thought I'd never use it for that purpose)...Haha the joke was on me....in the "I can't go to Nova Scotia" conversation with my wife it popped into my head that I could use the Wheeldock in my pickup and transport the bike to NS, that would save her the ride there and back and we'd have backup transportation should there be any issues. She loved the idea and as we tossed it around we realized some other benefits of transporting the bike, we can each take full luggage(no underwear washing stops..lol) and my wife's "neck pillows", we can still get out even if there's storms and if the bike has a break down we're not totally screwed.

I did need a load ramp, did a little research and found good reviews on the Titan 40" wide, 1500 lbs capacity ramps and it would arrive in time for the trip. So I ordered one.
I was always about riding to my destinations and never gave much thought to transporting but if this works out it might open a whole new touring world for me or at least where and how much my wife goes :)
My wife struggles mightily to mount/dismount the XC because of left knee problems (she's nearly due for a total knee replacement at 35 years old.)
Both of us want to ride out west some day, and hauling the bike sounds like the most viable solution. My wife understands your wife's frustration. And I understand yours.

BUT! It sounds like it's all worked out for you two, so have fun and be safe!:grin

·
12,983 Posts
put a board under the ramp where it meets the pavement. So you don't catch the regulator. That way you shouldn't bottom out getting over the hump.
Hope you and wife have a great trip

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Glad you are figuring out a way to make the trip work! Sometimes it's difficult but you can't let life beat you!

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I have no advice, just subscribed, solutions are everywhere, anything that makes the 2 of you happy..... Ride safe from Indonesia.....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
- The bike going to fit in the short bed?

- How you going to mount the WheelDock: drill holes in the bed, put some plywood down, or what?

- You look at WheelDock's front-wheel straps and other stuff ( https://wheeldock.com/collections/main )?

- Try to park by a lawn or driveway, etc., with a steep slope at the end, for a more level ramp experience. (I had a trailer for a year, about 20 years ago, and that helped a lot.)

- Hey, @JPokerwinski, any words of wisdom for @PaiN?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have purchased a few things for my Kubota Tractor from Titan . Great company , top quality items and super fast , free shipping .

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
I know these are pricey options but they're certainly; options. Especially for the timid about rolling backwards off the ramp with such a big and heavy motorcycle. Being at home with help around in comfortable situation to load and unload a motorcycle is one thing. But being far away from home with just the one or two of you, these options make a lot of sense.

Cruiser Ramp Pickup Loader

Rampage Power Lift Motorized Motorcycle Power Lift Ramp for pick up trucks trailers Rampage Lifts

I'm also looking forward to reading about your trip!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My question to you is have you tried this and if so, how did that work out?
Also looking forward to hearing about the Nova Scotia trip....a place I have always wanted to visit on a bike.
I won't have the ramp until the end of the week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the loading and unloading but I'm not excepting any issues.
I will be posting about the NS tour once I'm back.

- The bike going to fit in the short bed?

- How you going to mount the WheelDock: drill holes in the bed, put some plywood down, or what?

- You look at WheelDock's front-wheel straps and other stuff ( https://wheeldock.com/collections/main )?

- Try to park by a lawn or driveway, etc., with a steep slope at the end, for a more level ramp experience. (I had a trailer for a year, about 20 years ago, and that helped a lot.)
I measured and the bike will fit easily. I'm not "mounting" the Wheeldock, going to strap over the front wheel to hold the bike(like you mentioned to me) then use tie-downs from the wheeldock and passenger pegs to the bed mounts. I'll also have to break down the ramp and use tie-downs to secure it for the trip(I've seen a few methods for this). No hill available for loading....I'm thinking of the whole load\unload thing as an adventure....We're staying in two hotels over the week, so I have to do it several times, I should be pretty good at it by the time we get back or my bike is going to be real F-ed up.... lol :crying

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
@PaiN , I dont want to see you on a "Epic FAIL" Youtube video laying under your bike because you tried to wheelie your bike up the ramp into your truck wearing only your skivvies and flip flops .:ltr:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts

Yes as @wspollack mentioned i do have one of these wheeldock. I also have the quick release adapter for the wheeldock. That way i can switch the wheeldock between my trailer, lift and garage floor with ease. On the trailer, i ride it up the ramp, into the wheeldock, release the wheel clamp, get off the bike, tie it down. With no help. I do the same thing on my lift. But on my lift i extended the length of the ramp to reduce the angle of approach on the lift so i "walk" the bike up.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@PaiN , I dont want to see you on a "Epic FAIL" Youtube video laying under your bike because you tried to wheelie your bike up the ramp into your truck wearing only your skivvies and flip flops .:ltr:
..I don't believe you :| I think you'd pay money to see that :p

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts

My question is how high is your truck bed? With those 8 foot ramps I would be concerned about riding it up. The angle of approach MAY be steep and you will get to a spot where your feet wont touch the ramp ( just after the front wheel makes contact with the bed of the truck). I have a spot like that on my trailer, but it it short and not a concern.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My question is how high is your truck bed? With those 8 foot ramps I would be concerned about riding it up. The angle of approach MAY be steep and you will get to a spot where your feet wont touch the ramp ( just after the front wheel makes contact with the bed of the truck). I have a spot like that on my trailer, but it it short and not a concern.
A couple of months ago I traded in my full-size Sierra for a mid-size Canyon which has a much lower bed height, the 8' ramp will work fine, plus its "arched" to prevent any low parts of the bike from hanging up when loading.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to mags MAGS ...I just had to watch wac

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
talk about some stupid moves. that guy that had the wide ramp. what the hell did he hit ?
I know, that should have been the perfect setup yet something stopped him dead in his tracks. I watched several times and it looks like there was an articulated flap at the front of that ramp that came apart as his front wheel hit it, causing the abrupt stop. Just when I thought he was home free..... Yes PaiN we do not want to see you in one of those clips. Apparently, the only way to be 100% safe is to not allow anyone to have a camera while it's happening. :)

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I always tried to load the bike in backwards if I had the chance, my 2004 short bed silverado was perfect size for just about any bike I put in it.

Loading in backwards might take a little more effort to load it but should pay off when you go to unload it.

Are you going to us just straight tie downs or do you have any type of canyon dancer or type like that?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts