Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who was it that had wrapped the baffles on a set of tri oval pipes and was it good or bad .

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
From everything I've read online it seems cutting the baffles down to 3" is the way to go. I've not seen a picture of it but the basic deal is to remove the entire baffle, cut off the baffle 3" up from the Y connection and reinstall. Even KevinX says they perform well on the dyno that way. Though I've not heard a decent sound clip with that modification.

I bought a new set of all chrome Tri Ovals when Leader's was blowing them out. They're still in the box on a shelf in the garage. I get a lot of compliments on my Ragin Cajun Medium Low & Throaty so I've not been motivated to cut up a brand new set of mufflers.

I had Tri Ovals on my CCT from 0 to about 45K miles and, to me, they kept sounding better as the miles rolled up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess a good question would be does anybody have a set of stock trioval baffles that are not cut for sale. so if i wouldnt like the sound i could put mine back in.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
i guess a good question would be does anybody have a set of stock trioval baffles that are not cut for sale. so if i wouldnt like the sound i could put mine back in.
Dont throw the offcut away and you can weld it back together if you dont like it.
Playing with mufflers baffles and sound is a very personal thing.
Some would love the sound of my bike and others would hate it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wouldnt it be hard to get the pipe to realign on the inside. i get peeved bad if things dont go right.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
wouldnt it be hard to get the pipe to realign on the inside. i get peeved bad if things dont go right.
Guessed as much by your name :devil
Not knowing the internals youre working with I dont really know but imagine most baffles run in a straight line

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
The sound from any exhaust depends on the engine setup and the listener's ear. My XC is pretty opened up with Lloydz Cams, hi-flow AF and deleted cats. I also agree with @Chattanooga Mark, the Tri-Ovals have been sounding better and better over the years.
If you want to here mine running you can skip to 1:44 of this vid. There's also a sound clip at the end of the "Vicwrapz" vid but its kind of obnoxious due to where the camera is placed.

·
12,984 Posts
Like I always say you can't hear the true sound of your bike going down the road. Stand on the side of the road and have a buddy ride your bike pass you a few time to really hear it.

It would be very easy to weld the baffle back on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts