Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 7 weeks since picking it up brand new with 3 miles, I just crossed the 3,000 mile mark on my XR. The last few hundred miles I noticed that the engine smoothed out and quieted down a lot. I also noticed that the stock exhaust REALLY quieted down. I could barely hear it over wind noise when at cruising speed. Under load, it sounded nice, but just didn't have the "bark" you would expect from a large v-twin.

Well, I was gonna wait until next year, but since Victory is offering $250 off, I decided to pull the trigger early on the Tri-Oval Stage 1 kit. It includes Tri-Oval pipes, Victory performance air filter, and EFI recalibration.

stage1.jpg

While putting together my wish list for future enhancements, I went to the Victory site to get some MSRP prices to compare for on-line shopping. Lo and behold, Ma Vic put a $250 off banner in front of me! I thought to myself, "Self, why wait? The price is right, right now!" So, I printed out the coupon and set up an appointment with the most reputable local dealer in my area. They had the kit in stock and could get me in 2 days later, which happened to be today. I rode in when the shop opened, and after 90 minutes of impatient waiting, I was back on the road.

I knew the performance gains would be, ummm, modest at best. I was told 6, maybe 8 hp and the same for torque. That does get her up to 90-ish hp and 100-ish ft-lb at the rear wheel. Which, coming off a Vulcan 900, still feels like plenty of power. And seeing as this bike is only 7 weeks old, I didn't want to go with after-market cams, timing wheel, fuel controller and dyno tune (yet) and risk the remaining 97 weeks of the service contract. Ok, that's enough justification for my decision.

First, I think the pipes are beautiful. I elected to go with the full chrome. They compliment the bike quite well. Fit and finish are fantastic. I can't speak as to the air filter 'cause it's hidden under the tank. ;)

Second, the sound. On first start-up, I could feel a ****-eating grin pull across my face. As I pulled out of the dealer and jumped on it, I finally heard a satisfying bark! That being said, for the first 25-30 miles while at cruising speed, I thought I may have made a mistake. It actually seemed annoyingly too loud! I couldn't understand how some others on this forum could describe these pipes as "not much louder than stock when cruising." But, after the 30 mile mark and several hard take-offs, the pipes seemed to settle in, quiet down, and rumble nicely at cruising speed. Definitely louder than stock, but not bad at all. Just a beautiful low rumble. (I have a feeling they will settle down even more with time and miles.) Under load...wow. An exquisite, attention getting, low grumbling bark. That's how 106ci SHOULD sound. Very satisfying to my ears and exactly what I wanted.

Third, and I think this is the underrated portion, is the EFI recalibration. I know some will argue that this is the most useless part of the kit, but I will beg to differ. Throttle response is much better and power is delivered much more smoothly though the entire RPM range. The biggest bonus is in the 2000-2500 RPM range - the engine actually seems happy there. The uncomfortable lugging is all but gone. Mind you, the real happy zone is still above 3600, and that seems to be smoother too.

All in all, if you don't want to go balls-out with after-market mods, and just take full advantage of the OEM set-up, this kit should make you happy. I know I am.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
After 7 weeks since picking it up brand new with 3 miles, I just crossed the 3,000 mile mark on my XR. The last few hundred miles I noticed that the engine smoothed out and quieted down a lot. I also noticed that the stock exhaust REALLY quieted down. I could barely hear it over wind noise when at cruising speed. Under load, it sounded nice, but just didn't have the "bark" you would expect from a large v-twin.

Well, I was gonna wait until next year, but since Victory is offering $250 off, I decided to pull the trigger early on the Tri-Oval Stage 1 kit. It includes Tri-Oval pipes, Victory performance air filter, and EFI recalibration.

View attachment 83257

While putting together my wish list for future enhancements, I went to the Victory site to get some MSRP prices to compare for on-line shopping. Lo and behold, Ma Vic put a $250 off banner in front of me! I thought to myself, "Self, why wait? The price is right, right now!" So, I printed out the coupon and set up an appointment with the most reputable local dealer in my area. They had the kit in stock and could get me in 2 days later, which happened to be today. I rode in when the shop opened, and after 90 minutes of impatient waiting, I was back on the road.

I knew the performance gains would be, ummm, modest at best. I was told 6, maybe 8 hp and the same for torque. That does get her up to 90-ish hp and 100-ish ft-lb at the rear wheel. Which, coming off a Vulcan 900, still feels like plenty of power. And seeing as this bike is only 7 weeks old, I didn't want to go with after-market cams, timing wheel, fuel controller and dyno tune (yet) and risk the remaining 93 weeks of the service contract. Ok, that's enough justification for my decision.

First, I think the pipes are beautiful. I elected to go with the full chrome. They compliment the bike quite well. Fit and finish are fantastic. I can't speak as to the air filter 'cause it's hidden under the tank. ;)

Second, the sound. On first start-up, I could feel a ****-eating grin pull across my face. As I pulled out of the dealer and jumped on it, I finally heard a satisfying bark! That being said, for the first 25-30 miles while at cruising speed, I thought I may have made a mistake. It actually seemed annoyingly too loud! I couldn't understand how some others on this forum could describe these pipes as "not much louder than stock when cruising." But, after the 30 mile mark and several hard take-offs, the pipes seemed to settle in, quiet down, and rumble nicely at cruising speed. Definitely louder than stock, but not bad at all. Just a beautiful low rumble. (I have a feeling they will settle down even more with time and miles.) Under load...wow. An exquisite, attention getting, low grumbling bark. That's how 106ci SHOULD sound. Very satisfying to my ears and exactly what I wanted.

Third, and I think this is the underrated portion, is the EFI recalibration. I know some will argue that this is the most useless part of the kit, but I will beg to differ. Throttle response is much better and power is delivered much more smoothly though the entire RPM range. The biggest bonus is in the 2000-2500 RPM range - the engine actually seems happy there. The uncomfortable lugging is all but gone. Mind you, the real happy zone is still above 3600, and that seems to be smoother too.

All in all, if you don't want to go balls-out with after-market mods, and just take full advantage of the OEM set-up, this kit should make you happy. I know I am.
Yup.

I would only quibble with one part of your post. Stage 1 increases power throughout the rev range EXCEPT at the top end where it doesn't make any more peak HP than stock. But since it makes more power EVERYWHERE else through the range it makes considerably more power than stock where we actually ride, runs clean, and sounds nice without being obnoxious.

Here's a stock vs Stage 1 graph for an X bike.

I think Lloyd's stuff is wonderful, but like you, I also find Vic's stuff to be a useful and practical option too.

·
Registered
426 Posts
until your ears start bleeding, there is no such thing as too loud ;) glad you're enjoying your ride. i love the way those triovals look, but they are still too quiet for me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
<--------his bike sounds obnoxious, just the way he likes it :p

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I love the sound of my Tri-Ovals. Got just over 7,000 on them and agree with you that they settle in a bit over time. To each their own, but for me, they were a great addition to my XC. Enjoy your new pipes! Ride Safe!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
The timing of the $250 off worked out well! They look great. thumb up

I had D&D's on my XC and I really liked the sound but, my passenger was not a big fan of the loud rumble or the hwy drone. I loath the stock sound so after riding a lot of stage 1/tri-oval demo bikes, I knew what I was going with when I purchased my XCT.

It's all good now! :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup.

I would only quibble with one part of your post. Stage 1 increases power throughout the rev range EXCEPT at the top end where it doesn't make any more peak HP than stock. But since it makes more power EVERYWHERE else through the range it makes considerably more power than stock where we actually ride, runs clean, and sounds nice without being obnoxious.
*DISCLAIMER:
Without having actually dyno'd my bike before and after, I can only use hear-say numbers for my estimates. Victory advertises the 2013 Cross Roads as 106 ft-lbs. I presume that to be at the flywheel. Stock rear-wheel numbers I've heard are around 93-96 ft-lbs and 82-84 hp. I added my mechanic's estimated 6hp and 6 ft-lbs to those numbers as my estimates. At what RPMs I cannot say, so those may be inaccurate as peak numbers. I have also heard that the tri-oval stage 1 produces (slightly) better performance than the 2012 and previous version of stage 1.
Again, without having actual dyno charts to display, the numbers I have are purely anecdotal.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Congratulations JohnnyPlano! Randy's installed the Tri Ovals the day I bought my CCT last May. After 17,500 miles I really love their fit, form, finish and sound.

I ride too much to put up with a loud for the sake of being loud exhaust system. IMHO, the Tri Ovals are a perfect balance of exactly what I wanted and still greatly enjoy.

One suggestion though, have Randy's install the Lloyds timing gear asap. No reason to wait except for the money part. The Lloyds timing wheel is the absolute best performance per dollar mod you can gat.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the tri-ovals as well and like them. My neighbors especially like them as i leave for work at 530am daily..lol. For me they are perfect, quiet when i need them to be and loud enough when want them to be. When i had Kyle do the cams, pcv and dyno...i could've ended up with more hp with different pipes...very happy where i am! cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
My bike came with the Stage 1 exhaust so I had no comparison for power differences, etc. but I do LOVE the sound of them. They give a very nice deep rumble and I love when you hit the throttle, besides the bike pushing you back in the seat it also gives the sweetest sound.

I don't like the obnoxious HD sound which can be too loud at times but these pipes give the perfect blend of loudness, rumble, and performance.

When I was considering a Victory I had talked to a guy who had a XCT and asked him what options I should consider. He first suggested the Stage 1 exhaust. Would I have added it at some date? Probably, but lucky for me I purchased a bike which was owned by a Polaris Regional Manager and he had the whole bike decked out in chrome options and the Stage 1 exhaust.

LOVE it.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Had mine installed last week, and finally got to get it out yesterday for a 230 mile run, there's defiantly a drivability improvement , especially on the low end, obviously nothing like cams and all that, but someone who wants to keep it simple its a nice package, lately there's been a few good deals out there on the S1 upgrade, just my thoughts....:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
So the original price is $1,000... $750 after the discount. That certainly peaks my interest...

However, how much do they charge for the installation? Or does that price include installation? What if you do the install yourself and just have the dealer do the re-mapping?

Just trying to convince myself to pull the trigger... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
$1000 gets you the pipes, air filter and flash card. I installed them myself....ok , a buddy helped me:cool: took it back to the dealer for the flashing and I was charged $44

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
So the original price is $1,000... $750 after the discount. That certainly peaks my interest...

However, how much do they charge for the installation? Or does that price include installation? What if you do the install yourself and just have the dealer do the re-mapping?

Just trying to convince myself to pull the trigger... :rolleyes:
Was at the dealer yesterday, walked by a sign 250 off the package the parts guy said it doesn't include labor, that's 2.5 hours, so basically its still 1000.00 out the door, I got mine a little cheaper as part of the purchase deal, very happy with the set up....:pepper:dance 1:pepper:

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Iv seen the same package on the net for 825 and up, I guess it all depends on what a person wants to do, don't know how much my dealer charges to install just the flash tho...:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks Weeds and Angmoe

I have no problem doing the air filter and pipes install. $44 for the flash is fair enough...

These are slip-ons and not a full system, right?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Thanks Weeds and Angmoe

I have no problem doing the air filter and pipes install. $44 for the flash is fair enough...

These are slip-ons and not a full system, right?
That's correct....thumb up

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I had the dealer do mine, due to time restraints, :eek: but I did check all the bolts and clamps,no problems..:)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
+1 on the Tri Ovals.. I've been pleased with them. While I did the Lloydz filter when I did my cams, timing wheel and tune, I need to sell off the Tri Oval flash card and filter.. I can tell you having seen my dyno (after cams), the Tri Ovals have an awesomely flat torque curve. They actually perform pretty well.

I've got maybe 500 or so miles on mine so far, so I guess they do "settle in" a bit, though I'm not sure what that means. The cams, filter, timing wheel and PCV tune did certainly opened them up a bit. The tone is deeper with more authority. That said though for a simple stage 1 flash, filter and exhaust, they're a great product.

+1 on doing the Adjustable Timing Wheel on your stage 1 bike. If you're good with a wrench, it's a pretty straight forward simple install you can do in garage in about an hour or so. Set at the typical default first setting of +4, it's a nice nice thing.

Question for you tri oval guys... If leaned far enough in the twisties, do the floorboards scrape first, or the pipes?

Was just curious after riding the Snake over the weekend. I never touched down, but was keeping an ear out for that distinctive sound.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts