Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tri-Ovals downgrade for Stage 1 L1?

After a few miles on the new Tri-Ovals, I am not liking the noise.
It seems worse with a full face helmet, and a bit more tolerable with the face shield open. Seems to resonate off the bags or trunk and sneak in under my helmet. I even wear earplugs. At steady cruise it's not too loud at all.

I may have to downgrade to S1L1. Has anyone else done that, or is it better just to go back to stock? Do I need to flash the stock map?

Just weighing options at this point.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the Tri Ovals and like them. I wanted a deeper and louder tone than the stock sewing machine sound but not crazy loud. For me these hit the mark. I don't drive with a helmet though.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I had stock..... Then upgraded to the Stage 1 map, filter and pipes. Changed those pipes for the tri- ovals and got another flash. The first stage 1 pipes were a bit more aggressive than stock, but still not what I wanted. Kinda like stock with a mini growl. Soooooooo, got the tri-ovals and absolutely love them. Not sure why you don't like them, but everyone's ear is different and I get that. Hope this helps. PS.... I wear a modular helmet and most times with ear plugs.

·
Registered
511 Posts
After a few miles on the new Tri-Ovals, I am not liking the noise.
It seems worse with a full face helmet, and a bit more tolerable with the face shield open. Seems to resonate off the bags or trunk and sneak in under my helmet. I even wear earplugs. At steady cruise it's not too loud at all.

I may have to downgrade to S1L1. Has anyone else done that, or is it better just to go back to stock? Do I need to flash the stock map?

Just weighing options at this point.
I have the tri-ovals and get no resonation at all with my full face helmet. If I go under an overpass you can get some resonation but out in the open nothing. I do not use ear plugs either. My Helmet is an Arai RX-Q.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got the tri-ovals because I wanted more sound than stock until I got her broke in and that way I could take my time to figure out what I wanted for the long term. But I gotta say, they are ballsier when I twist it than I thought they'd be and not unpleasant at cruise (I wear a modular cuz I don't use a windshield). I don't see a change until I do some performance mods and that's going to be awhile.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jimboni - I've had the same experience as you. I test rode a CC with Tri-Ovals and really liked the sound compared to stock. So, I had Tri-Ovals installed on my 2013 CCT before I took delivery last September. (I also wear a full face helmet.)

After a few weeks and 1,000 miles, I was noticing the same things you have pointed out. Resonance that seems to bounce off the hard bags like they are a pair of bass drums. Even louder going under an overpass. Around town, it's not really a problem but at highway speeds it's uncomfortable without ear plugs. It's just my opinion, but wearing ear plugs on a long trip when I own a bike with a nicely decked out sound system, doesn't seem to make much sense.

As I approach retirement and hope to hit the open road more often, I'm seriously considering backing off to S1L1. I really like the look of the Tri-Ovals and hate to do it, but I guess I should choose comfort over sounding impressive.

I may as well ask this while I'm here: Is the re-mapping for Tri-Ovals the same as S1L1, or will I have to re-map again if I make the switch?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jimboni - I've had the same experience as you. I test rode a CC with Tri-Ovals and really liked the sound compared to stock. So, I had Tri-Ovals installed on my 2013 CCT before I took delivery last September. (I also wear a full face helmet.)

After a few weeks and 1,000 miles, I was noticing the same things you have pointed out. Resonance that seems to bounce off the hard bags like they are a pair of bass drums. Even louder going under an overpass. Around town, it's not really a problem but at highway speeds it's uncomfortable without ear plugs. It's just my opinion, but wearing ear plugs on a long trip when I own a bike with a nicely decked out sound system, doesn't seem to make much sense.

As I approach retirement and hope to hit the open road more often, I'm seriously considering backing off to S1L1. I really like the look of the Tri-Ovals and hate to do it, but I guess I should choose comfort over sounding impressive.

I may as well ask this while I'm here: Is the re-mapping for Tri-Ovals the same as S1L1, or will I have to re-map again if I make the switch?

Thanks!
If you like the sound of the pipes for most of your riding you might try bluetooth in your helmet while riding on the highway. Just a suggestion. I just ordered mine getting them installed this week, guess I'll see when I get back home how they sound.

·
Registered
636 Posts

Thanks!
I use ear plugs with the modular helmet. I find the plugs get rid of the wind noise and allow me to hear the radio more clearly than without plugs......

·
Registered
130 Posts
The resonance must occur at very specific frequencies. That is, certain frequencies oscilating at a greater amplitude and I'm thinking some very minor, subtle differences in the tolerances and fitments of the pipes, bags, etc., may account for it since it doesn't happen to everyone. If that's the case, there may be a way to adjust things to get rid of it.

I have no resonance thru the bags or helmet, but......I drove it to the office the other day and parked in back, left it running. When I walked in, EVERY window on the backside was rattling the exact same way it does when the Hueys fly over. And being here at Mother Rucker, home of Army aviation, that's so often you almost don't notice it after awhile. I guess those blades must spin around 950 to1050 rpm, right about where my idle is. So I guess I DO have a resonance issue, just not on the road where it counts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
All good suggestions guys. Thanks for contributing! (By the way Pckrfan, I am also a die-hard Packer Fan, born and raised in cheese country!)

I'll take a shot at ear plugs and see if I can still hear the music. I'll also consider getting a helmet sound system.

If any of you have ideas for relatively easy mods to tone down the resonance, I'd appreciate those as well. I bet pillows duct taped to the pipes would work but I'd rather not look like the Olympic torch going down the road!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To close out the thread, I sold the tri ovals and tried the level 1 mufflers. No better than the ovals so went back to stock. Interestingly enough, I have noticeably more torque than either stage 1 pipe option gave me.

I think the TRUE stage 1 set up should be timing wheel, air filter, and pull the rubber air box trim. Really good performance.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
This is interesting. Had Tri ovals on my voyager1700 / hard bags. Similar noises as mentioned here. Wasn't going to put them on my Vic. I felt I lost power with them too and never really liked the sound.

Wrapped D&D's and no resonance. Just a nice deep mellow tone and a roar when you open it up. I wonder if they make a wrap for the Tri-Ovals. A steel core baffle in a steel tube that morphs into a Y pipe is not an optimal design IMO. Just a noise maker that looks cool is all that Cobra created with the Tri's. I would of experimented a little more before I gave them up though. Pretty sure there was a significant loss in switching thru pipes.

Maybe some type of a reflective heat shield under the bags to help reflect noise as well. Or maybe a wrap for the baffles?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jimboni,

Did you find that the original Stage 1 mufflers were too loud too? We're they any quieter than the tri-ovals?

Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jimboni,

Did you find that the original Stage 1 mufflers were too loud too? We're they any quieter than the tri-ovals?

Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
In my opinion, they were about the same. Keep in mind, I DO like the sound of a nice exhaust ... I just don't like riding with that for very long. I found that both stage 1 L1 and tri ovals really don't sound very good, even if you like volume. Stock is pretty pathetic sounding, but the bike is running so good I can live with it.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I just had TriOvals put on last Tuesday and then rode 180 mi to get home. I'm pretty satisfied with the sound. Not really loud at a stop light but great rumble when I "get on" it. I do wear ear plugs when I ride on the highway ( 65 mph plus) because of the air, but not on street riding. I usually wear a modular helmet. But sometimes I wear an open face. What a difference!!! Which is why exhause sound is so subjective.
As for resinance, I've never really noticed it, but then I'm half deaf anyway :crzy:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Just installed the Tri-Oval's on the new Hard-Ball (came with the bike deal).

I guarantee I'll be selling the filter and flash card. Kyle's going to do some nice things soon on this bike soon with a pcv, cams, filter, wheel and dyno tune.. Cannot wait.

I just pulled the O2's with no other mods (yet), with just the Tri-Oval slip-on's. While I loved the RPW Slash pipes on my previous High-Ball, I knew not to expect any such thing from these, due to the cat's remaining, and the nature of the beast with any factory exhaust option.

However, I was somewhat pleased. Took them out for a short ride and after fully warm, grabbing some throttle they do let you know there's a bike under you at least.

Has anyone tweaked or modified the Tri-Oval baffles to get a little more out of them? With success? ... In terms of better flow or sound either one. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Selling pipes

I wanted more than stage one gave me so I went with Basanni's. It took for about a month to sell. I eventually had to put on Ebay and had to re-list them once because didn't sell. Got $250 plus $35 shipping. Shipping them in the Basanni box was right at $32. Hope this helps if you decide to sell them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts