Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know that the Stage 1 Tri-Oval exhaust system physically fits a 2012 CC. But I'm getting mixed info about whether it is 'meant for' the 2012. The Vic web site says the pipes are not compatible with it. And the place I bought them from told me that the dealer cannot apply the flash that comes with them to my 2012 because the flash is meant for 2013+ models. But the instructions that came with the pipes say "Application: 2011 to Current Victory Cross Roads, Victory Cross Country, Victory Cross Country Tour..." and obviously there are people around here with Tri-Ovals on pre-2013 models.

So, two questions:

- Is it true the flash cannot be applied to 2012?

- Is the flash just meant to clean up emissions or is it a performance enhancing fuel map update flash like a Power Commander essentially provides? If it is just emissions I don't really care. If it is performance then I do.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
827 Posts
So I know that the Stage 1 Tri-Oval exhaust system physically fits a 2012 CC. But I'm getting mixed info about whether it is 'meant for' the 2012. The Vic web site says the pipes are not compatible with it. And the place I bought them from told me that the dealer cannot apply the flash that comes with them to my 2012 because the flash is meant for 2013+ models. But the instructions that came with the pipes say "Application: 2011 to Current Victory Cross Roads, Victory Cross Country, Victory Cross Country Tour..." and obviously there are people around here with Tri-Ovals on pre-2013 models.

So, two questions:

- Is it true the flash cannot be applied to 2012?

- Is the flash just meant to clean up emissions or is it a performance enhancing fuel map update flash like a Power Commander essentially provides? If it is just emissions I don't really care. If it is performance then I do.

Thanks,
Rob
From the Victory web site:
Dealer installation required
Kit Includes: Performance air filter, EFI recalibration by authorized Victory dealer and Victory Performance pipes
Fits all Cross models

It is a recalibration to help performance.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'll be selling my filter and flash card unused from my tri-oval kit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Why worry about a flash? If you are just putting the pipes on there then you don't really need the flash.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why worry about a flash? If you are just putting the pipes on there then you don't really need the flash.
What do you mean "just putting the pipes on"? What else is there? I will be using the supplied filter, if that's what you mean.

Rob

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Why cant the dealer perform a flash for a 2012 bike. What difference does it make what pipe you install. The tri-Ovals are the same for Victory, Honda, Kawasaki, Harley. There's nothing different in the baffle design. They don't make power just noise and they look good. Get a power commander V and a dyno tune. The flash is a waste of money. You will still be lean as hell. At least you will know your bike is tuned optimally to run with the parts you are installing. Be done with it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What do you mean "just putting the pipes on"? What else is there? I will be using the supplied filter, if that's what you mean.

Rob
If you add the exhaust and filter, you'll be opening the air-flow up a little bit more on a bike that's already quite lean from the factory to meet EPA regs.. So you'd either want to do the flash, or do a tuner such as a VFC III or PCV or AFRPlus in order to get the bike running as it should with appropriate AFR, EPA be damned, and I wish they would be.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why cant the dealer perform a flash for a 2012 bike. What difference does it make what pipe you install. The tri-Ovals are the same for Victory, Honda, Kawasaki, Harley. There's nothing different in the baffle design. They don't make power just noise and they look good. Get a power commander V and a dyno tune. The flash is a waste of money. You will still be lean as hell. At least you will know your bike is tuned optimally to run with the parts you are installing. Be done with it.
I don't know why they can't, I was just told they couldn't. I assume it is because the ECUs are current between model years and the dealer's flash might refuse to apply the flash to a device that was not 'right'.

Rob

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
PCV has the ability to add and remove fuel. It will adjust timing. It can raise your rev limit 500 rpm. You have the ability to fully tune your motor on a Dyno one time and get the best results. If you want a tuned bike to run the way a tuned bike should this is your only option at this time otherwise your in the hit and miss situation that many including myself have been thru.

Benefits to the above tuned motor will yield better fuel mileage, better throttle response, and a cooler more efficient motor obviously pro longing the life of the motor.

Many have commented on this forum including myself using set and forget tuners which have resulted in poorer fuel mileage caused by an over rich mixture. some state still lean as well.
you just gotta tune 'em !

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't really intend this to get into a tuning discussion. Victory sells a pipe kit. They supply a flash with it. I'm trying to figure out what the flash actually does and if anyone has been able to get their dealer to apply to a 2012?

Rob

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The flash is intended to provide a 'compliant' map for that particular stage 1 exhaust and air filter. I can't answer on whether a 2012 bike will take the flash or not sorry as I understand that's kinda all you need to know.

I will say there are options if it can't be flashed. I saw a VFC for sale for cheap, and you can sell the flash card.

The most perfect is currently dyno tuned PCV as mentioned. Next best is PCV with a stage 1 base map and Autotune. Next is the AFR+ dialing in with support from Rylan or Lloyd, or VFC III with the stage 1 settings as starting point which worked well for me on my last high-ball stage 1. Either of those if properly setup should render better results than the flash on a simple slip-on and filter upgrade.

Yes it is frustrating. I'm second guessing my choice of Tri-Ovals myself as I'm planning on cams, timing wheel, PCV and dyno tune in Helen at the end of the month.

They sound somewhat ok, but I haven't read opinions much favorable on the Tri-Ovals with a cams+timing wheel+Lloydz filter and PCV upgrade.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like a PCV is about $280. Maybe I'll just go that route and get some extra HP. What's the deal about 1 dyno run? Is one included with the PCV?

Rob

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Nope. Whatchu gotta do is find a pro near you who can tune one. Or get to a victory rally signed up for a dyno tune session. Or do the PCV Auto-Tune.

Alternative if you're technically inclined, is a VFC, setting it for your application with support remotely or by following instructions etc. it's not bad at all. It'll do very well when set appropriately and works great for simple stage 1.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Your dealer, like the majority of them out there, don't really have a clue about Victory motorcycles. They can flash your bike no matter if it is a 2011 or a 2014 model with the supplied flash code.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I didn't really intend this to get into a tuning discussion. Victory sells a pipe kit. They supply a flash with it. I'm trying to figure out what the flash actually does and if anyone has been able to get their dealer to apply to a 2012?

Rob
Like TNXR said. Dealers do the CYA thing too. You have Pipes for a 13 model that were not made yet for a 12 model. Right? so you have these slip-on's and the dealer recognizes them for a 13 and thus says "this does not compute because you should not use these pipes on your 12 model? so the 12 model flash shouldn't be done?" :crzy:
more the reason to get a PCV. thumb up.

As far as getting into a tuning discussion I have to ask just what are you wanting to do to your bike? More air in, more fuel in, more exhaust out needs to be dialed in to make an all around difference. Tuned! Good luck!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talked to another dealer service dept. They said flashing a 2012 should be fine. I did find out that they will charge about $50 for the service though. I kind of thought that's what the flash card was for (a pre-purchased credit?). Guess not. Is this everyone's experience too?

Rob

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like TNXR said. Dealers do the CYA thing too. You have Pipes for a 13 model that were not made yet for a 12 model. Right? so you have these slip-on's and the dealer recognizes them for a 13 and thus says "this does not compute because you should not use these pipes on your 12 model? so the 12 model flash shouldn't be done?" :crzy:
more the reason to get a PCV. thumb up.

As far as getting into a tuning discussion I have to ask just what are you wanting to do to your bike? More air in, more fuel in, more exhaust out needs to be dialed in to make an all around difference. Tuned! Good luck!
At this point my primary goal is improved engine sound and looks. I want the flash in order to have the bike run like it should with the new pipes and filter. Any performance improvements are a plus but not my goal. If I wanted any real improvements I would go with a PCV.

If the dealer is going to charge me more to just do the victory flash maybe I will just pop for the PCV...

Rob

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Again, why go with the flash if all you really want is a better sounding bike. Just throw the pipes on there, forget about the air filter and flash, and call it a day. Your bike will run just fine and will sound alot better. If you feel you really need the flash that bad then yes they will charge you labor to put it in and then you have to hope they do it right.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Talked to another dealer service dept. They said flashing a 2012 should be fine. I did find out that they will charge about $50 for the service though. I kind of thought that's what the flash card was for (a pre-purchased credit?). Guess not. Is this everyone's experience too?

Rob
At this point my primary goal is improved engine sound and looks. I want the flash in order to have the bike run like it should with the new pipes and filter. Any performance improvements are a plus but not my goal. If I wanted any real improvements I would go with a PCV.

If the dealer is going to charge me more to just do the victory flash maybe I will just pop for the PCV...

Rob
Do the flash and the filter if you've got one, get a little more air in, call it a stage 1 done and ride.

To give you ideas on economies of scale, I'm anxiously awaiting dropping $2k soon to make a new Hard-Ball with 650 miles on it, run 'properly', though I've got a flash and filter sitting in the tri-oval kit box along with the stock mufflers.

I figure if I'm going to live with it, I'm going to make it as I want it and if I have the opportunity for one of the greats to be close by at a rally with tools and dyno, I'm in.

$50 to end your guessing if you need to or not.. Cheap relief for the delimna, I'd say.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do the flash and the filter if you've got one, get a little more air in, call it a stage 1 done and ride..
Right. That's my thought. It's Victory's kit... I just want it installed as it was meant to be. No use 'wasting' the filter and any residual performance if it's easy to just get it flashed as intended. Victory designed it and I figure I should use it as intended.

$50 to end your guessing if you need to or not.. Cheap relief for the delimna, I'd say.
Indeed. It's not that $50 is a big deal, I was just confused because I thought that the whole point of the included flash 'card' with the kit was to get the buyer a flash. If that wasn't intended to be a form of credit so that the purchaser of the kit could get a factory-supplied flash then what's the point of the card? Is it really just 'permission' to acquire the flash 'code'?

And, again, if I'm going to have to spend $50 for applying this flash of questionable value maybe I'll just spend $280 and get the PCV.

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts