Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 XCT anyone install the cord/plug for the trickler charger and where and how did you do it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Bought mine used and it came with one. It is just the Battery Tender pigtail and is installed direct to the battery behind the front cover that hides the battery.

Rob

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Bought mine used as well and they zip tied mine by the rear brake reservoir.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bigblue where did you put yours so you can plug it in. I'm looking for idea's on where the best place is for it to stick out so I can easily get to it and still be out of the way and easy to install.

·
13,002 Posts
You might all ready have the plug in down by the battery.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
My charger came with a pig tail that I wired to the battery and ran the pig tail through the slots of the chin spoiler. Easy access to plug the charger into and at all other times I have a charger cord attached to the pig tail that allows me to plug in my phone or GPS.
Easy stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ran mine to the hole between the crash bar and the spoiler/ battery box. Zip tied it to the crash bar along the bottom side where it's easy to tuck in and hide.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ran it out the left side from the battery compartment, up along the inside of the frame and zip tied it to the wire loom running up there. It is tucked in while riding and easy to reach when I park in the garage. I chose that side because that was the side where the Battery Tender Jr. hangs down from the plug in the ceiling for the garage door opener.

That way the wire hangs from the ceiling strait down and I never have to step over it. I plug it in just for the heck of it, even though my bike rarely sits for more than two days. I spent the day charging the battery while riding all around southern Utah. This place is awesome.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Back in 2010 such a cord was supplied and my dealer installed it so its on the left side, with the SAE plug tucked behind the cowl's lower side panel. It comes out just above the shifter pedal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ran it out the left side from the battery compartment, up along the inside of the frame and zip tied it to the wire loom running up there. It is tucked in while riding and easy to reach when I park in the garage.
I did the same. I chose the left side because it is the easiest location to reach without large potential of burning my hand.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I plug my trickle charger into the socket in the fairing. That socket is hot all the time so the batter gets charged. No need to add anything to the battery. thumb up

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I plug my trickle charger into the socket in the fairing. That socket is hot all the time so the batter gets charged. No need to add anything to the battery. thumb up
thumb up Me too. Battery Tender sells a connector that plugs right in. It's great and eliminates the extra connections to the battery. Stacking too many ring terminals to battery is a pain to keep tight.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I added a Powerlet outlet through the left side cover. This is connected directly to the battery, via a (fused) run along the tank, and then down.

I use this for heated gear (when it's really cold, because these Vics do put out a lot of heat on their own) and also for my smart charger in the garage. I replaced one of the leads that came with a smart charger with a male Powerlet plug. Powerlet plugs are a little smaller than cigarette-lighter-style plugs, make better connections (they don't come loose), and are used on all BMWs and some other bikes.

I describe drilling through the side cover and the related work involved in this gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct-powerlet-in-side-cover/ .

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I also plug Battery Tender into the 12v power plug in the fairing as it is hot even when the bike is turned off.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AS it turns out I went to the dealer and saw where they place theirs which is in front of the oil cooler just above the battery. They drape it over the top and stuff it along the inside of what they call the left fairing chin. When you need it you can pull out about 12" of it and when not in use stick it behind the fairing chin and you can't even see it.

So I went home guess what I found hidden behind the fairing chin./...... the tender pig tail already installed.. I'll try to attach a photo for anyone interested.

But I really like the idea of just plugging in to one of the 12vt recepticals.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wsollack

Bill does a powerlet male have to plug into a "powerlet" female or will they work in the OEM female plugs on the 2012 XCT?

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I connected the pigtail to the battery postsand ran it up behind the left side chin. Cable tied to another wire(probably the horn) and let it hang downward from there with naybe 4" of cable leftover to tuck behind the chin. It is out os site very nicely and easy to reach.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Wsollack

Bill does a powerlet male have to plug into a "powerlet" female or will they work in the OEM female plugs on the 2012 XCT?
Powerlet -- males and females -- are smaller in diameter (and more robust, and connect better) than cigarette-lighter style plugs and sockets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts