Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have read on here before about shifter shaft seals going out or blowing out. Will with 48K on my XR it happened to me. This past Saturday going out of Superior, Az. heading south my left foot slipped off the floorboard. Pulled over and seen oil coming out by the shift shaft very quickly. Well the group I was riding with thought I was fooling with my water on my seat. They had all rode on by. I sent text to a few of them. One local, a guy named Gilbert stopped went and got me some oil. Thanks Gilbert, gave me a quart of oil, no charge, he said get home safe. Still good people out there. Also another couple on a HD stopped offered me help and water, again thanks to I believe his name was Rick and his wife/girlfriend, so there still are good people out there, yes. Sooooo of course I did not have a funnel. SO I looked in my bag, found a hose I use to syphen gas if need be. Put the hose into the fill hole and poured the oil down the outside of the hose, it ran down into the engine. Road back into Superior, Az. Looked for truck rental on the phone, none that it brought up. Went to Family Dollar. Bought a funnel, bought two qts of engine oil. Headed west back towards Phx. Stopped three times and checked the oil. Made it into Mesa, Az. Stopped at Victory of Mesa(Kellys-Victory, Kawasaki). If they were busy I was going to buy the seal if they had it and take it home and install it. Got there Bruce in the shop told me to pull it in, he said it should take about 15-minutes. I let him do it. They even washed the bike off. I was out of there in less than an hour, I looked around also at bikes and bought a shirt. Victory in Mesa was very fair, and the service was great, sorry they are stopping production on these bikes. I am an equipment mechanic myself and yes I could have done it myself, but guess what I got to continue on my ride! Went on down to Tombstone,Az. for the night. Thanks to all those people that helped. Yes it was also a very hot weekend, but we had a good time. Remember Mesa,Az. Victory on Country Club, good people. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad to hear it all worked out. BTW I would have stopped for you also. Always keep a couple bottles of water and a quart of oil in the truck.

I was also at Vic of Mesa today for my 500 mile service after my XC purchase last month. Been very happy with their service and knowledge of the bikes. Drove across town in the 100 degree heat today cuz I vowed never to by from the dealer closer to me in on the west side.

They have been buying up a bunch of stock from Polaris. Not sure how long the good deals will last.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
They did some warranty work on my wifes bike. One of the better experiences we had from a dealer. The Vic dealer out in AJ was good also.

Glad it all went well. How hot was it this last weekend there?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
@Speedblue what an adventure, no matter how small the problem, it is nice to read people stop to help, in my CCT i carry all kind of tools.... I helped out a bunch of Vespa's on the side of the road, but they had all the help and tools , stopped at a new car sitting in a ditch, etc etc....

Nice people get nice things
Nasty people take nice things, but karma will prevail.....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
If that seal pops out again, just push it back in the hole. Use any implement to push it in a little firmly until you can do a proper job of seating it. When mine did that it only dripped oil when it was leaning on the side stand.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
If that seal pops out again, just push it back in the hole. Use any implement to push it in a little firmly until you can do a proper job of seating it. When mine did that it only dripped oil when it was leaning on the side stand.

What I did when happened to me .. Lost very little oil on the 50 Mile Ride Home ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Logical, totally logical... I would done the same

·
13,188 Posts
makes me wonder if the seal was installed the right way.

O well your doing good now thats all that counts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice people get nice things
Nasty people take nice things, but karma will prevail.....

Nice little pearl of wisdom here......

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Pushing the seal back in helps, if it won't stay in wrap about a foot of thread or dental floss around it then tap it in. The thread/floss will increase the diameter of the seal and hold it in. Worked for me with no leaking until I could get a new seal 900 miles later.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Pushing the seal back in helps, if it won't stay in wrap about a foot of thread or dental floss around it then tap it in. The thread/floss will increase the diameter of the seal and hold it in. Worked for me with no leaking until I could get a new seal 900 miles later.
Brilliant, definitely going into my bag of tricks for the highway.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seal

Good ideas on the side road seal repair! Well I believe the seal was installed correctly, bike has over 48,000 miles on it now or just under that when it happened last weekend. It actually did not look like it had popped out, but it was dripping very badly on the side stand. At a gas station as I gassed up the bike it left a puddle on the ground at least 6 inches in diameter. Happens again I will make sure and try pushing it in. If that does not make it stay I will try the dental floss or maybe some sealer. Figured I would write my "fun" experience and maybe somebody might be able to benefit or learn some on the road fix if it happens to them. ..... Side note: I like to carry one of the ball caps with the scarf on the back to keep your neck cool. Once I got my helmet off I put on the hat, I could feel that good old Az sun start to cook my old neck. Also if you do not have a hat you can always throw an extra shirt over your head or a bandana. Remember if you are visiting Arizona in the summer you want to try to be prepared, this desert will not only kill your bike/car but it can kill you also. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Good ideas on the side road seal repair! Well I believe the seal was installed correctly, bike has over 48,000 miles on it now or just under that when it happened last weekend. It actually did not look like it had popped out, but it was dripping very badly on the side stand. At a gas station as I gassed up the bike it left a puddle on the ground at least 6 inches in diameter. Happens again I will make sure and try pushing it in. If that does not make it stay I will try the dental floss or maybe some sealer. Figured I would write my "fun" experience and maybe somebody might be able to benefit or learn some on the road fix if it happens to them. ..... Side note: I like to carry one of the ball caps with the scarf on the back to keep your neck cool. Once I got my helmet off I put on the hat, I could feel that good old Az sun start to cook my old neck. Also if you do not have a hat you can always throw an extra shirt over your head or a bandana. Remember if you are visiting Arizona in the summer you want to try to be prepared, this desert will not only kill your bike/car but it can kill you also. Thanks.
Wise words, people die in outback Australia too, always carry water, Jack Daniels won't rehydrate but you may die happy!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
They did some warranty work on my wifes bike. One of the better experiences we had from a dealer. The Vic dealer out in AJ was good also.

Glad it all went well. How hot was it this last weekend there?
Victory of Mesa is owned by the same people as the Dealer in AJ. They are nice people and offer a fair deal.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Speeddblue.......do you have the original seal and if you do, what's the number on it? Most bearings and seals are off-the-shelf items at bearing suppliers. It's a good thing to have one on hand.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Seal size is 12x22x7, the part number is 3610154

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Seal size is 12x22x7, the part number is 3610154
Can I assume that's 12mm ID X 22mm OD X 7mm thick? And that's the Victory part number?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Can I assume that's 12mm ID X 22mm OD X 7mm thick? And that's the Victory part number?
Yes that is how seals are marked, metric or imperial ... Exept the units of course change

Edit....

m.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-New-OEM-Seal-Oil-Shaft-12X22X7-3610154-/201556083825

https://www.google.co.id/search?client=ms-android-oppo&q=seal+12x22x7+part+number+3610154&oq=seal+12x22x7+part+number+3610154&aqs=mobile-gws-lite..

Ha ha ha ha ha U$D 8.49
Better buy one in a hydraulic shop, at least then you can ask about Japanese quality... Or European.... Or American...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I changed primaries today. Installed new bearing and seals. It was actually pretty easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts