·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
That is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
What an adventure you had!! Thanks for sharing your tour through Germany and amazing beautiful scenery and structures to sad, humbling past history.

Thank you, looking forward to me trip there.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
That photo gallery brought back a flood of memories good and bad. In 2000, Pretty Wife and I joined Germans motoradding in the Alps country of southern Germany, France, Austria and Italy. Saw way too much to even begin to list here. Was there a month and it was fantastic. That's the good memories.
The bad memories come from the part of our trip to Poland 3 years ago, where we visited Auschwitz. Not a day goes by that doesn't haunt me still. What a horrible place.
Other than Dachau, it appears you had a great time exploring and eating. Tschuss!

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
You and the waiter behind you kinda look alike so you definitely fit in.

I was going to say you just missed Octoberfest but then...

Nice BMW!

Friend or relative?

Germany really is a beautiful country. The first thing that struck me when I went one October was how green it was everywhere.

From very old...

To very modern....

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fella in the pictures with me is my dad. He smiled more in the 2 weeks overseas than he has in the last 2 years. It was his lifelong dream to visit Neuschwanstein Castle and it finally became a reality.

My dad's ex-boss' son was running in the Berlin marathon; that's the reason we went in the first place. Then we just made a vacation out of it.

People ask me what it was like. I tell them that as soon as you get out of the city, it's like living inside of a postcard.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, bought an authentic cuckoo clock. Fully mechanical, cuckoos and the figure chops wood. I should receive it in about a week :)

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Yep, bought an authentic cuckoo clock. Fully mechanical, cuckoos and the figure chops wood. I should receive it in about a week :)
Is that a Made In China tag I see? :eek

·
12,984 Posts
Great for you looks like a good exciting time. The food the beer you must enjoy every day. Doing it with your Dad would be the best part.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great for you looks like a good exciting time. The food the beer you must enjoy every day. Doing it with your Dad would be the best part.
The food and beer were every bit as good as I expected (I have high expectations). Dad and I had an amazing time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Looks like ya had a great trip...Glad for ya,and thanks for sharing.

BTW My dad was part of the outfit [Pattons third army] that liberated Dachau. He said, as bad as we are told it was.....it was worse.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great pictures. I love traveling abroad. One of the things I came to appreciate while in the Marine Corps, lots of travel. Last year I did vacation to England and Scotland. If you have never been outside the USA previously it is amazing how much world it out there to see. Even with all my previous travel - nothing prepared me for the amazing history of Europe. Next year will be Italy and Germany.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cool beans. I have lots of family over there, we come from Baden Baden. Also have a large family corporation over there.

It is beautiful country and motorcycles are a dream to own there. Hard riders. I remember being on a trip where we had older BMW's and camping in the gig areas. They taught me how to drain the oil, heat it on the campfire and put it back in the bike before starting.

Those old airheads didn't care much for the cold!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Congrats, Brogster! Hard to beat trips like that -- people, scenery, beer, roads, and the Beemer museum.

I was stationed in West Berlin -- divided city, back in those days -- for a little over two years ('69 - '71), during my four years in the Army. Did a lot of traveling in Europe during monthly passes.

In 1998, my wife and I took the Edleweiss "Best of Europe" tour, on an 850 BMW (same model I owned at the time). This started and ended in Munich (my gallery of that trip is at Edelweiss "Best of Europe" & Paris, July 1998 ), although we spent a few days in Paris at the end.

Yeah, need to get back there again one of these days ...

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Bill...Pretty Wife & I looked at your Edelweiss tour pics and it brought back memories of our two week ride with a German club in 2000 and then two weeks on our own. Here are some highlights....
+ Lichtenstein - don't blink, you'll miss it. Had lunch there, no one spoke English, but we had learned enough German to get us what we wanted.
+ Rothenberg - a huge tour bus inching through one of the tiny gates with hardly room to spare. The Criminal Museum made us glad we didn't live in ancient times. Liked Rothenburg so much, we went back after the tour and continued to do a tour of our own.
+ Klaussen Pass, Switzerland - not the highest or most technical, but the most gorgeous of all those we did.
+ B&B high in the Alps and the hosts spoke no English. A lovely chalet with a great view of the Dolomites - say do-lo-mee-tees.
+ Staying in a hotel room with a church across the street that rang its very loud bells at 5:45 am.
+ Stelvio Pass - what can I say that hasn't been said before about these 48 switchbacks.
+ 5 course dinners and we still lost weight.
+ Huge buffet breakfasts at most hotels with cheeses, meats, wonderful pastries and cakes, cereals and quark.
+ Pasta in Italy. Need I say more?
+ A BMW K1200LT that was a pig at low speeds; had an electric windshield that kept us dry at speeds in downpours; and taught me that heated seats and grips should be on any bike I own from then on.
+

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Bill...Pretty Wife & I looked at your Edelweiss tour pics and it brought back memories of our two week ride with a German club in 2000 and then two weeks on our own. Here are some highlights....
+ Lichtenstein - don't blink, you'll miss it. Had lunch there, no one spoke English, but we had learned enough German to get us what we wanted.
+ Rothenberg - a huge tour bus inching through one of the tiny gates with hardly room to spare. The Criminal Museum made us glad we didn't live in ancient times. Liked Rothenburg so much, we went back after the tour and continued to do a tour of our own.
+ Klaussen Pass, Switzerland - not the highest or most technical, but the most gorgeous of all those we did.
+ B&B high in the Alps and the hosts spoke no English. A lovely chalet with a great view of the Dolomites - say do-lo-mee-tees.
+ Staying in a hotel room with a church across the street that rang its very loud bells at 5:45 am.
+ Stelvio Pass - what can I say that hasn't been said before about these 48 switchbacks.
+ 5 course dinners and we still lost weight.
+ Huge buffet breakfasts at most hotels with cheeses, meats, wonderful pastries and cakes, cereals and quark.
+ Pasta in Italy. Need I say more?
+ A BMW K1200LT that was a pig at low speeds; had an electric windshield that kept us dry at speeds in downpours; and taught me that heated seats and grips should be on any bike I own from then on.
+
- Hey, we had lunch in Liechtenstein, too! (It's even on the map, in that second pic.)

- Rothenburg was quite a place. Good on you, for going back there. Pic 62 (Edelweiss "Best of Europe" & Paris, July 1998) was taken there, one of my favorites, and is what we looked like almost 20 years ago. That's a pic of the place we stayed at, in 54 (Edelweiss "Best of Europe" & Paris, July 1998).

- Our favorite place was probably Andermatt, in Switzerland. Good Alpine passes and hairpins, and one of the off days was there (took a cable-car up to one of the peaks).

- Those are all printed photos -- this was before we owned any digital cameras -- that I got around to scanning in a year or so ago.

- I test rode the LT, two-up with my wife, in Texas, in 1999 or maybe 2000. Decided it was too tall and too top-heavy, and bought a Valkyrie Interstate in 2000. I owned the R850R for three years before that purchase.

It's a lot of money, but the memories are forever (or at least until senility sets in). Every rider should do these kind of trips, especially if you like scenery, twisties, and new experiences.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts