Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have had a bit of trouble starting my bike after being on ice over Winter. It was on a Optimate charger for at least a month of that time. It was 12.4V when I plugged it in and was back at 12.6V in no time.
I kicked it over and she started perfectly. I went for a ride and then end to work. When I came out to go home it wouldn't kick over and the Engine light came on. It cranked a bit then stopped. A mate said he thought it could be the fuel has gone off or the battery just didn't have enough charge.

I started it this morning and she fired first go just like it always has and rode to work. Tonight on the way home it had the same problem and wouldn't start. Engine light on, cranked then nothing. Finally just started after about 6 goes.

The HD dealer came to pick it up tonight to get it serviced and it was in my driveway and was in gear with me holding the clutch in and it wouldn't start even with a bit of throttle. I put it in neutral and then the tech cranked it and it started like normal.

He wanted to know if it had a sensor to stop it on the kick stand or something but I didn't know.

Anyone have any ideas as these guys aren't experts on our bikes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Battery terminals tight?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The terminals should be tight. Never been touched from new and it has hardly been ridden.

As for the cut out being under the clutch lever maybe I was trying to start it in gear and didn't have the clutch pulled right in? Doesn't sound like something I'd do. Would that cause an engine light?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
The terminals should be tight. Never been touched from new and it has hardly been ridden.
Big mistake BT. Never assume someone else did it right. I had a machine repair business for over 40 years and the worst work was done by a certain brand's own factory authorized personnel on their own brand of machines. Check your battery terminals before you do anything else and check them often. Mine always need a bit of cinching up every time I check them. Vibration you know.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Big mistake BT. Never assume someone else did it right. I had a machine repair business for over 40 years and the worst work was done by a certain brand's own factory authorized personnel on their own brand of machines. Check your battery terminals before you do anything else and check them often. Mine always need a bit of cinching up every time I check them. Vibration you know.
+1 on this. Also, it has been rumored that the battery cables become loose often causing mayhem. To prevent the loosening, get yourself a couple of 1/4" lock washers and install them under your battery cable cinch bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts