Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Truck Stops You Not Rear Brake

5K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  RICZ 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The absolute one and ONLY driver to blame for the bikes crash was the bike rider. Each driver is responsible for leaving an "assured clear distance" between them and any vehicle they are following. If a vehicle in front of you slams on the brakes, you need to be driving in such a manner that you can stop without hitting anything. As a biker, you also need to keep an eye on the vehicles behind you when you emergency stop to make sure you are not going to get obliterated by the vehicle immediately behind you. So... bottom line... the crash of the bike was the bikers fault.

G'day,

Vinish

#5 ·
It seems that this is a hard custom to beat in the USA, and only in the USA.... I know you guys use the 70front/30rear rule of thumb breaking, but there are some hard core rear brake believers out there at your side of the pond .....

So when you get your license, don't they teach you that in school? In Holland it is not easy to get ANY type of licence... It is hard work for many months, and expensive, coz the teacher is very professional....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#8 · (Edited)
Absolutely unbelievable!

How this clown has survived for however long he's been riding escapes me.

Not only does he give it a big fat boot full of too much rear brake, he then throws the towel in and shoves his feet on the roadway, expecting that to slow him quicker than perfectly good motorcycle brakes!

How lucky he was that the oncoming vehicle wasn't a second or two further back from where it was. His head might have ended up as a bumper bar ornament if that had been the case.

That's incompetence, right there...

Reactions: skullsessions
#7 ·
License tests in the US have been dumbed down as well as our education system. Its part of a national program of inclusiveness. We are told we must include and accept all, no matter what. Also, each state has its own standards for licensing drivers. Oregon doesn't test to see if you can parallel park, so you should see the strange attempts that block traffic for many minutes.
I lost count of the jerk riders who tell me they use only the rear brake.

#9 ·

Yeah....but you know....there are those (even on this forum) who'll tell you that a rear brake is only for slowing down, not stopping. That it'll make you crash....which is equally absurd as using it exclusively.

Or those who tell you that using brakes in a curve will make you crash.

Braking myths abound.

Reactions: broggyr
#10 ·
I learned early on that my XR's rear brake was too powerful and in hard stops it was difficult not to lock the rear wheel. Turned out the rear OEM pads are HH rated, so I swapped them for cheapo GG and that resulted in far better rear rake control, for I use the rear a lot for trail braking in the twisties. BTW, EBC HH in the fronts was a huge improvement over those wooden OEM pads.

Reactions: Speedblue and BenD
#11 ·
It's interesting that I think I've seen you say that before about the HH pads. But I run EBC HH on front and back of my XC and I don't find the rear to be too grabby when I'm trail braking.

I wouldn't be against trying different pads on the rear to see if I agree that they feel different in a good way.

Reactions: TNXR
#14 ·
I don't find fault with the guy slamming on the rear brake. We all have car/truck mentality. We have been taught since we first got our licens put foot on brake to stop. When I ride the bike I tell myself over an over front brake first. It kind helps but the brain still says foot on brake.
On the front I wish victory had a smaller master cylinder and a shorter hand lever. Then we all could stop faster. Now to really get good brake leverage you have to grab the very end of the lever to really apply pressure to the brake.

Skull try oem pads for the rear they don't grab and you can drift the rear pretty good

#15 ·
Im still getting used to the fact that I have ABS on the bike, Im a user of both brakes and having assisted breaking is also a new one for me.
The front brake on the Vision grabs nicely but for hard stops I still use both evenly. Im not sure what the best way to apply the brakes is given my 2017 Vision is the way it is, my understanding is applying the rear brake applies 30% assisted braking to the front one as well..

#18 ·
If you brake hard on the rear alone it will also engage the front partially.

Using the rear regularly, it works regularly.

For hard braking I'll hammer both just like any other bike I've had, using proper technique to keep from locking up. I don't find ABS or them being linked changes anything. My 08 doesn't have ABS and my 13 does, I ride then the same.

ABS only kicks on if the sensor is tripped. That happens by the tire losing traction. Using my emergency breaking technique learned in my motors course I've never activated the ABS on my 13 that I can remember.

#16 ·
We use to rent out bigger scooters so people could go and take their motorcycle course at the DMV.....notice I said USE to.....

That person reminds me of a rider I encountered out west when we got about 150 miles into Colorado, just outside Steam boat springs if I remember correct, when I got into the back of the line, there was four other people ahead of me, single biker at the front was doing 25-35 in a 60MPH zone......curve....brakkkkeeeeeee...speed up.....curve....brakkkkkeeeee...speed up....for at least 15 miles......never looked back to see what was going on..don't know if they checked their mirrors....people behind them were not happy....including me...when its broad daylight with no trees and you can see from the road sides to the tree lines at least a half mile.....man....do at least the speed limit....

If I am out and about in a place I am not familiar with and I see a local up on my rear end, I get over and let them pass.

Going under the limit is just as dangerous if not more then going over the limit in my eyes.

#17 ·
Paulie, I had a somewhat similar experience in the Black Hills. On a curvy (not twisty) road, a couple two up on a Harley tourer that would slow way down for a curve and then proceed around it VERTICALLY! Later, we met and diplomatically, I broached the subject and offered up some tips. He thanked me and said he'd work on them. Before parting, we exchanged email and phone numbers. He calls me occasionally and never forgets to thank me for improving his riding experience.

Reactions: BenD
#19 ·
This person was either not paying attention to what going on behind them or the speed limit signs, I mean 20+ below the limit and WIDE turns into the other lane, double lines the whole way and the people behind them either didn't wanna scare the rider or risk getting a ticket, my co-pilot was getting more worked up then I was..at first....but after mile 10 and this person was still doing it after the lead vehicles flashing the lights and honking and this person just out in some dream land with their bike, it gets a little.....erksome......I get it...its a sight to behold everywhere you look...so PULL OVER AND LOOK AND LOOK AT IT....

I watched rangers in Yellowstone hit the lights to get slower people over. Our trip in 2015 on the one day we spent the whole day in the northwest part of the park and once you get out there in some parts it goes UUUUPPPPPPPP and the speed limit is mostly stuck at 35-45......older guy was doing a MAX of 25......We caught up to the convoy and was six or seven back....Ranger in a truck was number two back and could tell that the older gent had to have been white knuckling it, get into a corner and toss out the anchor.....speed up to the next one and repeat...and when I say speed up I mean they never got over 25 from down to 5 or 10 mph......that is super sketchy out there, its tells you every other 1/4 please us pull outs to allow faster traffic. Ranger must have had enough and hit his lights, car in front of him got over and he got around them and pulled slow poke over, we went by and the ranger was out of his truck and going up to the car no idea what happened.

Seems to happen a lot in the smokies too. A lot of those roads I know myself for going there so much and drove in all conditions. I do just fine and if someone gets in line behind me and can keep up or is going faster, I'll get over for them and let them carry on about their day.

#20 · (Edited)
Those flatlanders, being scared of curves, can ruin your day. A bit off the subject of bad drivers, but last Sunday, I took my 15 year old great granddaughter out in the 300C for her first driving lessons with me and that car. She had very little seat time prior to this, which is good, because my goal here is to make a driver out of her and not a car mover.
First thing was seat and wheel adjustment and body posture. Then side mirror adjustment so none of the car is seen in them. Then we did some parking maneuvers, backing into spaces using only the mirrors. Yeah, I'm a tough (but very gentle) teacher. That was followed by full lock circles going gradually faster to let her feel the strong adhesion tires have to the road.
We were at a huge electronics firm's gigantic parking lot, Sunday empty. Lots of curvy roads, various intersection situations and "islands" of various shapes and sizes. I had her do slaloms weaving through a series of them and she aced it, eventually doing it quite fast.
She began this saying how scared she was of this and that and three hours later, she was very confident, and proud of her newly learned skills, skills that many experienced "drivers" can not execute.
I attached two videos; the first shows the her and the car slaloming the islands and the second show her action on the wheel - note how she passes the wheel - mostly (as I taught her) for better control. She learns quickly and will be good driver. She doesn't know it yet, but I intend to take her to Portland International Raceway for a track day after she and I think she's up to it. Next...Daytona!

https://www.facebook.com/ric.zittenfield/videos/1824222760945185/

https://www.facebook.com/ric.zittenfield/videos/1824235720943889/

#21 ·
Would you like me to give her some pursuit driving classes?

My wife loves my pursuit driving.:devil

I swear she'd pass out in a real car chase.

#24 ·
Oregon is EXTREMELY weird. For example, we are taxed for the rain that falls on our roofs. Another, and this actually happened; you are a professional photographer videoing a political demonstration when a group of guys, more than 6, circle you. They have signs that are stapled to heavy "sticks" like 2X2s and are hoisting them in preparation to possibly end you life and you expose your holstered and legal gun. Someone yells "gun" and you are arrested. You have 17 charges and are found guilty of every one. You spend 40 days in the Ironbar Hilton and pay a $40,000 fine. The 6+ thugs just walked away Scott free. Guess which party rules here.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog
#55 ·
Geez, and I thought Illinois sucked. Well it does suck, but I sure won't be going to Oregon.

#25 ·
Followed too close in the wrong side of the lane for that situation and didn't use the brakes properly. Mostly all due to being an inexperienced rider and probably not taught correctly to start with.

This happens a lot with people who take up riding at an older age. If they had learned early in life they would have muscle memory to react better. The rest is knowing the limitations of the bike and knowing how to use what it does have.

I briefly rode with a group of mostly Viet Nam vets who rode nut to butt at 70 mph on the freeway when I jumped in. I refused to ride that close and one of their road guards pulled me over and told me I couldn't ride with them for another reason; I didn't want to after seeing how dangerous they were.

#30 ·
Vic's parts finch is screwie. There are 2 lines to the front caliper. One for the front and one for the rear. Like he said the rear will apply one piston per caliper. So if you apply rear and front you'll have 6 pistons working for you

Attachments

#35 · (Edited)
Good picture VJ, so the vision has 3 pistons per caliper

If you push the foot brake only the center piston will be activated (so the pads don't wear unevenly) & surly a 50/50 pressure ratio until the ABS kiks in,

Then when you use the handlebar brake then you activate the outer 2 pistons chamber inside the calipers

Andre using TaPaTaLk

Reactions: visionjohnny
#32 ·
I once had a chain with a breaking link.

Reactions: Motorbikerx
#37 ·
Well, there goes your neighborhood TNXR. We had Californians move up here by the tens of thousands and that's one thing that results in votes for more tax and liberal agendas. Another contributor is the extremely liberal education system Oregon has, especially in Portland and Eugene, our two largest cities. Election results are driving many businesses and families to move out of state.
Not all western states have gone cuckoo; Go inland and Idaho, Montana and Wyoming are quite conservative - especially Idaho.

#40 ·
Not all western states have gone cuckoo; Go inland and Idaho, Montana and Wyoming are quite conservative - especially Idaho.
Even that's changing as the fruits, nuts, and loons move to Boise which can affect how that state votes in the future.

I'm telling you guys; we need that MRI machine which locates the offending gray matter causing this aberration in leftists with lasers that will burn it out and mandatory participation.

Yeah, I know, never happen; but one can hope and dream....

Leftism is a cancer on society; pray for a cure.

The good news is people on the left are waking up all the time, seeing the error of the Marxist/leftist ideology, and moving into the right light.

#42 ·
Hmm Wonder what he was looking at instead of traffic. I taught my son to drive in a go cart. He did some racing on dirt in one and it took a bit for him to learn to "look ahead not in front". Or as I have coached people dont drive 3ft over the hood. You probably cant miss that anyways.

#49 ·
Put in cheapo GG rated pads and you will have more control of the rear brake. Really. Honest *****. Cross my heart.

Reactions: cra-z1
#48 ·
Yep. It was the first thing I noticed. Front brake, rear brake, no brake. It didn't matter. The rider was roughly less than or equal to 1 second behind the vehicle in front of them. Typically in "perfect" conditions you must be at least 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you. In less than "perfect" conditions even more time. Otherwise it's gonna get you every time. (Some of us old SOBs have learnt something along the way) ;-) LMYR

#53 ·
I had HH's on the front of one bike...they bit like crazy but they seemed to make a lot more noise then anything else, took those off and put a set of Braking pads on the front and those bit harder and did not make a peep. I liked them so much I then bought sets for all my other machines and they all responded in a positive manner towards them.

#54 ·
I had HH's on the front of one bike...they bit like crazy but they seemed to make a lot more noise then anything else, .
Haaaaaa yes forgot about that, thanks for posting that....
At slow speed when brakes were hot or cold (parking) they were noisy, also when it's raining (parking) and brakes were hot or cold squiking also....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#56 ·
As Cook County goes, so goes Oregon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.