Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
The more bits the better- can't wait to see new Ingin models either.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Bbob- do you mean lowers as in slammed?

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Ahh- sorry- that is bagger talk, and not my forte....

Im following the Injins very closely, because I can see myself getting one......one day

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
My buddy bought a chieftain today from Chesapeake cycle in Annapolis. Rode the indian and a Victory XC. He gave the edge to the XC for comfort, but said the smoothness of engine and transmission and handling went to the Indian...no contest.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
My buddy bought a chieftain today from Chesapeake cycle in Annapolis. Rode the indian and a Victory XC. He gave the edge to the XC for comfort, but said the smoothness of engine and transmission and handling went to the Indian...no contest.
I test rode a Chief Vintage. To me it felt like a Victory with a crappy seat and poor leg ergonomics. It felt like it had more low end power, but hit the rev limiter time and again, just as the party was getting started.

I read about the tranny being more Asian, but it felt like the same tractor gear box on mine to me.

It blew a lot of heat out on my right leg. My Vic doesn't do that.

It weighs more, has lesser suspension components, and is far less efficient.

Low speed handling is more clumsy and requires considerably more effort than my XR.

It runs tube tires.

Unless additional chromed parts, keyless ignition, and electronic bag locks are high on one's list of priorities, I don't see the attraction.

Corbin does make nice looking seats for them. I might like it better with one of those.

I hope our brand doesn't succumb to a lesser bike with a more popular name. But if it does, KTM has put out a something that makes me smile.

·
Registered
301 Posts
any release dates for 2015

I test rode a chifton and loved it but didn't trade in 2012 xct wanted to check back this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Swing and a miss on the sarcasm i.e Chieftan not Chifton.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I test rode a Chief Vintage. To me it felt like a Victory with a crappy seat and poor leg ergonomics. It felt like it had more low end power, but hit the rev limiter time and again, just as the party was getting started.

I read about the tranny being more Asian, but it felt like the same tractor gear box on mine to me.

It blew a lot of heat out on my right leg. My Vic doesn't do that.

It weighs more, has lesser suspension components, and is far less efficient.

Low speed handling is more clumsy and requires considerably more effort than my XR.

It runs tube tires.

Unless additional chromed parts, keyless ignition, and electronic bag locks are high on one's list of priorities, I don't see the attraction.

Corbin does make nice looking seats for them. I might like it better with one of those.

I hope our brand doesn't succumb to a lesser bike with a more popular name. But if it does, KTM has put out a something that makes me smile.
I rode the Vintage and the Chieftain. The Chieftain blew the Vintage away in handling. The Vintage has a 29 degree rake, the Chieftain is 26 degrees. To me the Vintage front end felt heavy and tended to flop. The Chieftain's triangle is a lot smaller than either the Vintage or my XR. But, for low speed handling the Chieftain is also far better than my XR as well.

It was a cool day but didn't notice any heat on my leg. Since it was a lead ride I couldn't really ring it out very much but the power felt comparable with my XR. IMO the transmission is better than my 2010 XR if for no other reason than how heavy the pull is on my XR. And I agree about tubed tires. spoked wheels are a lot harder to clean and you can't fix a flat tire on the side of the road. The looks just don't overcome the drawbacks IMO.

My biggest complaint regarding the Indian is the sewing machine sound the engine makes. I assume it's because of the push rods since a friend of mine has a Harley with a similar design that has a similar sound though the Harley's isn't as loud.

I was looking at trading my XR in for a Chieftain but two things are stopping me. First is that my son start college next year so I am hesitant to lay out that much cash right now. And my wife really likes the back seat on my XR. The Chieftain's seat isn't nearly as big so I want her to ride on the back before I make my final decision.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts