Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a way to secure the rear trunk to my bike so it does not get stolen at the hotels while on my 10 day road trip.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I covered my bike every night of my 17 day trip, didn't worry about anyone taking the trunk. More worried about someone taking the entire bike, but that's what insurance is for I guess.

You can get a light cover at Wally World for $20 to $30.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I did the same on my trip. Cover the bike at night.

·
Registered
573 Posts
, but that's what insurance is for I guess.
Connie and I have spents many months touring on motos, both here and in other countries. I just quit worrying so much. I do have insurance and take anything valuable out at night. Have never had an issue, nor know anyone who has, although I'm sure it happens.

At most hotels, we have found you can park on the sidewalk, or out front of the office in a lighted area, which might help.

If you have a rack on the top case you could easily make up a coated wire cable (any hardware store) with looped ends and a padlock...lock the case to the bike. Not elegant but should help if really worried.

Also, how difficult to just remove the topcase and take it in the hotel/motel??

Have fun on you trip

greg

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm looking for a way to secure the rear trunk to my bike so it does not get stolen at the hotels while on my 10 day road trip.
I've been trying to find a solution to that one also. Very expensive piece of equipment to have no security feature.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They do have a security bolt, one on each side. Only way to get to the bolts is to remove the hard bags, if they are locked you can`t get the trunk off.
Is the bolt something that Vic sells? I've had my trunk off and never noticed any place I can use a security bolt. where should I be looking?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been on several long mult state trips when I had my Harley. There was a lock on the Tour pack to keep the honest people honest so I did not really worry. With the Vivtory Tour Pack costing so much and being very easy to remove from the bike I am concerned.
I don't want to carry around a bike cover because space is at a permium.
Still looking

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the bolt something that Vic sells? I've had my trunk off and never noticed any place I can use a security bolt. where should I be looking?

It was on my bike when I bought it. I looked at it a little closer and you
could get to the bolt if you were determined enough.
It basically bolts the two brackets together

go here they show it , item 28, trunk assembly view
http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

·
Registered
47 Posts
It was on my bike when I bought it. I looked at it a little closer and you
could get to the bolt if you were determined enough.
It basically bolts the two brackets together

go here they show it , item 28, trunk assembly view
http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp
I took one of my bags off and had a closer look. You're right. There is a nut welded to the trunk bracket that I mistook for a bolt because there is one right next to it. It appears that if you get a long bolt and screw it into the bracket it disables the trunk release from being lifted. It also wouldnt have enough clearance to be removed with the bag in place. Now, I just have to figure out what size screw goes into the bolt. thumb up

·
Registered
65 Posts
Troll,
Go back to your local dealer and ask them to give you the factory bolts that should have come with the trunk. You are in Vagas, Corey Ness has a dealereship there right? If not Ridenow Powersports or A Team Motorcycles should help.cheers

·
Registered
372 Posts
I took one of my bags off and had a closer look. You're right. There is a nut welded to the trunk bracket that I mistook for a bolt because there is one right next to it. It appears that if you get a long bolt and screw it into the bracket it disables the trunk release from being lifted. It also wouldnt have enough clearance to be removed with the bag in place. Now, I just have to figure out what size screw goes into the bolt. thumb up
You can also get a allen head or a torx head screw. That way a wrench can't turn the bolt from the side. That's what I did to lock my backrest & luggage rack on mine. Most decent hardware store's would have such a thing in stainless steel so you don't have to worry about it corroding either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Troll,
Go back to your local dealer and ask them to give you the factory bolts that should have come with the trunk. You are in Vagas, Corey Ness has a dealereship there right? If not Ridenow Powersports or A Team Motorcycles should help.cheers
Yes, Ness is on the other side of town but ridenow is just down the road. Thanksthumb up

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can also get a allen head or a torx head screw. That way a wrench can't turn the bolt from the side. That's what I did to lock my backrest & luggage rack on mine. Most decent hardware store's would have such a thing in stainless steel so you don't have to worry about it corroding either.
GREAT IDEA! Thats what I'll go with. I'm going to check with the dealer first and see what they have. If it isn't allen or torx I'll search around the hardware store. First and formost I've gotta get the thread size and screw length figured out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you check your tool kit that came with your new bike? Thats where the bolts were when I brought my bike home.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
A socket head screw and nylock nut came packed with the tools. To make the arrangement even more secure, I ground the nut down so it is perfectly round. With both the screw and nut being round, I no longer need to remove a case to install them. I simply assemble them and tighten with a couple pliers. Incidentally, I substituted a regular nut for the nylock one that came with the bike. That makes assembly a lot easier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts