Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Luggage rack for my XCT trunk. Yes I know Ma Vic makes one but it doesn't look right.
I found one from Metal Sport for a HD but it is square and the standoffs are too short for the Vic Trunk.

I like the style of the Metalsport rack with a few changes narrow the rear portion to follow the lines of the XCT trunk and provide for a 1 to 1.5 inch standoff.

Narrowing the back would make the lines fanout following the "V" theme of the design.

Looking for a company to build one or develop a line I think it would be a killer design.

Ideas?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Yep, I imagine you know this, but just in case you don't, CycleOps ( http://cycleopsusa.com/store/index.html , about a third of the way down the page) makes trunk racks in a couple of styles. I got one about a year ago; see attached pics from my gallery (where I have a couple more pics). The nice thing about these racks is that they use the stock mounting points and have the supports angled accordingly.

There's a long two-year-old thread on XCT trunk racks here -- http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10104 -- you'll want to read, if you haven't already.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill,
Thanks for the link.

I am looking for something Like
Rack.jpg

Only slightly modified, to follow the trunk lines better. Figure the width at the Front is fine at 21 inches, but narrow the width at the back to 19 and the lines will flow with the trim line on the trunk.

And of course chrome.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Bill,
Thanks for the link.

View attachment 64770

Only slightly modified, to follow the trunk lines better. Figure the width at the Front is fine at 21 inches, but narrow the width at the back to 19 and the lines will flow with the trim line on the trunk.

And of course chrome.
You'll note in that other thread that I liked that one (but not in chrome) enough to phone, to get the measurements. In the end, I decided it was easier -- no need to deal with mounting issues -- to get one made for Vics. But you have more fabrication and modification skills and experience than me, so go for it, good luck, etc.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill,
I was thinking of taking .25 out of the center
.375 out of the next and .5 out of the last to form the Vee. and retaining the flip in the rear.

Working on the CAD drawing and will be looking for a shop to build and chrome.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What about trying Witcdoctors? If this is something they thought they could market they might produce them.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to Jon,
he is busy trying to keep up, and doesn't have time for new work right now...

I will keep plugging. I have a Machine shop down the street from me, they are expensive and chroming down here take a long time to get done. May be I will build one and send it to Jon for chrome work along with the .dxf files maybe I can add it to the line.

Cheers

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So a little update on my quest for a luggage rack that look like it is designed for the XCT trunk.

Spoke to Jon and WD they are doing so much business they can't get to it. Good for you Jon!

Next gave a shout at Victory Only and Jason is looking into it. Last I spoke with him it will be 4-5 weeks and he is awaiting a price. To me as long as it doesn't come out to something crazy I think I am in.

Rack is looking like 21 inch wide up front and 19 inch wide in the rear. Simular to the one I posed earlier. each "slot" is a bit narrowed at the back to conform to the trunk lines.

I will post some pictures when it delivers

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Bill,
Thanks for the link.

View attachment 64770

And of course chrome.
Where is that from? I may want to modify that. I need some welding practice.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Dave, if I understand your question correctly:

- I researched that rack last year, and as I recall it's made by some outfit that doesn't sell to the public -- sorry, I don't remember the company name, but I do remember that I was unable to find any contact info for them.

- However, it's sold by J&P (and possibly others); I contacted them for dimensions. Here's the link to the rack at J&P: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/830-903 .

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Dave, if I understand your question correctly:

- I researched that rack last year, and as I recall it's made by some outfit that doesn't sell to the public -- sorry, I don't remember the company name, but I do remember that I was unable to find any contact info for them.

- However, it's sold by J&P (and possibly others); I contacted them for dimensions. Here's the link to the rack at J&P: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/830-903 .
It is aluminum. I do not have a spool gun yet for my mig. I guess I will have to hold off for now. Thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Talked to Jon,
he is busy trying to keep up, and doesn't have time for new work right now...

I will keep plugging. I have a Machine shop down the street from me, they are expensive and chroming down here take a long time to get done. May be I will build one and send it to Jon for chrome work along with the .dxf files maybe I can add it to the line.

Cheers

Squatch,

If they're going to make one, it would be great to use the oem mounting points. That way anyone who bought the Victory one could change to a new one using the same hole pattern. If not, likely no sale to anyone who already went with the Victory rack.

Just a thought,

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave,
Found the rack posted on line from J&P cycles. also Bill in his reference link has one mounted on an XCT. I believe it is Billet Aluminum and goes for about $250.00.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Squatch,

If they're going to make one, it would be great to use the oem mounting points. That way anyone who bought the Victory one could change to a new one using the same hole pattern. If not, likely no sale to anyone who already went with the Victory rack.

Just a thought,
Mark,
Good thought, I will convey that to the guys building, but I need to get the OEM mounting pattern first do you have the pattern?

The design is going to dictate the mounting pattern. WSP's link show the mounted rack from J&P an overhead view, I did not like the lines as they did not follow the contours of the Vic trunk.
Narrowing the back by some 2 inches will follow the trunk line much better. After the narrowing is done mounting points to distribute the load uniformly over the lid will need to be worked out. The OEM VIC rack is a bit narrow in the back and close to center. Not much distribution of load and runs the risk of cracking the trunk or will require a backing plate.

I do like the idea of being able to swap it out with the OEM unit I agree that it could open up another group of customers. My trunk is virgin so I have no design constraints other than following the trim lines.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is aluminum. I do not have a spool gun yet for my mig. I guess I will have to hold off for now. Thanks for the link.
DR,
I do have a spool gun, need a fine blade to make the adjustments. Might give that a try just for Fun.... maybe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts