Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 2011 never had a trunk. just use the backrest and luggage rack when the wife rides with me. rest the time I leave the bag fillers in and run it like that. I have been thinking about a trunk and wondered if it was worth the money. her and I have done week long trips with out it and I have done 4 day trips caring a tent and never had a storage issue. Just looking for some feed back on the trunk.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I keep the trunk off except when touring and then it is great. I normally ride in a half-helmet but when touring I carry a full-face helmet with me for use in the rain. I can store this in the trunk along with plenty of more stuff. My wife rides her own XCT so I don't have to worry about packing for two on one bike and we don't camp so we aren't carrying tents/sleeping bags, etc. but I still like the trunk for the extra space so that I can take riding gear I take when touring such as a heavy jacket, chaps, rain gear, full-face helment as well as tools, normal clothes, computer bag, food, beer, etc. Some of this goes in the saddlebags but some goes in the trunk.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
This is my trunk huge storage and quick on/off and best of all it's under $200 and is designed for the luggage rack. The bag has a sleeve that slides over the luggage rack and snaps to the passenger back rest.

Passenger Rack Bag - Black | Victory Motorcycles

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I use my trunk all the time. While the saddlebag is big enough for my laptop bag, the trunk is easier. Also, I can fit my leather jacket, laptop bag, and helmet all on the bike if I have the trunk. I often ride with my wife and she brings her purse along too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
First Vic was a 2011 XC. Added the backrest and some aftermarket lowers. Got rid of that and bought a 2013 XCT.

Love having the trunk. Provides lots of secure storage. I like having a place I can lock my helmet when I go to the store, and a place to put the groceries when I come out. When touring I can carry everything I need to live on the road comfortably. And I can lock the bike up when going into a resturaunt without the worry of someone walking off with my bag.

The only down side is that it adds weight up high.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Gobs of lockable storage and an extra light are definitely pluses. My wife and I test rode a CCT a few years ago and she absolutely liked riding against the back rest much better than the trunk so that is a big minus. I personally use the back rest \ luggage rack and have different options: for touring I have a Victory Rack Bag and a small roll bag I RockStrap over the top of it. If I need more space I have an expandable soft bag that I can load up that can ride on the passenger seat or fit on top of the Vic Rack Bag

Here's a pic of my solo touring setup(from early last year)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Vision pilot here. I had my trunk removed before I rode the bike off the showroom floor and I doubt it will ever go on. So far the longer trips I have taken have been handled by a nice Tail bag that I mount to the rear seat and that provides me with all the storage I need. Now, if I ever do a long trip with my Wife I would consider mounting the trunk, but I will need a panel to do it because I am not going to cut the one I have. From what I have been hearing those panels are now getting very hard to find, so it may never happen period. Here is a shot of the bag mounted:

·
Registered
189 Posts
The trunk...

Pros:
Tons of extra space.
extra speakers.
extra brake light.
extra 12v power outlet. (My wife keeps her phone charged while we ride)
lockable.
takes 2-5 minutes to add/remove.

Cons:
Wife thinks the standard backrest is more comfortable.
Bike looks better without a trunk or backrest.
expensive.

Hope this helps. I love having it and didn't use it for the first 4 years I owned the thing. Now I keep it on and it is really nice for week or more trips. Extra clothes, shoes/boots, wife's purse, everything. The only time the extra weight is noticeable is when putting around a parking lot or taking it off the side stand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Gobs of lockable storage and an extra light are definitely pluses. My wife and I test rode a CCT a few years ago and she absolutely liked riding against the back rest much better than the trunk so that is a big minus. I personally use the back rest \ luggage rack and have different options: for touring I have a Victory Rack Bag and a small roll bag I RockStrap over the top of it. If I need more space I have an expandable soft bag that I can load up that can ride on the passenger seat or fit on top of the Vic Rack Bag

Here's a pic of my solo touring setup(from early last year)

My neck of the woods. I ride it most every day! Where was that taken.. up by Waynesboro ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I only use mine when touring with my wife along. Solo trips all my gear fits in the saddle bags. But with the wife it's an absolute necessity for all our gear and helmets. She likes it because it's​ like a lounge chair and she can chill out and read her kindle on the long days.

On a side note, what is it with women reading while riding passenger on motorcycle?. All my friends wives do it including mine. I don't mind just seems weird to me.

Sent from my bike doing 80mph

·
Registered
321 Posts
Trunk. Never without lockable rear storage and the S/O like the sense of security leaning back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We've traveled many a mile using a very nice T Bag set up and it worked well. But, I like my trunk better. One of the things I especially like about having this particular box is that it lights up a lot and really shines when I hit the brakes. Wife finds it comfortable, especially with the arm rests, so it stay on , no issues.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
My wife wasn't crazy about riding with me on the XCT (she loved my gold wing). Then, I added the arm rests (plus she lost over 100 lbs!) and she loves it again. The Ultimate seat helps a lot also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Actual carrying capacity I think the most I have had was my 900 Vulcan classic with river roads xl bags and a luggage rack with like a T bag. Being everything was soft sided you could stuff them. I find the Cross country trunk a bit tricky to actually load for a long trip because of the odd shape. But the wife likes it with the arm rests. I'm lazy so it stays on. Sometimes it ends up like the kitchen counter by the door. Lots of stuff ends up in there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The trunk...

Pros:
Tons of extra space.
extra speakers.
extra brake light.
extra 12v power outlet. (My wife keeps her phone charged while we ride)
lockable.
takes 2-5 minutes to add/remove.

Cons:
Wife thinks the standard backrest is more comfortable.
Bike looks better without a trunk or backrest.
expensive.

Hope this helps. I love having it and didn't use it for the first 4 years I owned the thing. Now I keep it on and it is really nice for week or more trips. Extra clothes, shoes/boots, wife's purse, everything. The only time the extra weight is noticeable is when putting around a parking lot or taking it off the side stand.
Pretty much sums it up. Only difference is my wife has never said she liked either/or better.
Trunk holds two full face helmets and more. And yeah, only takes me a minute and a half to pop it off and set it aside on the rack. Cause I do like to solo without the trunk, it is a spry bike then, not that its bad with the trunk, it's just better without it for local putts :grin

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a Kingpin Tour with the lockable leather covered trunk and I freaking LOVE that thing. I'd never had a bike w/ a tour trunk before but I use that thing every single day now. It's big enough to put a helmet, chaps and jacket in if I want, and lock it. It's big enough to put 2 peoples gear in if you aren't riding w/ full faces.
That being said, I really DON'T like the cross and vision trunks. Way overdone and heavy IMO. I've been mulling over getting an XC, but I want to see if I could get my Kingpin trunk on a luggage rack on it. I think it would look fine.. but you can't really tell until you get it on the bike itself. There are times I'd rather have a luggage rack for trips, you can really carry a lot of stuff on a bare rack.. but that trunk is prob one of the best features on my KPT.

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I got my XCT I thought I'd have the trunk hanging on the wall unless my wife was on the back or I was out for a few days. My last bike had hard bags and a rack and we were fine with that but wanted the trunk for security and by the time we added the features we wanted that the XC didn't come stock with it was a no brainer for the tour. I have taken it off many times but have yet to ride without it, too convenient to just have and lock up any lose items along the way.
I enjoy the rear speakers, the extra lighting, stuff I keep in there all the time now and extra lighting I've added to the sides. Other than services that require the trunk being off I will not have it off now.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I've had 4 bikes. The only one that didn't have a trunk was my first one - a 1981 Honda CB750C. Next bikes were a 1987 Suzuki Cavalcade (Suzuki's attempt at a Gold Wing), 2002 Gold Wing, and my XCT. I really don't mind the trunk weight as I'm pretty much used to it. However, it feels like a lighter bike when I take it off :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
69 Posts
Love the space and convenience, hate the way it feels, especially at low speeds. It makes a pretty nimble bagger feel like a top-heavy pig. It's on when my wife rides, or on longer trips; hangs on the garage wall otherwise.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Love the space and convenience, hate the way it feels, especially at low speeds. It makes a pretty nimble bagger feel like a top-heavy pig. It's on when my wife rides, or on longer trips; hangs on the garage wall otherwise.
I feel the same way. Totally different feel when it's on..

Sent from my bike doing 80mph

1 - 20 of 34 Posts