Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know what the Vision riders mean when they say it's a different bike without the trunk. I finally took the trunk off my XCT. Holy hell! What a difference! I like it.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Somewhere around 40 pounds, I haven't tried it yet...:)

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
It has a completely different personality without the trunk. I take it off when I'm by myself, and put it on when the Wife comes along.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try it. You won't believe the difference. It's like a whole new bike!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Somewhere around 40 pounds, I haven't tried it yet...:)
Actually, it's double that. My 2012 shop manual lists the "Dry weight" of the Cross Country as 765 lbs. and its "Wet weight" as 800 lbs. (p. 1.5). The Cross Country Tour weights are given as 845 and 880 (p. 1.7).

I haven't taken the trunk off, either, in all my 2+ years of XCT ownership -- I'm a pack rat, with tools and first aid kit, etc., and I like to put my flip-up helmet in the trunk at lunch stops -- but I can imagine the difference, especially as that extra weight's high up and back, i.e., the worst place for handling.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Iv had mine off several times for maintenace, 40 pounds was my gestimit...:)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Iv had mine off several times for maintenace, 40 pounds was my gestimit...:)
Well, the extra weight of the Tour includes some other stuff -- such as the bigger stock windshield and its brackets, the passenger mini-boards and their mounts, etc. -- so the trunk won't be that full 80 lb. difference. Anybody actually weighed the trunk and its brackets off the bike?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Ushally 2 up, so I don't have the chance to do a test ride, maybe I can sneek out with out it, but it must be a noticeable difference...:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think beyond the weight it is less wind resistance. The trunk can grab a lot of air behind you. When I took mine off I noticed semi trucks didn't affect my ride so much.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you take your trunk off, do yourself a favor, and make a wall mount!I use mine mostly for cleaning. Handles GREAT even with the trunk!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Man, that's a sweet set up for your trunk. cheers

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
The bike has a different personality without the trunk and all the extra weight up high. Makes the bike feel lite. I just have got accustom to all the extra space for shopping. I very rarely drive a four wheel vehicle if I am not working. Ride Safe wac

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Yeah. An empty trunk weighs around 40 lbs with the brackets attached. How many people keep their trunk empty though.

As mentioned; the location of the trunk being high and behind the rear wheel really affects the handling. I almost never use my trunk unless I'm going on a long distance ride. In fact I have the luggage rack off the trunk unless I really need the extra stowing capability.

I have one of the quick release passenger backrests but lately it has been collecting dust. Women my age are usually riding their own or have no interest in riding anymore; if they ever did. Guess I should find a youngun'.

I guess by now everyone knows to keep the heavy stuff in the saddlebags and the light stuff in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you take your trunk off, do yourself a favor, and make a wall mount!I use mine mostly for cleaning. Handles GREAT even with the trunk!!
Really like that wall mount. I'm using mine fron my HD days. It's sits level so the trunk sits up high on an angle. I had to re drill it to move one of the rods but hell it works.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Really like that wall mount. I'm using mine fron my HD days. It's sits level so the trunk sits up high on an angle. I had to re drill it to move one of the rods but hell it works.
I'd like to find a set of plans to make one. I guess I could take the measurements from the bike and figure it out from there.

Do you remember which HD rack you used? Maybe have a link to it?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HD rack I used was a long ago eBay purchase. I think there are some dimensions floating around here. The rods holding it are 10.5" centers and the first one is about 4.75 off the wall. Instead of being parallel if the the rear one was maybe 3-3.5 inches lower than the one closest to the wall it would then prob sit level. Prob could make one out of some lumber sides and 1/2" pipe for rods.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd like to find a set of plans to make one. I guess I could take the measurements from the bike and figure it out from there.

Do you remember which HD rack you used? Maybe have a link to it?
I used 2x6 and 1/2" galvanized pipe! (3/4 OD). Pipe is 10" on center with a 3 1/4" drop. Easy to make and very useful!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's not just the weight it's the weight at top heavy placement which makes it feel like a pass. I put it on for long ride and take off as soon as I get there. I have a pass back rest too if need but go without most of time. It's great. And more nimble feeling.

Aequitas Veritas 2012 XC, imperial blue, Ness mitered bars, D&D exhaust, Ness deep cut grips-pegs-mirrors-gas cap, Hot Vic custom seat, Hot Vic 21" front wheel kit, custom flame paint, Vicbagger imperial blue contrast cut speaker grills

·
Registered
24 Posts
What a nice trunk rack. Great idea. You made that or bought that? If you made it,it has good sale potential, but only limited to trunk owners of this type. Unless you modify it to accommodate other types of trunks. Looks great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts