Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, question for those of you that installed your own OEM trunk onto a 2010 or 2011 XC. The step consisting of bolting the plastic trunk portion to the metal support bracket calls out for NON-matching torque specs. It had 8 ft/lbs or 24 Nm and of course those two do not jeha.

My question is; which one is the correct one to use on the ABS style plastic trunk? The 8 ft/lbs felt to light/loose and the 24 Nm's felt like I was about to suck the bolts thru the dang plastic trunk.

Which do y'all think is the correct spec between the two or do I just need to go with the ole' torque elbow/wrist feels good to me spec?

Thanks, Barry

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey folks, question for those of you that installed your own OEM trunk onto a 2010 or 2011 XC. The step consisting of bolting the plastic trunk portion to the metal support bracket calls out for NON-matching torque specs. It had 8 ft/lbs or 24 Nm and of course those two do not jeha.

My question is; which one is the correct one to use on the ABS style plastic trunk? The 8 ft/lbs felt to light/loose and the 24 Nm's felt like I was about to suck the bolts thru the dang plastic trunk.

Which do y'all think is the correct spec between the two or do I just need to go with the ole' torque elbow/wrist feels good to me spec?

Thanks, Barry

I ignored the directions and just tightened them until I felt they wouldn't come loose.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but how many folks own/use a torque wrench? Heck, only time I've ever seen a professional mechanic, bike, auto, boat, etc, use one was when they were assembling an engine or transmission.

RR

·
Registered
381 Posts
how many folks own/use a torque wrench?
I have two. I use the torque specs whenever I can. They are there for a reason and especially on the smaller bolts it is too easy to snap one by being over zealous. Just me! Do what you feel comfortable with. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Same here as RonBou, I own and use three quite often for the same reasons. Mostly on the dirt bikes (currently have 3) as lots of their little bolts are touchy. Also on the hot rods pertaining to the motors. There ain't no guessing when you're torqueing head bolts, you gotta do it right.

I've got a 1/2" drive racheting Craftsman in Ft/lbs and Nm, a 3/8" drive racheting Craftsman in In/lbs and Nm, and a 3/8" drive tradional "spring" type that I use on car motors.

However, do what feels comfortable for you, I just like knowing it is right on more critical items.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts