Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody converted their XR by adding a trunk / tour pack? If so, please post pictures and provide information on where you got the trunk.

Came close to buying a new XCT yesterday, but decided to keep my XRLE and do some conversions that'll allow me to have it as it is now most of the time, but convert it for longer trips with my wife.

Also looking to add a Wide Open Customs fairing and hard bags.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Anybody converted their XR by adding a trunk / tour pack? If so, please post pictures and provide information on where you got the trunk.

Came close to buying a new XCT yesterday, but decided to keep my XRLE and do some conversions that'll allow me to have it as it is now most of the time, but convert it for longer trips with my wife.

Kingpin Trunk:

Vic_Trunk_2.jpg

Mama digs it:

Gap_2013_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Nice. Thank you. It looks like it's "lock and ride"...easy removal. Is that right? Where did you find it?
Also, which passenger floorboards do you have on there? Do they mount to the same bracket that the stock pegs came off of?
Unfortunately, it is not a quick detach type. I mounted to a Kewlmetal (IIRC) luggage rack. It is held on to the bike's frame with 4 small bolts. Not gonna take too long to get it off, but longer than a quick release. Personally, I never take it off. I keep my compressor, patch kit, disc lock, and toolkit in there. I used a latch that came with my bike to lock it, so it uses the same key as the bike. It's also convenient to throw the GPS in there and lock it up while eating or visiting.

The passenger floorboards are Vic parts. Same as what comes on an XCT. They do bolt right up, but require disassembling the exhausts to get them in.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Saddlebag,

My XR came from [near] Dayton {Franklin} and it had the leather covered bags, which i switched out to color-matched hard bags. I too am looking into a fairing...haven't decided which one just yet. Added a tach, and a Witchdoctor luggage rack as well. I travel alone so just a bag is all I need.

Maybe we should meet up...coffee or a beer.. and discuss these things ?

If you do change to hard bags ?...prepare yourself...the locks are only available in a whole bike kit. Ignition, gas, & bag locks. Damn near $400...meaning the change over is about $1400..The dealer was able to find a 2010 set that he gave me a decent price on...I got lucky

Ron

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I bought an XC trunk for my XR. I couldn't find one in Crimson, so. I had to paint it. It fits on the bike just like the XC. I don't use it often, but it comes in handy once in a while. It usually just sits in our spare room.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought an XC trunk for my XR. I couldn't find one in Crimson, so. I had to paint it. It fits on the bike just like the XC. I don't use it often, but it comes in handy once in a while. It usually just sits in our spare room.
Is that a Wide Open Customs fairing you have? If so, how do you like it?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Saddlebag,

My XR came from [near] Dayton {Franklin} and it had the leather covered bags, which i switched out to color-matched hard bags. I too am looking into a fairing...haven't decided which one just yet. Added a tach, and a Witchdoctor luggage rack as well. I travel alone so just a bag is all I need.

Maybe we should meet up...coffee or a beer.. and discuss these things ?
And take a ride. You're pretty near some nice roads a little east and south of you.

There's a great little country restaurant on 3 just northeast of Morrow. If you go hungry, they'll make you a gigantic omelette for a very reasonable price. I haven't been down there yet this year. This would give me a good excuse. cheers

BTW, you don't happen to work at a Fire Dept near Lebanon do you? Seems I've seen a bike like you describe parked out there a time or two.

·
Registered
483 Posts
And take a ride. You're pretty near some nice roads a little east and south of you.

There's a great little country restaurant on 3 just northeast of Morrow. If you go hungry, they'll make you a gigantic omelette for a very reasonable price. I haven't been down there yet this year. This would give me a good excuse. cheers

BTW, you don't happen to work at a Fire Dept near Lebanon do you? Seems I've seen a bike like you describe parked out there a time or two.
When a good day pops up..ping me & I'll do the same. We'll get one picked out.

No not a fireman, I'm retired.

·
Registered
848 Posts

NC,
Some thoughts on touring with the other half.
1) Comfort is Key ( For Her not you) the security of leaning back on a truck that semi wraps the boady provides a good sense of security that will translate into comfort.
2) Luggage space will be quickly eaten up with stuff, if she is not used to packing light ( back packing style) you will be quite surprised at how quickly the bags and truck get filled up.
3) Touring features I came from the GL1800 community, one of the best bike for long distance touring hands down. That said looking at the XCT I found a few things that I liked better.

- XCT has far more luggange space than a GL1800.
- Wind management is far better in the stock
- Rider comfort is much better too.
- Better fuel mileage
- smoother ride (Stock)

Some things I found necessary on a touring run two up,
1. Communications, either BT or Wired
2. The full fairing offer a bunch of protection from the elements to include stuff flying off vehicles and the road. I like the XCT's ability to open the fairing up (Lowers and Uppers) this adds comfort on hot days and retains heat on colder mornings.
3. Tunes, long days on the road tunes are very nice to have if for nothing else to keep "momma" happy. I-POD, Sat Radio, AM/FM choices help keep the mix.
4. Highway runs, Cruise Control is a great fatigue fighter and will keep you out of tickets.
5 Check the bikes Load capicity and I do not know about the XR, but you are looking at two up plus the bags and trunk full and I bet a top bag on the trunk, that is alot of weight.

If you go the XCT route, add soem budget for Cams, PCV and tuning, you will not go wrong, keep the loud out of the pipes for long runs.

Cheers

Just turned 30,301 miles is past weekend....
and getting ready to head west in August for a 7500 mile run.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a. WOC. I like it. Looks great, good wind protection, stereo, and great quality. I wish the Victory fairing on my Cross. Roads was as well built as the WOC on my Kingpin.
Okay. Thanks for the feedback.

NC,
Some thoughts on touring with the other half.
1) Comfort is Key ( For Her not you) the security of leaning back on a truck that semi wraps the boady provides a good sense of security that will translate into comfort.
Reply:Yep, I agree. She really liked he comfort of leaning back on the XCT that she sat on...in the showroom. Figure I can get the same for my XR by adding a trunk.
2) Luggage space will be quickly eaten up with stuff, if she is not used to packing light ( back packing style) you will be quite surprised at how quickly the bags and truck get filled up.
Reply: We both pack pretty light so should not be a problem.
3) Touring features I came from the GL1800 community, one of the best bike for long distance touring hands down. That said looking at the XCT I found a few things that I liked better.

- XCT has far more luggange space than a GL1800.
- Wind management is far better in the stock
- Rider comfort is much better too.
- Better fuel mileage
- smoother ride (Stock)

Some things I found necessary on a touring run two up,
1. Communications, either BT or Wired
Reply: We already have Sena which is BT. She likes that she can listen to her music and not be bothered by mine. Stated that she would not care for the stero so I would reserve that for when I'm solo.
2. The full fairing offer a bunch of protection from the elements to include stuff flying off vehicles and the road. I like the XCT's ability to open the fairing up (Lowers and Uppers) this adds comfort on hot days and retains heat on colder mornings.
Reply: While not the same as the XCT, the Wide Open Customs fairing should give me most of that and when we're not touring, I'll take it off and go back to the stock windshield.
3. Tunes, long days on the road tunes are very nice to have if for nothing else to keep "momma" happy. I-POD, Sat Radio, AM/FM choices help keep the mix.
Reply: Yep, bluetooth and tunes on phone are the ticket for us.
4. Highway runs, Cruise Control is a great fatigue fighter and will keep you out of tickets.
Reply: My XR has cruise and it even works. I'm set.
5 Check the bikes Load capicity and I do not know about the XR, but you are looking at two up plus the bags and trunk full and I bet a top bag on the trunk, that is alot of weight.

If you go the XCT route, add soem budget for Cams, PCV and tuning, you will not go wrong, keep the loud out of the pipes for long runs.
Reply: already decided that I'm sticking with my XR and putting some touring stuff on it. I already have the power mods which was part of my decision. I also like my colors way more than any of the XCTs that they have...personal choice.

Cheers

Just turned 30,301 miles is past weekend....
and getting ready to head west in August for a 7500 mile run.
Reply: Just about to turn 15K on mine and love every minute of it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
NC,
Heading west 6 Aug, get the XR "toured up" and come along.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NC,
Heading west 6 Aug, get the XR "toured up" and come along.

Cheers
Yeah, I wish. This is going to be a long term project, but I hope to have it all completed for next year's riding season.
Have a great ride and be safe out there.
cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts