Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the Arlen Ness Flybars from a reputable dealer for an awesome price.
Took my bike into the shop (non-Victory) to have bars put on.
I am going from 14" ape hangers to Ness Flybars.
Shop tells me the cables for the Ape hangers are way too long.
I asked around on various other forums and also called Victory.
I was told that the OEM stock length cables will fit. So I ordered the stock braided cables for a nicer look.

Today, I received a phone call from the shop. The braided cables don't fit. Too short.
However, he has never re-installed stock cables on a Victory.
He tried installing them the same way the longer ape hanger cables were, but they are way too short.
Clutch cable is at least 3" too short.
I am assuming that there is some special way they they have to be routed to make them fit.
Does anyone know how they are supposed to be routed correctly?
I searched the service manual and found nothing.

·
13,177 Posts
How long were the cables the shop said were to long.
You want cables with some loop to them so they pull easy.
You must of picked a bad shop if that can't use a tape measure and find the right length.
Once you get the right length call witchdoctor

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have ness ram bars And the stock cables worked just fine I am almost positive the bars are the same or very close

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to add a little insight:

when I initially took the bike to the shop, he looked it over and stated that I would need new cables because the cables on the ape hangers would be too long. I agreed and then he stated that he would have to call and get a price quote for me for new cables. His initial quote was for over $450 for a set of custom made cables from Burly Cable. I though that was extremely high and started calling around. I called Honda East and Paulie told me that the stock cable length would fit. I also called Victory CS and asked them about fitment of the cable with the Ness Flybar. The CS person I spoke with could not help but sent my email address to their engineering team. Their engineering team told me that stock cables will fit with the Ness Flybar. So I called Paulie back from Honda East and ordered the stock length braided cables for a better look.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Factory cables and wiring with my Flybars. Someone doesn't know how to route them apparently.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stock cables will work. Had the Ness Flys on my Vegas.
I guess the tech has not thought to look at a bike in the showroom?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I picked up the bike this afternoon. It is currently disassembled. I am taking it to All out cycle tomorrow (Victory Shop). I kinda felt bad for the guy. He is slammed with work right now and had my bike in his shop for about 2 weeks taking up space. One of his workers broke his humorous and dislocated his elbow, so he is down a worker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts