Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Vages with 10,000 miles on it . And there was a very faint clacking sound coming from the front exhaust pipe when I bought the bike. But now that I have put 5000 more miles on the it , it seems a little louder to the point it bothers me .
And I’m trying to find out what is causing this sound . I check the oil psi , 80 psi , check the front cam spring adjuster ,it look good not frozen up. And I check for a loose baffle inside the front pipe. The sound it’s not consistent like a valve tapping with the RPMs of the motor it’s more of an inconsistent clack clack and then it stops for 2 or 3seconds and does it again . This sound also fades as the motor heats up .
Could this sound be piston slap ?

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Maybe your hydraulic lifters ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
I think its just a bad lifter .
Oh, I read through this thread too fast. I thought you ruled that out. Yeah; sounds like a weak/bad lifter.

Both of mine will tap like crazy when they have sat for a couple weeks without starting. Goes away as soon as the oil pumps them up. My 2011 sat for a couple of months one time and it took a while for the tapping to go away. Probably 2 miles or so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh, I read through this thread too fast. I thought you ruled that out. Yeah; sounds like a weak/bad lifter.

Both of mine will tap like crazy when they have sat for a couple weeks without starting. Goes away as soon as the oil pumps them up. My 2011 sat for a couple of months one time and it took a while for the tapping to go away. Probably 2 miles or so.
I thought that I ruled out the front hydraulic cam chain tensioner . But I have no way of testing it so if it’s cheap like under 50 bucks I might just buy one . The Hydro lifters are up by the valve springs . What the clacking sound is coming from exactly is a hard thing to determine . Which did you replace the hydraulic cam tensioner‘s or hydraulic lifters in the top in the motor ?

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
I thought that I ruled the front hydraulic cam chain tensioner . But I have no way of testing it so if it’s cheap like under 50 bucks I might just buy one . The Hydro lifters are up by the valve springs . What the clacking sound is coming from exactly is a hard thing to determine . Which did you replace the hydraulic cam tensioner‘s or hydraulic lifters and the top in the motor ?
I doubt it's the cam tensioner. I guess it could be. Maybe a faulty part from the maker.

It's more likely to be one of the lifters. If it's a front one; it's easy to get at and pull the valve cover.

I didn't replace anything. They just pumped up and were fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I drained the 15/40 oil from it today and replace it with M1 20/50 . Then ran the bike twice about 3 hours apart for a good cool down . And will say there was no change .

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Sounds like a broken weld inside the pipe. You should be able to hit the pipes with a dead blow hammer or even the heel of your hand when it's cold and get it to rattle if that's what it is. could be a broken pipe shield clamp or even something else loose. Probably not an exhaust leak by the sound of it but I wouldn't rule it out from behind my keyboard. These are things you have to do in person.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sounds like a broken weld inside the pipe. You should be able to hit the pipes with a dead blow hammer or even the heel of your hand when it's cold and get it to rattle if that's what it is. could be a broken pipe shield clamp or even something else loose. Probably not an exhaust leak by the sound of it but I wouldn't rule it out from behind my keyboard. These are things you have to do in person.
I ran into a guy today at a graduation party that says he has a set of curved VH pipes for my bike . I ask to borrow them ,he said no problem give him a call on Monday so this might be my next challenge .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts