Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the best way to tune a 2004 Vegas? Is there a good alternative to a power commander?

I have Stage 1 pipes on it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Anyone know what the best way to tune a 2004 Vegas? Is there a good alternative to a power commander?

I have Stage 1 pipes on it.

Thanks!
Lloydz has a good alternative tuner but any of the Dobeck 3rd gen style tuners will work. The Power Commander 5 (IV) needs a closed loop system to work. It's much more versatile though. All Victory's prior to 2008 are open loop so they need the 3rd gen style.

https://lloydz.com/products/intake-and-fuel-control/lloydz-victory-fuel-controller-gen-3-vfc-iii/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! The closed/open loop is helpful information. One question though, are you sure I can't use a PC5? You said 4 in roman numerals but I dont see a PC4 out there...

I went on the Dynojet website and they say that they discontinued the PC3 and that now they have a PC5 for my model bike? see the link below. Can i buy any power commander off ebay to fit my bike? or are there different power commanders for different bikes, ie victory, harley, honda, etc...

Power Commander Motorcycle Fuel Injection Tuning Module

Thanks for your help!
Alex

·
Registered
220 Posts
Actually, any tuner will work. You want one that doesn't require downloading a map. There are many in the $200 range with +- buttons so you can tune it yourself. I have an autotune that connects to a Power Commander, if you decide to go with the PC5..

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Can i buy any power commander off ebay to fit my bike? or are there different power commanders for different bikes, ie victory, harley, honda, etc...

Alex
To answer that question I think not.
As far as I know the plugs and inputs to each powercommander model are tailored to the bike, ECM, sensor etc.
You need the correct power commander designed to work on your make and model bike or you are unlikely to ever get it to work properly. If you can find that on Ebay it will work but it has to be for your bike.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Thanks for the reply! The closed/open loop is helpful information. One question though, are you sure I can't use a PC5? You said 4 in roman numerals but I dont see a PC4 out there...

I went on the Dynojet website and they say that they discontinued the PC3 and that now they have a PC5 for my model bike? see the link below. Can i buy any power commander off ebay to fit my bike? or are there different power commanders for different bikes, ie victory, harley, honda, etc...

Power Commander Motorcycle Fuel Injection Tuning Module

Thanks for your help!
Alex
I typed VI wrong. You're right there is no 4. The correct PC for your bike would be the 3. The 5 won't work. You need the feedback of the O2 sensors and the onboard ECM (computer) to process that info. The pre-08's don't have that and they can't be retrofitted to my knowledge.

As Joe said; get the one listed for your 04 Victory. If it were me; I'd get the Lloydz tuner or the PC3 simply because you will find it much easier to get and set the dip switches or whatever they use for your initial set up. Then you can make small changes to tune it in or get it dyno tuned. Victory's like to run a bit on the rich side.

·
13,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
The newer PCV will work on 100” bikes with open loop. What ever you do, do not select the rev extend on the PCV for the 100” as it has been known to cause issues. It will buck like a wild bronco when you ride. Acts like a short in the system. As soon as we un-select it, bikes ran fine and we’re able to tune them.

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
PCIII worked great on my 04 Vegas that I used to own.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
The newer PCV will work on 100” bikes with open loop. What ever you do, do not select the rev extend on the PCV for the 100” as it has been known to cause issues. It will buck like a wild bronco when you ride. Acts like a short in the system. As soon as we un-select it, bikes ran fine and we’re able to tune them.
That's interesting. I didn't know this. So the early PC5's wouldn't work but the newer ones do? Is there a way to tell which ones will work without installing them?

What about the 92" Vic's? Will the newer PC5's work on those too?

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
That's interesting. I didn't know this. So the early PC5's wouldn't work but the newer ones do? Is there a way to tell which ones will work without installing them?

What about the 92" Vic's? Will the newer PC5's work on those too?
Fitment
Fitment for PART # 19-050
Year Make Model:
2003 VICTORY KINGPIN
2003 VICTORY VEGAS
2004 VICTORY KINGPIN
2004 VICTORY VEGAS
2005 VICTORY KINGPIN
2005 VICTORY VEGAS
2006 VICTORY KINGPIN
2006 VICTORY VEGAS
2007 VICTORY JACKPOT
2007 VICTORY KINGPIN

·
Registered
72 Posts
>Anyone know what the best way to tune a 2004 Vegas? Is there a good alternative to a power commander?

I have Stage 1 pipes on it. Thanks!<

You may not need to tune it at all if all you have done is added a different exhaust system. I have never used a tuner unless I have altered the intake as well. Take her for a putt and see how she responds. If you do not get any pinging or hesitation when accelerating the mixture may be fine. Ride her a bit and then sometime when you can run her out run her up to highway speeds (80mph) for for 5-10 minutes, pull off the freeway, hit the kill switch, let her cool a bit and then check the plugs. They will probably look like they did before you changed the exhaust.

If you want to run a tuner with the idea of improving performance the Dobeck is a good choice. I put one on my 04 v92tc after I drilled the pipes and added the S&S air cleaner assembly. I used the unit as it was set from the factory with very nice results.

I also used one on my 15 Gunner with Bassani Road Rage exhaust and a K&N Filter with some drilling done on the stock air box. The pipes were too load for me but I altered the baffle a bit and they came into my comfort zone.
At any rate, I had popping on decel, :frown, and the stock Dobeck setting was nowhere near where I needed to go to get rid of the "pop". After a number of tries I am happy with the sound 99% of the time.

Have fun. Ride safe.

Attachments

·
13,048 Posts
with fuel injection and gasoline with no lead in it checking plugs is a waist of time it will tell you nothing.
The only true way to read plugs is look at the bottom of the porcelain

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a v92 on a 2005 touring cruiser that has the Arlen ness Big Shot fuel tuner. The bike has D&D pipes and a K&N air filter. This seems to have been the setup around that time period. It runs fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts