Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turban-wearing Sikhs In Alberta Allowed To Ride Motorcycles Without A Helmet Starting April 12. During decades in North America the Sikh community has requested for this exemption in recognition of its civil rights and religious expression. Province of Alberta joins Manitoba and British Columbia in allowing exemption, which comes into effect in Alberta on April 12

·
Registered
158 Posts
While I would never get on a bike without a lid I don't care if you choose to ride without one with one caveat. Those who chose to ride without a helmet, Sikh or otherwise, should not be able to pass the burden of the massive medical bill that will inevitably arise in a collision. A helmet has saved my life twice, so for me there is no other piece of safety equipment more valuable.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Living in Alberta I think my issue with this is that everyone else must ware a helmet. If one group is not required then it should be a choice for everyone. Once again the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Turban-wearing Sikhs In Alberta Allowed To Ride Motorcycles Without A Helmet Starting April 12. During decades in North America the Sikh community has requested for this exemption in recognition of its civil rights and religious expression. Province of Alberta joins Manitoba and British Columbia in allowing exemption, which comes into effect in Alberta on April 12
Well this is going to certainly open the door to complete social break-down and anarchy in the streets ....I almost feel safer in America now.............:laugh LMFAO :ltr:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Can a person really keep a turban on while riding a motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Can a person really keep a turban on while riding a motorcycle?

I think that is the more valid question here.

I refuse to be part of any group that would have me as a member.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Living in Alberta I think my issue with this is that everyone else must ware a helmet. If one group is not required then it should be a choice for everyone. Once again the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I think this would also be my main complaint even though i wear a helmet all the time anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
And so it begins.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
And so it begins.

Canada actually extending some freedoms to its citizens? Yeah, I think it’s a good thing too.

I refuse to be part of any group that would have me as a member.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Can a person really keep a turban on while riding a motorcycle? Depends on how many bobbypins they use! Also which fairing does not buffit their turban around. THIS actually imposes another question: Is not their hair covered up while under the helmet, is that not the purpose of the turban? I know I should look up the facts, but it is NOT really important to me. If this pisses people off to bad.
:eek:eek

·
Registered
332 Posts
While I would never get on a bike without a lid I don't care if you choose to ride without one with one caveat. Those who chose to ride without a helmet, Sikh or otherwise, should not be able to pass the burden of the massive medical bill that will inevitably arise in a collision. A helmet has saved my life twice, so for me there is no other piece of safety equipment more valuable.
So should those who wear a helmet be able to pass on those same medical bills or are you saying helmets prevent medical bills?

·
Registered
158 Posts
So should those who wear a helmet be able to pass on those same medical bills or are you saying helmets prevent medical bills?
In BC we have Provincial Medical, so costs are born by all of us. There is no doubt that wearing a lid will drastically mitigate the chance of catastrophic and expensive head injuries. Both Public and Private insurers pass those costs to consumers in the end. I think we have a duty to take risk for ourselves, not necessarily for others. I know, slippery slope, but just like seat belts have lessened the overall cost of life and limb, helmets have saved lives and prevented many from life attached to respirators.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
A heavy fibreglass full face bouncing along the road can easy break a neck.

Reactions: theja1

·
Registered
332 Posts
In BC we have Provincial Medical, so costs are born by all of us. There is no doubt that wearing a lid will drastically mitigate the chance of catastrophic and expensive head injuries. Both Public and Private insurers pass those costs to consumers in the end. I think we have a duty to take risk for ourselves, not necessarily for others. I know, slippery slope, but just like seat belts have lessened the overall cost of life and limb, helmets have saved lives and prevented many from life attached to respirators.
I think a better overall plan is to have an Advanced Directive. Me personally, in the case of vegetation I will not be plugged in for very long.

·
Registered
540 Posts
to be fair, how many of these guys do you really think are going to ride something bigger than a Honda Elite or Metropolitan 50? max speed is what 30 mph or what 75kmh? methinks if they were on a sportbike or a bigger cruiser, that turbin would inflate like a huge parachute and look like toadstool from Super Mario..

but you know, maybe they could get one of those covers for the helmets that make it look like they are wearing a turbin...

:devil

·
Registered
348 Posts
In Alberta some insurance companies are offering discounts if you have a security system in your house or fire protection sprinklers. They also discount insurance if you have a video camera in your car for accident occurrences. If helmets were made optional I would think the same should be true. If you ware one you should pay less for insurance.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Sikhs in the police force ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts