Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently acquired a 2012 Cross Country. I've noticed that the turn signals seems to self-cancel quickly and randomly. I haven't figured out a pattern, but it seems that sometimes they cancel after 3 seconds and sometimes they go longer (10 sec?). But in most cases they tend to self-cancel before I complete a turn.

The owner's manual references that they cancel based on 'pre-set distance and speed parameters'. But it says nothing about what they are. Does anyone have more insight?

By the way, the only way I activate them is by just sliding the switch one direction or the other in a swift manner. I don't hold the switch for a second or more, which the manual says is a 'momentary feature'.

Thanks,
Rob

·
13,047 Posts
Welcome to the club
I don't think any one uderstands why. You will get the hang of it to make them work better in time.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you push and hold the switch for a few seconds, it will shut off the light as soon as you release the switch. If you push and release the switch it turns off after a determined time depending on your speed. thumb up

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you push and hold the switch for a few seconds, it will shut off the light as soon as you release the switch. If you push and release the switch it turns off after a determined time depending on your speed. thumb up
Thanks. I got that from the manual. I only use them the second method. I'm trying to understand the 'depending on your speed' stuff because it seems inconsistent and non-intuitive.

Rob

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Be glad they cancel--many bikes don't have that feature.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If you are sitting at a stop with the signal on; it will blink until you turn it off or you do the turn. It should turn off after the turn and get straighten out. If you are going slow after the turn it might not turn off until 10 miles an hour or so.
When rolling and approaching a turn; the blinker should turn off soon after the turn. I think there might be a lean angle sensor that helps reset the blinker to off also.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be glad they cancel--many bikes don't have that feature.
Well, since they are cancelling very quickly and not being effective I'd rather have a non-cancelling system. Better to have to manually turn them off than try a turn with no signal.

Rob

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
OK...here's how the turn signals REALLY work:

Turn Signal Switch
With the ignition key in the ON or PARK position, the turn
signal switch will activate the turn signals.
• Push the switch left to activate left turn signals
• Push the switch right to activate right turn signals
• To manually cancel either turn signal, push the
switch straight in toward housing when the switch
is in the center position.
If activated below 15mph* (24 kph), the turn signals cancel
automatically, shortly after the vehicle speed reaches
15mph. If a signal is activated with vehicle speed above 15
mph, cancellation will occur based on distance traveled.
NOTE: If a signal is activated above 15 mph and vehicle
speed drops below 15 mph, cancellation will occur shortly
after speed again reaches 15 mph.
* The 15mph speed is approximate.

ALSO

Turn Signal Momentary Feature
When passing a vehicle or when changing lanes, you have
the option of using the momentary feature built in to the
turn signal auto-cancel system.
Push the turn signal switch in the direction you wish to turn
and hold it in that position for at least 1 second. The
momentary feature will activate and the signal will cancel
when you release the switch.

Hopefully, this clears it up.

Wally

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wally,

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated. I think my bike is not working correctly based on that. When I'm driving at highway speeds (say 45+), the signal seems to cancel within 3 seconds the first time activated, and goes for 10 or so seconds when re-activated after that. Three seconds is not a very long distance even at highway speeds... certainly not typical signal lead time to a upcoming intersection.

I have a neighbor with a '12 CCT that I can check with to see how things compare. Maybe I need some warranty work...

Rob

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Wally: good info.

However (and this is not your fault, of course):

1) "If a signal is activated with vehicle speed above 15mph, cancellation will occur based on distance traveled."

This means that if you start the signal > 15mph and never drop below 15, the system is distance-based only. Wonder why they don't tell us what that distance is, even approximately.

2) Personally, with two seasons and 18,000+ on my XCT, I find that the signals often cancel earlier than I'd like. I often find myself hitting them (momentary action) a second time for the same turn, because they've stopped blinking too soon. Oh, waiting at a light for minutes on end, they work fine. I'll have to observe the situation more closely now, what with the "15" info.

I appreciate the self-canceling nature, for those rare instances in prior bikes that I may have forgotten to turn them off. OTOH, I still dislike how quickly they turn themselves off, at least in some situations; this is a dangerous thing, because if they go off too early, cars in front and behind me will no longer know what I'm up to.

So, IMHO, there's still some work that needs to be done on the formula. I'm still not sure whether I'd prefer to have a completely manual system.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
BTW (re-reading my post), when I said, "I'm still not sure whether I'd prefer to have a completely manual system," I mean manual in terms of self-canceling. That is, I like turn signals on a bike, but I'm not sure I like the electronics that turns them off -- when it wants to, rather than when I want to -- is all.

I rode a 650 Burgman... scooter... for five years before getting the XCT. On that machine, I missed the part of bike-riding that requires shifting -- the vicseral experience of rowing the gears -- and the extra control it brings. OTOH, the auto tranny was welcome when stopping on steep hills or when riding in traffic jams in New York City, for instance. Just another example of the good and bad of automation...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After several hundred miles of riding this spring I still have not figured out any pattern to the turn signal cancelling. Probably 60% of the time when driving at highway speeds (above 45) my signals will cancel at 3 seconds after activation. Other times they keep going for considerably longer (10+ seconds). Three seconds is never enough time for signaling when approaching a turn while driving at highway speeds. After turning them on and having them cancel in 3 seconds, when I immediately activate them again they will always go the longer duration. But what happens the time after they have gone longer is always random. It baffles me that Victory would do this.

I have to bring my cycle to a dealer for other things soon so I'll mention it, but I highly doubt whether they will figure out a cause or find a resolution.

Is there any way to disable the auto canceller so I can just run them manually (i.e. turn them off myself)? My Hondas are both like that and I'm very used to that mode of signal operation.

Rob

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you push and hold the turn signal switch for 2 + seconds, they will go off as soon as you release the switch. If you push and instantly release the switch they will stay on for a time/speed related amount of time. At least that is the way they do on my 2010 XC, and the way it is explained in the operators manual. The system is flawless on my bike (once I read and understood the way they were designed to work. thumb up

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Understood. But I always just push them once to the desired side and release promptly. I never hold them. And I'm consistent in that.

Rob

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have noticed at times my '13 xc does this as well. Seems only to be on the right side. If it shuts off quickly and I hit it again its normal. Meaning it stays on for awhile. I know what you are describing big blue. I've tried to replicate it and its temperamental.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Add me to the list of those that don't find these turn signals user friendly. Rarely are the signals doing what I think they are. Frustrating to have them self cancel all the time before I've made the turn.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't think I ever really notice the self cancel since I am just so used to cancelling them manually, i just push the button after the turn. Frankly I'd be fine with finding a way to just disable the auto-cancel thing. It seemed like a neat thing when I bought the bike but now that it's clear I won't utilize it anyway I see no reason to maintain that extra level of electrical complexity if I can get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Wally provided some detailed info in post #8 in this thread. That said, I just turned 20,000 miles yesterday on my '12 XCT, and I still don't feel comfortable with the system, and I'm still never sure what's going on, and I quite often feel that they cancel too early... which I think is probably a worse safety factor than canceling too late.

I do a lot of riding with a buddy who has a '12 BMW R1200RT. That bike has self-canceling signals, too, and when he's riding point I notice that they almost always -- or maybe always -- stay on longer than the ones on my XCT.

I never hold the signal button -- just flick it. But I have developed the habit of keeping track of them after use. That is, I now have the habit of keeping an eye on them, after my flick, to see whether I have to flick them again... because they've canceled prematurely. That happens a lot of the time, way too often. And that's not a great habit, because it means it's one more thing to distract my attention from the road and traffic.

Whatever the formulas the computer is using are, I think they need adjustment. Based on my experiences now, I think if offered the possibility of turning off the self-canceling feature, I'd go for that, i.e., disable that feature. I'd then just have to remember to manually cancel the signals; I'm used to doing that from all my prior bikes, and it's something you can deal with after you've made a turn, exit, etc., which is at a time when accidents are much less likely to occur -- and, you do that with your thumb, you don't need to take your eyes off of anything (as opposed to using my eyes now, to make sure they haven't canceled early).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts